New Mexico Mule Deer

Alright New Mexico mule deer guru’s, I’m hoping for some local knowledge on how your mule deer behave in early to mid-November. I get to come visit you from Oregon for a muley rifle hunt. Our eastern Oregon rut is from about November 15 to Thanksgiving but it sounds like your rut is much, much later. I’ve heard that the bigger mule deer are the last to leave the mountains when the snow starts building, is that similar to what you’ve seen? Would this hunt be during their migration or would it have to be a really bad winter to get them to start moving?

Do they have a preferred forage in November? Are they steep and deep like the elk or are they more relaxed given the relatively few tags given out. Any local guys doing podcasts on NM muleys?

Is private land generally private in New Mexico? For example, my wife and I did a cow hunt in unit 10 AZ. On first inspection that unit looks to be about 5% public. However several ranches are public access and the unit seems to be closer to 80% public (access).

Is it legal to use motorized vehicles on most forest service/blm roads? For us that varies drastically by unit, some units have many roads closed, other units have no roads closed… Obviously no motorized vehicles in wilderness.

A lot to unpack here but thanks for any help and I look forward to checking out NM!

Gonna depend a ton on what unit. 20 or so years ago I drew a mid November tag in unit 13. Just figured it was a rut or pre rut tag since it’s high elevation and gets cold as hell there in the winter. Saw one buck in 5 days and killed him and he still had some velvet on his antlers in mid November. Turns out they rut in January in there. I think in the northern units they rut in late November though. No idea about the southern units.

Our deer don’t migrate except in very north part of state. Rut can be from mid Nov until mid January depending on where in the state you are. Big changes from north to south.

For deer private is private.

Yes motorized vehicle legal on forest roads and blm but not off road in majority of forest/blm

For deer private is private.
Right, I forgot I knew that. I really like that NM splits a tag into public or private. Maybe there are some consequences to it that I'm not aware of.

For us, a mid-October hunt is early in the day and late at night with a lot of glassing where possible, sounds like what to expect here.

Right, I forgot I knew that. I really like that NM splits a tag into public or private. Maybe there are some consequences to it that I'm not aware of.

For us, a mid-October hunt is early in the day and late at night with a lot of glassing where possible, sounds like what to expect here.
Yessir , glass glass glass! Most movement will be at dawn and dusk but you stay diligent through the day to catch the big deer slipping!

I'd be happy to help if you can dial in which part of the state you'll be in, like stated above Northern deer will have completely different rut, feed and other habits then southern to even mid state deer.
PM sent. Thanks to those wanting specifics but I really don't want this thread to devolve into an arizonahuntingforums thread. So I'm leaving the unit out deliberately.

Already learned a lot off searching this forum and this thread. Surprised with how different their behavior is but it makes sense, I'd act different too if I lived 1000 miles south!

The age old question. If you had 2 weeks for a 5 day hunt would you show up early and scout right into the hunt or would you come down for several days in August when they are more prone to showing themselves? Since the bow and muzzy hunters will already have a crack at them and all the elk hunters in the woods, I think using all the time scouting right in into the hunt makes the most sense.

^^^Agreed, more value here.

I've done the early scouting and IMO it accomplishes two things. Getting the overall lay of the land and helping to pin point your e-scouting. Not saying it's not good, but more a fun trip IMO.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom