New mexico Unit 13 or 15 for ELK

B

bullmania

What size bulls are they killind on these units ???

Which of the 2 would be the best ???

Thanks for the info.

Bull

Both units have potential for 400" bulls, Unit 15 is mostly forest and has way more access, unit 13 lots of private land and very little access. I would go with 15 unless you have access to private land.

www.gilawildernesshunting.com

I would go with 17 first! And then as a stater yeah 15 but I like 13 better. Averages for me are bigger bulls in 13. 15 seems to have this great big bull image, but I feel 13 has more big bull potential. 13 takes MEGA work to learn though, good luck, you'll have a good hunt on any of them!
Travis
www.southwesthuntingadventures.com

agree with other comments, however having hunted 13 5 or 6 times I would never reccommend it to someone who cant spend alot of time in the unit scouting. there are giants in the unit, but many people hunt this unit and are very dissappointed. most of the big bulls are on private land a majority of time. however they do move back and forth and can be killed on public. elk density is low on public land in this unit.

15 has a much higher density, and there are 400 inch bulls in this unit. you are more likely to be into elk on a regular basis than in 13.

good luck with the landowner tag, they are out of control this year. i used to buy them for $1200 just 4 or 5 years ago. it wasnt too long 13 was an over the counter hunt... ahh, the good old days.

I used to hunt 17 nearly every year in the 80's. There has never been a lot of elk in there and it's a huge area. Some of the best areas don't have good access. However, after a couple years hunting 17, you should be able to get into the elk every year and I saw an elk in there that was bigger than any other elk I ever saw, including bigger than any elk I've seen in pictures. But I don't put in for 17 because its too hard to draw now. Unit 15 seems to have a lot more elk and good access. But I've never hunted 15, just been in there for other reasons. I wouldn't put in for 15 because its too hard to draw. If you are going to buy a landowner license, 15 might be a good unit, but way out of my price range. I hunted unit 13 several times when it was over the counter for muzzleloader and for deer. There are some good places to elk hunt, but you have to find them. That may take a week or two. These are all good units if you can get a license and spend the time to find the elk, so I would recommend them to anyone. IMO, there are other units that are as good, and easier to draw. I put in for the easier draws because my first choice is to hunt.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom