New Mexico Pronghorn Unit 58

30PointBuck

I drew a NM Unit 58 rifle tag for pronghorn for the last season. I am looking for any helpful information. It seems like the right time for a scouting trip.

A couple questions for anyone that can help:
1. Is there enough public land to not worry about contacting land owners? Even after two other seasons?
2. Does anyone have generic recommendations of the best part of the unit to start with: north, east, west, south?

Thanks!

Also be aware you can't camp on State Land. I doubt you'll find any private that will allow you to hunt for free. Since they can sell as many private land tags as they want, why would they allow someone to hunt for free?
Good luck.

Also be aware you can't camp on State Land. I doubt you'll find any private that will allow you to hunt for free. Since they can sell as many private land tags as they want, why would they allow someone to hunt for free?
Good luck.
Thanks for the heads up about the State Land.

About 80% of that unit is private land, some public land is not accessible. It would be beneficial to scout for accessible public land. I’ve been puting in for that unit for years, congratulations on getting a tag!
Any suggestions on how selective I can be this coming weekend? I will be on public covering as much ground as I can. Thanks!

Best way to be selective is to drive the unit and see what's left even on private those goats move around a lot.

I would start the hunt from the east with the sun at your back and head west. Then hunt back east in the afternoon/evening, also depending on where you are staying at and what you find.

Always a few good goats, my dad shot a 81" goat when he drew that tag 4 yrs ago. We saw the goat on private the day before his hunt started.

Best way to be selective is to drive the unit and see what's left even on private those goats move around a lot.

I would start the hunt from the east with the sun at your back and head west. Then hunt back east in the afternoon/evening, also depending on where you are staying at and what you find.

Always a few good goats, my dad shot a 81" goat when he drew that tag 4 yrs ago. We saw the goat on private the day before his hunt started.
Awesome information. Thanks for the tips. The sun at back is super useful.

There is literally antelope all over this unit . We went 3 for 3 last year on this tag. Any state land you find holds goats lots of animals but it is not known for huge bucks. If you find an 80 incher crack him right away . CHeck every piece of state land even the small squares . You will not have any problem finding goats

There is literally antelope all over this unit . We went 3 for 3 last year on this tag. Any state land you find holds goats lots of animals but it is not known for huge bucks. If you find an 80 incher crack him right away . CHeck every piece of state land even the small squares . You will not have any problem finding goats
Did you have the 3rd season tag?

Last year all the seasons were stacked back to back we had two tags for the seocnd and one tag for the last season . they were in mid -late august last year. Not sure why game and fish made that change but this year they went back to normal .

Last year all the seasons were stacked back to back we had two tags for the seocnd and one tag for the last season . they were in mid -late august last year. Not sure why game and fish made that change but this year they wnt back to normal .
I had a tough time finding pronghorn this October. But, I did get the job done. Checking every little piece of land, like you advised, was the key!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom