New to northern CO. Elk help

tallpine13

Well for starters I just moved to northern CO from NM and I'm heart broken to loose my residency there for elk hunting purposes. Ive already been looking into archery clubs and stuff to try and meet my fellow outdoorsmen but I've been looking online at all the draw odds OTC units trying to put a game plan together for elk and deer. I have deer locked down just have to wait a couple years to draw he unit that interests me the most but I'm a huge archery guy rifle doesn't really excite me unless I'm taking a big ol cow for the freezer which I might be doing this year, but for elk I'm at a total loss I'm looking at unit 20 but everything I research tells me access is horrible and all in all is a pain. Which I've hiked around miles of private to get to my spot back in the woods of NM. I've killed a lot of good Bulls in NM with my bow and am willing to trade NM info and possibly take someone down there if they are lucky enough to draw. Unit 20 just seems convienent since it's close I'm in the Loveland/FOCO area but I'm sure everyone else thinks the same. I have been up around red feathers area and it looks like good country but with all those roads I can only imagine it gets pounded. I'm just looking for a little help as in hey 20 isn't as bad as people say or just a don't waste your time there take up geese hunting.

I loved up there a couple years and never actually got out and hunted up there but me and the wife did quite a bit of hiking and back packing. I drew 2 NM tags while I was living there (for elk) so I never had the urge to go and shoot a dink since I already had meat in the freezer. I've seen some good bulls in 20 but most of them were on private. It is tough to navigate. Another thing I've learned is no offense to CO but you've got to do all the research yourself I had a tough time finding anybody to help me out when I first started up there. If your looking for a place that's easy for you to call in sick on a Friday and spend the weekend hunting. I say go for 20 it is hard to access areas without permission. I wish I was still up there i have enough points to draw and wouldn't mind tagging along. But I'm probably going to try a southern CO OTC archery tag this year. Maybe look into the OTC units around steamboat I didn't spend any time over there but I have a friend that guides on the ranching for wildlife ranches up in those areas and says they shoot the heck out of them. That's on a private ranch though. Keep me posted If I don't draw a NM tag this year I might could run up and tag along in 20 if you have a point or 2 and can draw.

Thanks. Sent you a PM maybe we can exchange info. Depending on the NM draw will also depend if I go OTC due to vacation hours. Hopefully the me and the wife draw a 16 tag this year.

20's a low density unit with plenty of private property. A good bull can be had with a bit of boot leather. Plenty of goose season left after archery season!

Thanks I appreciate it. I'm going to go ahead and go for 20 so if I do draw NM and CO I can hunt the weekends and be able to takeoff from the house.

19 can be good since you like to get back in there. 7 and 8 you might be able to hunt on your second choice while waiting for your prefered tag. Red Feather to the North is difficult to learn , but once you do it can be worth it.

I live in Loveland and have hiked a lot of hills in the area. I'll send you a PM and maybe we can figure out a strategy!

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom