New Rifle and Scope $1,500 Max

R

RANGER690

Hi,

If you had $1500 to spend on a new rifle with scope, What would the combination be? Using it for deer, elk, antelope. Long range accuracy a must.

Rifle Bolt action 3-400 max shots
Scope 3-400 max shots
Caliber

My initial thought was a Browning CDL Medallion (because it has a clip and looks nice)

A Leopold 3-10 VX111

Caliber 7mm-08

What do you guys think, i want to stay away from high recoil.

Remington model 700 7mm mag with a leupold vary XIII scope, talley rings. Good for long range work.I have not found a better out of the box accuracy production rifle than the model 700.7mm mag might be a little higher on the recoil scale but it will cover you for all north american big game.

the 7mm-08 is an awesome caliber but I would stay away from it for those long range shots on deer & elk..I own one & I smoked a cow with one shot from 308 yards but I also had all day too set up & I shot her in the neck {broke it} I would go with the 300 win mag myself or the 300 wsm {a little flatter a little faster but also around $50 a box} 300 win u can still get for under $30 a box the 7mm is also a awesome caliber..if u have a weaver dealer in your area check them out I just looked at the new grand slam series very clear & around $350 for a 4.5 x 14

I like the Browing for the same reason. I personally like clips with a bolt action but some don't. I'm a total Leupold fan and I like the 7MM for all around with maybe a little lighter bullet for antelope. The recoil is a little stronger but I never notice that except when shooting a target.

Good luck

Jazz

6.5x284 IMO is one of the best balances of recoil and long range capability of any caliber I have ever shot. It's recoil is somewhere between a 25 06 and a 270 however it has similar ballistics to a 7mm mag.It is currently one of the hottest calibers in the 1000yd F class arena for the reasons I mentioned above.Buy a 700 action and have a gun smith true the action and throw a match grade barrel chambered in a 6.5x284. The accuracy of this gun, especially at long ranges, will wow you.

I agree with cabinfever in getting a good action and sending it to a gunsmith. You'll get more for your money than buying a $1,000 rifle. I'm having a .30-06 Ackley Improved built in the next few weeks on an action and stock that I already had and it's going to be under $500 for the barrel and custom work. The 6.5x284 would be a good gun but there are quite a few calibers that will fit your bill. It just depends more on how much recoil you are willing to tolerate. I'd personally stay away from the big .30 'mag' calibers. You aren't going to want to shoot them enough to get good enough at long ranges...

I would top the rifle off with a Vortex Viper 6.5-20.
I think you can get them for around 500.

Thanks for the info guys, really got me thinking. I guess i dont need the caliber for antelope as i already have a .243
Keep the knowledge coming.

Remington 700 270 Win. stainless/synthetic....around $600
Meopta Artemis 2000 3-12x50 scope.............around $650
Warne rings and bases.........................around $60
______
$1310

There are so many calibers and rifles to choose from nowadays. You should consider a few things such as price of ammo(if you dont handload), ease of getting ammo, how much recoil you can handle. As far as rifles Id say a rem 700 in whatever stock you like. Either wood, laminate or synthetic. As far as caliber Id say 7mm or 300win would be perfect for elk and deer. Good luck

This is my situation, I am from Northern Wisconsin where i hunt whitetails with a Browning Bar (safari) .30-06. I hunt heavy brush where long range accuracy is not to important. On this gun i have a Leupold VII 2-7 power scope, im having difficulties with accuracy on the range of over 100 yds. This could be due to my low power scope, or my ammo i use which is Win. 165 grain silver box.

I also have a Ruger M77 with a 3-9 Nikon Monarch shooting 100 grain Win. siver box, i am kinda ok for accuracy out to 225 yds (furthest distance at our range) groups of about 6" diameter. Again maybe the cheaper ammo im using. I shot my first and only mule deer out in New Mexico this year with it.

The reason for this post is because i was thinking of treating myself to a new rifle to use outwest in the future years. I am starting to rethink my situation about just going with a 3-10 power scope on my .30-06 and using better ammo to try and tighten my groups for longer range shooting outwest.

On another note, a friend of mine just won a brand new Ruger M77 stainless/synthetic 7mm mag he said he would sell me for $500. That could be a way to go also.

What do you guys think about re-powering my scope on the .30-06 and shooting different (more accurate) bullets, or buying the 7mm and adding a scope. I think i want to have a 3-10 power scope so i can also use these in Wisconsin.

Hope im not annoying anyone, but its a hard decision money wise in this economy.

Thanks,

Mike

Remington 700 or browning 7 mag take to gunsmith action trued, muzzle brake, leupold 4-12. take the money you have left and hire some one to drag the carcasses of the hill

"I also have a Ruger M77 with a 3-9 Nikon Monarch shooting 100 grain Win. siver box, i am kinda ok for accuracy out to 225 yds (furthest distance at our range) groups of about 6" diameter. Again maybe the cheaper ammo im using. I shot my first and only mule deer out in New Mexico this year with it."

I cannot see why that set up would only get you a 6 inch group at 225 yards. It should be WAY better than that.

It is probably related to: Your Rest, or Jerking.

Just my guess.

Everyone here is going to have their own opinion bit if it were me (and Jack O'Conner) I would take a .270. Based on your request of a light recoiling rifle good to 400 yards very few rifles have anything to offer over a tried and true .270. Although they can be had for less, again based on your criteria I would get either the Remmington Model 700 CDL SF or the Browning X bolt Stainless Stalker. Both are comperably priced right around $925.00. Go with a blued version of either for around $800 (online). Throw a Leupold VX-3 or Ziess conquest scope on it and you should end up right at or below your $1500.00 ceiling.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-12-10 AT 04:07PM (MST)[p]I would suggest that you try some different ammo. Those winchester are IMO pretty cheap. Also you rifle may not like those bullets. You could try so many different bullets in an array of price ranges. As far as decent cheaper ammo I would say remington Corelockts in 165gr for the 30-06. There are many other options such as federal premium, nosler, hornady and others. I would try some other types of ammo. With that setup i would expect some decent 1 1/2" groups at 100yrds. For your 243 I would choose a good premium bullet such as barnes Tsx or Nosler Partitons. Good luck

Your 2-7 power is fine for out west. I very seldom go above 6 power hunting elk or deer. Unless you can get your groups to 1" at 100 I wouldn't worry about shooting animals past 400 yards. Resale value on scopes suck. I would buy your buddy's gun, because that's a great deal. Having said that, in my opinion the Ruger is not that great for out of the box accuracy. There are alot of things you can do to get better accuracy though. Cleaning #1, trying different bullets and loads, especially if you can reload your own, checking bolt seating, stock bedding etc.

Your 30-06 is hard to beat, especially if you reload. There are some good box ammo to that's loaded hotter than other. Having a new gun is neat to, heck I just got two new rifles for christmas that I'm still hiding from the wife. Good luck.

The information and choices could be overpowering but there are lots of choices. While the 30-06 is a "good" choice it will not shoot as flat as some of the other calibers, expecially with a heavier bullet. That's ok if your shooting under 300 yards anyway. I used to shoot an '06 but switched to the 7MM. I like heavier bullets for big deer and occasionally when I hunt elk at distances up to 400 yards. While I also hunt with my scope on 6X most of the time I did change to a bigger objective (50MM) on a newer Leupold a few years ago just becuase it gathers light better and I'm getting older so that helps once in awhile. I think the 7MM for $500 (new) is a pretty good deal and of course if you can spend $1,500 then your in with a new scope as well. If I was limited on spending less than that I personally would keep the best overall option on the gun and get the best scope because 95% of my shooting has been under 400 yards anyway. There has been no mention of range finders or distance here either but for me knowing the distance is the most important part of this. Plus or minus 50 yards in open country is pretty easy to be off on so don't overlook that aspect.

Best of luck

Jazz

LAST EDITED ON Jan-13-10 AT 01:05AM (MST)[p]weatherby vanguard $399.00 in .300wsm that leaves pleanty for a good scope,ammo and harris bi-pod...
cheap good shooter! or even a sub moa ......
http://www.weatherby.com/product/rifles/vanguard
4a2c3c3419e430ad.jpg

rackmaster

I just bought a remington stainless dm in 280 and a zeiss 4x14x44 for 1200.00

Cant complain about that, the gun combo i have always wanted.

I have never seen tremendous accuracy out of a ruger. Don't get me wrong, they make an affordable rifle that has a nice fit and finish with good balance and reliability, but it would not be my rifle of choice if you plan to shoot beyond 300 yds.A model 700 7mm mag will drive tacks and would be my gun of choice for all big game, but if you are recoil sensative go with a model 700 in a 270. There is a reason most custom rifles are built on model 700 actions or modeled after them.Top it with a 3X9 leupold and never look back. I took a model 700 out of the box and with a little range work and reloads I had it shooting 5/8 inch groups. The model 700 is that good.

Remington it is, with a vari XIII. Im going to check out there web site right now.

Thanks guys

I have an older Ruger stainless in 7mm Rem Mag, but if I had to replace it I'd go Remington 700 and top it off with a quality Leupold.

For caliber on western big game I'd go 7mm Rem Mag or 300 WSM. Ammo is actually the same price now for the .300 WSM as it is for the .300 Win Mag, but the rifles I've shot in the WSM have much less recoil than in the Win Mag.

A big thing for reducing recoil are the new recoil pad products available...they really work well.

Not to confuse you, but I have had three Ruger M77s that shot -1" moa out of the box.
I am now shooting a stainless Browning A-Bolt in a 300WSM, which is a joy to carry in the mountains because it is so light. I only have about $1200 into it.

Ranger,.....in response to your somewhat large groups with your 30-06,......have you cleaned the bore of all copper fouling lately.....I don't mean by running a few patches of Hoppe's copper cleaner through it, I'm talking about cleaning it down to the metal, with a strong copper solvent such as Sweets or one of the others. If your bore is copper fouled, your rifle will never shoot at it's best and will only get worse with each shot. I had to learn this the hard way....but I learned it. This little problem has caused the sale or trade of many a good rifle that someone thought had just gone bad and wouldn't shoot a tight group anymore. Oh,.....I would also suggest that you try some 150 gr. bullets in your rifle...no real need to shoot the 165s for anything less than moose. I would ask you this....we all try really hard to kill a trophy critter of whatever kind we hunt, we hunt hard, get out of bed in the wee hours and drive long distances,....do all this stuff just to MAYBE gat a chance to shoot what we're after....so why in the round world would you skimp on your ammunition just to save $10 dollars? Buy some high quality ammo and try it in your rifle and see what happens.....after you've cleaned the bore of all copper.....just my thoughts. Good luck!

Great point firemedic, My -06 and .243 probably have a total of 60 rounds through them each (Win. silver box). I always clean my rifles with Remington bright bore cleaner and Remington oil and patches, but NEVER have i run the copper brush through them. I have the wire brushes in my cleaning kit but never used them. I will do that, thanks for that tip. Do i need to buy copper cleaner or is that britebore the same stuff? I am also going to start shooting better ammo. As soon as spring gets here it will be off to the range. I also forgot to mention im not shooting off a rifle rest, just bunched up jackets on a picknic table, i thinks its time to buy a good rifle rest. Maybe this is why my Mini-14 shoots so crappy (cheap junk ammo and never wire brushing). At the risk of sounding stupid, i grew up thinking that wire brushing your bore ruins the rifling.

Thanks,

Mike

It sounds like a problem with the shooter not the rifle.Get your self a better rest than what you are using and have someone else that is a decent shot shoot the rifle first before you draw any conclusions..Sounds to me like a flinch and or crappy rest is the problem.

As far as cleaning 60 rounds of copper fouling is not enough to be the culprit..I hardly ever brush my bores..Just a tight patch with the proper jag and a good 1 piece rod ..Clean from the breech (a bore guide is a good idea) and push the solvent out the muzzle..Find yourself some Wipeout bore cleaner and use it the stuff is awesome..

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Ranger....I did not mean to use a copper brush....don't know that they make one,...use a brass brush with a patch over it....works great if you put some copper solvent on it and use some elbow grease. I'm not familiar with the copper solvent that you mentioned....I use Sweet's but there are several others that are fine. If it runs your wife out of the house when you open it....it should be good stuff. I disagree that 60 rounds isn't enough to foul your bore....that's more than enough to foul a bore. But I do agree that you need a shooting rest or vice of some sort....that would help you out greatly.

Ya, my mistake, i meant brass (the ones that come in the cleaning kit). I need a good rest cause i know im not flinching.

Thanks

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom