New world Record typical shot in WI

bogey

Ok, I will start the rumors. This rumor has been floating around home for a while know, I just heard better info so I will post the rumor. A 12 year old from The Highland WI area has shot a whitetail that is supposed to break the world record. I had heared that he shot it in Grant or Iowa county. I had heard this from a bunch of people and a couple that had supposedly held it. Today I stopped to talk to my taxidermist and he told me he saw pictures of it at an offical B&C scorer. The scorer told him that it does pass the current typical world record. Now for the problem, the kid shot it in the horn and snapped it. My taxi said you can see real easy in the pictures were it was shot. He said that the offical scores said that because it was such a clean break that it may be allowed. Thats all I know, time will tell.

If it is true and an OM from B&C has seen it, I'm surprised it isn't mentioned in Trophy Watch. B&C is allowing broken antler points to be included in scores if they are obvious and verifiable.

We'll see.

JB

D13er,
With the new ruling of B&C allowing for broken points, do you think they will revist the Bannister Buck and put him in the #2 spot and drop the Dewdney Buck to #3?

That's ridiculous. How do they verify the length of a broken point?
Record books and scoring systems in general are a joke and nothing but a tug job for those with more ego than brains. How long before some loser decides to break off a point or two when his buck/bull is 2" smaller than the minimum and try to claim it's a record book animal?

They are refering to points that are recovered in the field. In other words, a point that has broke and can easily be reattached. They make decisions on these on a case by case basis from what I understand.

This is new news to me. I hunt about 10 miles from Highland and grew up in that area and I have heard nothing of a record animal shot in that area. Granted with all of the CWD seasons going on there have been some huge bucks taken in the past few years but none that I've seen or heard of come close to world record material. That being said anything is posible for that area. There is a lot of deer, a lot of feed, and very good genetics so a book buck that got to the right age could get very large. But that is a "Deer hunting community" and word of a huge buck would travel like wildfire. If you did shoot a deer like that and kept it quiet then you should be hired by the CIA as an intelligence officer. Especially if you're a school aged kid who would naturally go school on Monday and brag about the huge deer he killed last weekend. I'd love to see it but it sounds a little far fetched. Just the pesimist inside me coming out..

sagehnter

Brad, when you see my father in law at the grocery store this week tell him to get his old ass back to work!

>That's ridiculous. How do they verify
>the length of a broken
>point?

I think that it has to fit back perfectly, like a puzzle piece.

>How long before
>some loser decides to break
>off a point or two
>when his buck/bull is 2"
>smaller than the minimum and
>try to claim it's a
>record book animal?

Already been done. Its disgusting!

Drum

Will do Ian. I know how this sounds, we started hearing it over a month ago and I didn't post or tell anybody because I know how these things work. Chris (Taxidermist) saw the pictures when he had his buck offically scored in Baraboo. So it gives me a LITTLE more faith in what is being talked about. Again we will see, I am also a bit sceptiacal.

I would bet big money B&C would not allow the broken antler to be scored after it's been reattached. That would open a big can of worms. I don't believe they've ever allowed it, same with pulling a buck out and the whole antler comes off, they won't allow it.
I also have not heard any rumors of this deer. Stuff like this usually spreads pretty fast.

Lien2

You would probably loose that money, as I'm pretty sure, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong, that they have allowed points to be reattached. I believe I read this in a issue of Fair Chase. If it's a clean break and any fool could see that the simple application of a little glue would have the point in pretty near the exact same position, their argument is to let the measurement stand. It's another matter entirely to pull an antler off, as the inside spread measurement could never be determined with that degree of accuracy.

HiMtnHntr,

As I understand it you have it exactly right. B&C must see it before any repairs are made.

JB

D13er, also doesn't any potential record animal have to go before a panel of scorers before it is accepted?

Steve

Steve,

The top 10 from each catagory and awards period must be verified by panel scoring and I have no doubt that the break (not repair) would be re-evaluated there also.

JB

LAST EDITED ON Feb-08-07 AT 09:34AM (MST)[p]Well I just got pictures emailed to me. It is a pig! As to what it scores I have no idea, not good pictures, 12 pts, huge brow tines, wide, and HUGE mass. I will gladly email them to someone to post, since I will not figure out how to do it.

well that didn't work? Let's try this again!

BigBuck002.jpg

BigBuck003.jpg

BigBuck001-1.jpg

Success!

WOW! From the first pic it didn't look like it had the tine length to have a chance, but from the side, it is a totally different story.

What do the experts say that he will score?

I am still highly skeptical. And see a lot of possible deductions, way to hard to tell from the pictures. I really have not heard any more then what I already posted on the rumor. In reality I am assuming that it is the same deer. Shot in the same location, according to the past around email and has the same break that they Taxidermist saw in the pictures at the offical scorer's. I really don't know shi* about it just passing some info along.

Is that entire side shot off at the base ?? If it is I don't think there is a chance in hell that B&C will accept it.

JB

Yeah... sorry for sounding negative, but that's the kind of damage an antler suffers from a vehicle collision, not a bullet.
Nice deer none-the-less.

Bogey just sent me the pics and if we play guess the score I come up with 214 gross. That is real close to the world record. I think there are some questions as to how to score the G-3's. They look like they may come off the G-2 and be abnormal points. Also, with the main beam broke, I don't see how B&C will allow it. As for the hunter, I don't think I blame him for shooting him in the horn---that's all I would be able to look at also.

Wow, no doubt a 200" plus buck....if you can score the G2s and G3s as typical points. Irregardless, what a pisscutter!

I just talked to a guy from that area and the buck was shot over the hill from where he hunts. The hunter that shot it is from Madison and they had it green scored at 218". Again thats all I can tell you and my guess is still a lot of deductions.

I remember a alberta bowkill a few years ago that looked like that and they scored it as nontypical because they said the g2 split. I wouldnt be suprised if this happens to this buck. The deer looks like a 185-190 buck to me, which is a pig, congrats to the hunter!
Jeff

That kid has got to be excited, and feeling extremely depressed at the same time! A possible new world record deer, and you shoot the antler off!!!

Michael
"What I could do, I was doing, and that was simply putting my butt on the line for my country, the country that I loved, so that all the protestors and the academics and the liberal intelligentsia back home could enjoy the right to protest against people like me, the hated middleclass." --Gary R. Smith, US Special Forces

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom