New Scope

Blueoak

Very Active Member
I finally bought a new scope. I relpaced my old 2.5x8 Leupold with a 3.5x10 Leupold. I had Premier Reticles put a range compensation reticle in it. It shoots great! I have only shot out 500yds so far, but I am ery happy with it. I will still try to get as close of a shot as I can, but if I have to I can push it. Plus it a nice scope for regular hunting.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-20-04 AT 05:12AM (MST)[p]Premeir Reticles do amazing things to scopes!!

Which reticle did you get?? Did PR move your reticle to the first focal plane??

Glad you are happy with your new purchase.

I got the Boone and Crocket reticle. I do not now were they put it. After reading that artical you posted on parallax, I gave up try to understand it. I will just shoot it. Thanks

Blueoak, most American/Japanese scopes are made with the reticle in the second focal plane. Leupold, Nikon, Bushnell, etc.

This from the US Optics website, and explains reticle placement better than I ever could.

http://www.usoptics.com/usReticles.htm
(Thought you may find this interesting.)

When you have a ranging reticle in the first focal plane (or front), mil dot, MOA, etc., the point of impact stays the same at all power levels. A definite advantage when ranging. Especially in a tactical situation. Not so critical in a hunting enviorment.

The parallax thread is a little confusing.

Excellent choice. If you can, check out the article on scopes in the July issue of Rifle magazine. mtmuley

I just purcased the 3.5-10x50 Leupold VX III with the Boone And Crockett rectile. The clarity is awesome! I don't quite understand the full features of the scope. It says to establish the hold points with the triangles based on your gun and bullet weight. I mounted the scope on my Ruger Model 1 .338 Win Mag and shoot Remington 225 grain Swift A-frame bullets. With that I would be shooting the small triangle and a 200 yard zero. I have read the darn instruction manual about fifty times and it is not making perfect sense to me! The hold points and everything else is confusing! Brief me in if you can make better sense than the Leupold booklet does! Thanks, ILH.

Try calling the maker of scope and talk with a Tech Rep and see if he can explain it to you. Just a thought, no harm in trying the phone call.

Brian

Iowalonghorn, is the bullet from the .338 hitting
"below" where you think it should??

I assume that the B&C reticle was developed for "standard" calibers,ie 30/06, .308, .270, etc.

Your .338 ballistics may not jive with this reticle, without some modificatons.

Iowa,
I have the leupold B&C reticle on my 7 Mag. Rangercon is right in that the reticle was developed for standard calibers. There is a chart in the owners manual with various calibers and bullet weights. These are guidelines to show you how to use the BC reticle with your specific load. For example, I shoot 165 gr noslar partitions out of my 7 mag. I am sighted in at 200. The tick marks below the center reticle are spaced to allow for 100 yard increments with my load. The length of the tick marks are calibrated for a 10 mph wind. Say I'm shooting at something 400 yards away with a 5 mph wind blowing from my left. The theory behind the BC reticle is that I should use the second tick mark below center and split the length of the right side of the tick.
-Raptor

A couple of guys at my range have a Pentax scopes on hunting rifles. They have fond things to say about them. Good glass, bright, etc. So they say.
Lightseeker, or something like that?

I don't remember ever looking through one. Maybe I have and don't recall.

The Pentax binos are supposed to be a great buy.

I've heard GREAT things about the Burris Fulfield Scopes. Supposed to be as good as the swaros/leupolds/nikons...etc

Michael~All Gods creatures welcome... right next to the mashed potatoes and gravy.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom