New rifle options

hangfire

Looking at picking up a new rifle was looking at the browning x-bolt long range hunter but have read good reviews on the savage and tikka. Looking at getting a 300 WSM. The sole purpose of the rifle will be for hunting, everything from deer to moose, anyone that has owned one of these rifle comments appreciated. Been a muzzy and bowhunter all my life so choosing the right rifle and caliber is somewhat foreign to me.

WSM calibers don't feed that well. That is my opinion after owning one and discussing the fact with one of the guys that helped develop the cartridge.
flyingbrass
cold dead hands
NRA Life Member

I LOVE MY TIKKA 3 LIGHT RIFLE.....IN THE .300 WSM FOR A LARGE RANGE OF BIG GAME ANIMALS. ACCURATE/ LIGHT......& EASY TO CARRY ALL WEEK.

FEEDING SHELLS HAS NEVER ONCE BEEN A PROBLEM IN MY TIKKA ????????????? DONT KNOW WHAT THATS ABOUT ??? THE PRICE IS NICE AS WELL......WIDE VARIETY OF COMPOSITE STOCKS TO CHOOSE FROM TOO. YOU CAN NOT GO WRONG WITH A TIKKA.................YD.

If you like the X-Bolt then my choice would be the long range/carbon fiber version in 300 win mag. If you are interested in a smaller investment then you might take a look at the Savage long range fluted or Savage bear hunter in 300 win mag. If money is no object then look at the Sako 85.

There is no right or wrong its just what looks and feels good to you. Welcome to the gun hunting world and beware of the addiction to rifles. Good luck in your quest.

Own numerous rifles and numerous calibers. However, a few years back picked up a 300 WSM in a Winchester extreme weather stainless steel rifle. Very nice rifle (light and great rifle for bad weather).

It has become one of my favorites. Hunting buddy also has one in a kimber that is extremely nice and light.

Don't think you will be unhappy with a 300 WSM. Just look at all the brands and pick the one that fills goodin your hands and fits your budget.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-07-13 AT 12:37PM (MST)[p]I handled a few and ended up with a Win mod 70 300 WSM approx. 8 years ago, might be 10... Sent it out to hill country rifle for a tune up about 6 year ago. Had them put on and bed a carbon McMillian stock, removable muzzle break with replaceable cap, cerakote finish, and a few other personal tweaks.

It's one sweet rifle with no feed issues, sub moa capable and I've shot a lot of diff factory ammo with it.

It's my go-to rifle.

I have a Savage mod 11 LRH with brake, adjustable cheek piece and composit stock. It is my all year round 'yote shooter. I love it.

I must admit that my accu trigger sometimes "pulls thru", which sucks and I am sure Savage would fix it, but I ain't willing to send it back, so I am going to have something else installed in it locally. I have 5 accu trigger rifles and this is the only one I have ever had issues with.

I am playing with 110 gr bullets and getting 3500 fps out of them.

I have learned to actually like the recoil knowing that similar force is expended at 800 yds.

I could care less if I ever shoot another hoofed animal, but when my wolf opportunity arrises, I am going to be ready.

"I could agree with you, but then we would both be
wrong......and stupid"

Well my experiences are with a sako 75, a tikka t3 lite, an A-Bolt, a Savage 110, and had a weatherby vanguard. Son's have a remington 700 and a ruger m77. I reload for all these guns, plus exclusively for friends with another remington,ruger and Savage 116, as well as a Win 70 and Weatherby Mark V.

I have loaded and shot at least 100 rounds out of each of these guns/actions.

By far I like actions of the Sako and Tikka(same manufacturer) the best because, they shoot well but they also have the smoothest actions and seem very well built.

While the others all shoot well, it seems the Savage has the best reputation given it's cost, so would be the value play.

Clearly if you plan to customize with new barrel's, magazines, etc., the remington is the go to choice by a long way with Savage second.

My browning is my go to rifle if I feel I need to shoot farther, as it shoots my 168 berger bullets very well and very consistently, sub moa to ~800 yards on milk jugs.

The Tikka T3 lite is the light weight choice, if you back pack hunt and are looking for that.

My one plug for Winchester is that they typically come in 26" barrels for any mag, but check what's offered today. Most 300WSM's are 22-24" in the off the shelf choices, avoid a 22" for sure.

My choices in order:

Tikka Lite/Sako A7/Sako 85 ~$650/$850/$1200
Savage SS, ~$650 **avoid Long Range Hunter(heavy,short barrel)
Weatherby Vanguard sub MOA ~$700

Remington, then give to gunsmith to add new barrel(26"), trigger, stock(bedded to action), and true action. ~1800

Add a Vortex Viper HS 4-14x w/ BDC Reticle, and Talley Lightweight rings. ~$550

Pretty much any rifle you choose will probably shoot well enough to hunt with. Figure out your needs, get your hands on some rifles, buy the one you like and feed it some ammo. The rifle will tell you what it likes. Pick a scope the same way, by looking at what you need. mtmuley

I've been looking at the .408 ChevyTac. Might be a little heavy though.

;-) Mickey Mouse Outfitters provides an experience you will never forget, because we always do it Micky Mouse style. We always guarantee shots. It might be at the ground or in the air, but it's a guarantee we are committed to.

>If the Chevytac is too heavy,
>take a look at the
>Chey-Tac. mtmuley

Soory, mispilled it.

;-) Mickey Mouse Outfitters provides an experience you will never forget, because we always do it Micky Mouse style. We always guarantee shots. It might be at the ground or in the air, but it's a guarantee we are committed to.

>WSM calibers don't feed that well.
>That is my opinion after
>owning one and discussing the
>fact with one of the
>guys that helped develop the
>cartridge.
>flyingbrass
>cold dead hands
>NRA Life Member

I really like my 300 WSM. The WSM are natorious for not feeding perfect; however, out of the few I've owned the Browning X-bolt is the only one where I've had zero issues with feeding. The detachable magazine I'm sure is a big help.

I own a Browning A-Bolt in a 300WSM and it may be my most favorite hunting tool. I am especially fond of how light and portable it is. It is a pleasure to carry and it has never let me down. I have never had a feeding problem, (especially since I have never needed to shoot more than a few times at an animal).
I also picked up a new Browning X-Bolt in a 270WSM. I like the feel of it even more than my A-Bolt. It has only taken down 3 animals, but two of the three are now in the record book. Pretty hard for me to complain about how it performs!

I have a tikka in 30-06. I know its not 300wsm but its still a Great accurate rifle out of the box! And nice smooth bolt!

Goat

Thanks for the replies. Went to Cabela's and sportsmans today and handled a few rifles narrowed it down to the sako x-bolt and tika. Leaning towards the x-bolt but know one had the long range hunter sportsmans is getting me a price and availability. For the browning owners anyone have the boss and if so does it seem to help? Thanks again.

I've never heard about 300 wsm notorious for not feeding correctly who ever posted that. Mine and everyone I know who shoot 300 wsm feed fine.

Hang fire, I think you will be happy with a 300 wsm and not regret it. I know I haven't. I just wish I purchased my 300 wsm before my 30-06..definitely only rifle I need

Goat

Tikka... I bought one 3 years ago, and love shooting it and hunting with it. even my wife is starting to love it...

LAST EDITED ON Apr-08-13 AT 12:21PM (MST)[p]I have 3 rifles chambered in 300 WSM.

Browning x bold
Winchester Model 70 Super Grade
Tikka T3

If I were to pick an overall BEST performing gun it would be the Tikka.

It is the most accurate in the 5 different loads I have tried.
It is the smoothest, and just seems to function well.

Next would be the Model 70, it is a close 2nd in accuracy, and is COOL LOOKING.

I do love the Browning, but it is my least favorite. It kicks like a mule, and I have had ejector problems.

So, all good.

1: Tikka
2: Very close Model 70
3: Xbolt

I have 4 A-Bolts and 1 X-Bolt. I love them all. Never any feeding problems and all shoot better than I do. None of them are in .300 WSM, but I don't think quality is caliber specific. the only reason I didn't get a .300 WSM when I bought the X-Bolt was the fact that Hornady doesn't have a factory load for it and I can't get away from shooting their factory ammo. Very accurate and very deadly. I have yet to handle a smoother action than the X-Bolt.

Whatever you choose, let us know and what the deciding factor was for you. Always good to get the latest input.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-10-13 AT 04:37PM (MST)[p]I'm a little late on the replies....

I have a Tikka T3 in 270 WSM that feeds flawlessly. It's an excellent rifle.

I have an X bolt in .25-06 that shoots like a dream. My step dad bought the Stainless Stalker in 338 WM and it was actually very easy to handle. It shot great as well. That was my first time shooting a .338 and honestly didn't feel like it was much more than a 30-06.

The X bolt is a bit more expensive, but man, they have a great fit and finish to them. Very accurate and easy to carry all day. I'd go with the stainless stalker- the wood on my rifle is almost too pretty to go in the field. Pick any caliber you feel you can shoot well and have fun.

Got a .300WSM in 2002 in a model 70 classic featherweight and it my favorite rifle for critters. One shot kills on bull elk and
bucks of both species. Potent but relatively gentle on the shoulder would be my call.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom