New Mexico unit 23 mule deer

CJhunter26

2022 Hunting report on NM unit 23 November Rifle Mule Deer. Be prepared to not see very many Deer and even fewer bucks. What I found most difficult was figuring out a spot where there weren’t roads and hunters. This country is littered with both! This unit can be extremely frustrating so be prepared when you apply. Great camping locations and very good bladed roads everywhere. If you like to coyote hunt this unit is invested with them as well.

Over 5 days scouting and 5 days hunting saw 30 doe scattered across the entire unit. Only saw 2 small barely bucks in those combined 10 days.

I feel your pain CJ. Unfortunately my report of this hunt is similar. Didn't spend quite as much time out there but only saw two groups of deer that had spikes and small two-points in them. One of those groups was on the side of road in a spot we weren't even hunting in, but had stopped to take a leak.

Getting up high enough and looking at enough country, I seem to always be able to at least find does. I had seen some decent bucks during the archery elk hunt, but I was genuinely surprised to see as few deer as we did. I think the moon was working against us, but I'm curious what others might think have limited the deer sightings.

I believe they issued 1160 Mule deer Tags for this unit in 22'....Not including the Burros Mtns or Whitetails or Youth tags either.
756 Rifle Tags
215 Archery Tags
189 Muzzy Tags
It is indeed a tough hunt....

I believe they issued 1160 Mule deer Tags for this unit in 22'....Not including the Burros Mtns or Whitetails or Youth tags either.
756 Rifle Tags
215 Archery Tags
189 Muzzy Tags
It is indeed a tough hunt....
I believe it is more than that. There are more cattle than big game animals. Even elk numbers were terrible.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom