New to Utah, First Time Elk Hunting - Spike Tag Advice?

J

JM

Hi, I have been small game hunting for several years and recently moved to UT just south of SLC. I bought a spike tag in hopes of taking my first elk and was wondering if anyone can give me some advice on finding elk.

I am 26 and in good shape so hiking into the backcountry isnt a problem. I am also willing to travel all over the state.

I have been hiking all over the boulder plateau fishing and have seen alot of elk sign and cow elk up around 10,000 ft. Will these elk still be there during the October spike season? or do they migrate to lower elevation that early? What kind of country do they prefer?

I greatly appreciate any advice anyone is willing to give me.

10,000 ft in october good be beautiful, or under 3 feet of snow so weather plays a role. Second, follow the cows, spikes are not allowed in the bachelor groups, so they are generally with the herds, regardless of whether there are other bulls. There actually are quite a few spikes in the spike units. Try finding areas away from the roads. A lot of guys in Utah are roadhunters(nothing wrong with that, its your hunt do what you want), but elk don't like pressure. I have found elk try to stay on the edge of the snow both in the fall and spring, they try to stay as high as possible, usually. My best advice though is pick an area where there are elk, and hunt it year after year, not move every year. You will learn things about the herds when they are pressured that you wouldn't during scouting.

Thanks for the advice. I have a topo map of several spike units and am going to look for areas away from roads.

Do you have any tips for locating the herds? Should I concentrate on South face slopes? Certain types of cover or forage?

I am going to spend the upcoming weekend hiking and glassing and see if I can locate anything.

Opening morning follow the orange blurr heading into the mountains. once you get there go the opposite direction and you will be set!

Monte has a good spike unit but yo will rub elbows with a few people..

good luck.

It was a big bodied 2 point.

Right now I would look for the deep dark timber, it is cooler, find out where the sheep herds are, nothing like sheep. I hunted spikes on the Manti and we did good on the tops or just off of them(cove mtn., georges fork, buck ridge, and into Ferron). No big secret here. I also killed one on one of the turkey farms off the highway a few years back, but he has since sold to his son in law and those days are over.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom