New Mexico Question

Phantom Hunter

Very Active Member
Comparing 5B and 6A which has larger bulls? Which has a higher population? Is the country more open in one than the other? Just wondering and hoping someone would share a little knowledge. Feel free to PM me is so desired. Thanks.

Phantom Hunter

6A has more elk and is a much better elk unit than 5B. I've hunted both and as for elk will pass on unit 5B. I've hunted three times in 6 and killed a two elk , one w/muzzleloader and one with bow.I bow hunted 5B and had a rough rough time. Deer thrive in 5B but only 15 tags make it crazy hard to draw , but I'd look at another uit for elk....just my .02...Larry But if you do decide on putting 5b as one of your choices let me know and I'll tell you what I can to help you , just a real tough archery hunt...6A AND C ARE MUCH BETTER

i know both units very well, and i can tell you that 6a is a lot better of a unit, it has more elk and bigger elk, 5b is a lot easier to draw though, and there is elk ther it just isnt as good of a area, Granted that i know people who have done well, the population just isnt that dense. i really like 6a it is a rewarding unit if you put some work into it, especially the second archery hunt is really nice, best of luck to ya!

Thanks for the info. It is vey helpful. I do like the idea of the wilderness area in 6A. Sounds like a place to use our horses to get away from the crowds??

Phantom Hunter

oh yes....horses works good for 6A, go to San Pedro Wilderness...or Hunt north of Fenton state park...

vinihunt

Would it be better to pack a camp into the wilderness or camp beside the truck and ride in each day? Is there water available for horses at the trailheads?

Phantom Hunter

i think both work out fine..either at camp or wilderness..there should be plentiful of water to find...we got good snow this year for the Jemez.
ask NMHUNTNUTT again....

vinihunt

yeah i got a small place right by one of the trail heads..got plenty of snow this year

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom