New rifle break in?

BGbasbhat

Very Active Member
After 6 searches and 10 pages, I can't find much of anything on new rifle break in procedures.

I've heard a couple different schools of thought on break in; but i'm up for suggestions! Thanks!

"...I'd rather be tried by twelve than carried by six..."

Did you try looking at the various barrel makers websites? I believe Krieger, Hart, PacNor, Douglas all offer recommendations on how to break in their barrels.

I just shoot them and not worry about it. I bet over 99% of the animals in the book were taken with rifles not broken in properly.

It's just a brank spankin new Rem 700, so nothing custom...unfortunately.

Yeah yeah...I know 440. This is my first real deal new rifle, so I just want to make sure if there is a right way to do it, i'm doin it!

BG since it is not a custom rifle i would clean it after the first 10 shots every shot. Then clean after every other shot for the next 10. Then after every 5 for the next twenty and you should be good to go. It will help alleviate copper fouling and help finish the barrel better. Custom guns usually have match grade barrels and they are hand lapped and very well finished inside so they usually foul less. Use a good cleaner like shooters choice etc and you should be good to go. Enjoy your new gun!!

Thanks Boskee! By clean, do you use a bronze brush and then a couple patches, or just the patches?

LAST EDITED ON Mar-26-10 AT 02:54PM (MST)[p]I run a wet patch thru the barrel and let it sit a few minutes to soak then follow it with a bronze brush followed by patches until you get a clean patch. This will take you a while initially since new bores tend to foul a bit more until broken in. The fact you're cleaning after so few shots will help allevaite some debris. Make sure you buy a big large bag of patches. A good bore guide & a dewey coated or like cleaning rod is some money well spent and you can buy different tips for your other guns. hope this helps. Remember that not all bullets shoot well out of all guns so you may have to try a few different bullet brands at the same weight to find one that suits your gun and you from an accuracy standpoint. Good luck!

Thanks a bunch Boskee. I did exactly as you mentioned above on Saturday morning. Man, you're right, I need some more patches! All in all, it seemed to shoot pretty well, even though I wasn't really worrying about the sight in yet. That's this weekend!
Thanks again

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom