New Zealand questions

elkhuntin247

My son and I have a red stag hunt booked this coming spring with Duncan Fraser/ Cardrona Safaries. My son is a senior in highschool this year and 4 years ago he told me this was his dream hunt. I quickly said you work and save half of your hunt and I will pay the other half and go with you. We booked the hunt in 2019 before everything got crazy in our world and we were scheduled to go in 2022 but NZ was still shut down due to covid. A few questions I have from anybody who has hunted New Zealand. Would you bring your own gun or use the outfitters? I have always used my guns but this time I'm considering using the outfitters if available to avoid extra bags and firearm paperwork. What was approximate cost to get trophy's shipped back to the US? We will be doing stag only and we have the bottom package of 360" to 400". I don't do a lot of travel and wondered how long to wait to book flights. When I contacted a travel agent, I felt that they just took the first option on the screen and it was expensive. I'm thinking about booking the travel for myself and wondering how long to wait. Flights today on expedia were $1,700 ea. Any advice would be appreciated. We are getting very excited to do this trip of a lifetime.

Only advise I have is that if at all possible, take at least a week or two extra to go see the country after the hunt. I hunted NZ a long time ago, but did it all DIY, so not much help on that side.

I have never been to NZ, but those red stags are beautiful animals and will make great mounts. Something one my bucket list. All I can do is wish you luck and congratulate you on raising your son right. Not many kids nowadays willing to work for what they want.

I would use the outfitters rifle. They’re high fence so to be honest they aren’t the smartest thing in the world. They know they’re being hunted so they still take some stalking, but if you can’t get to a comfortable range on one you just look for another one. I would also say spend as much time seeing the country as possible. My take home from my trip to NZ was I wouldn’t go again to hunt as that was a bit of a let down; but the sight seeing was worth it and I wish I had spent more time on that end of it for sure. I’d go back for more duck hunting and I’d do a fly in tahr hunt again but the actual outfitted lodge part of the hunt isn’t what everyone makes it out to be. Enjoy the time with your son in a damn cool place!! $1700 seems about right for flights. No need to use a travel agent just find your flights on Travelocity or something like that be be sure to book it through the airline app or website as it’s WAY easier to make changes and troubleshoot problems through them then through a third party.

I would use the outfitters rifle. They’re high fence so to be honest they aren’t the smartest thing in the world. They know they’re being hunted so they still take some stalking, but if you can’t get to a comfortable range on one you just look for another one. I would also say spend as much time seeing the country as possible. My take home from my trip to NZ was I wouldn’t go again to hunt as that was a bit of a let down; but the sight seeing was worth it and I wish I had spent more time on that end of it for sure. I’d go back for more duck hunting and I’d do a fly in tahr hunt again but the actual outfitted lodge part of the hunt isn’t what everyone makes it out to be. Enjoy the time with your son in a damn cool place!! $1700 seems about right for flights. No need to use a travel agent just find your flights on Travelocity or something like that be be sure to book it through the airline app or website as it’s WAY easier to make changes and troubleshoot problems through them then through a third party.
All great advice. Only thing I would add is to take the travel insurance when you book everything.
Good luck and post some pics when you get back.

If they've got a decent rifle to use, then use the camp rifle for sure. Went a few years ago and even though the paperwork/hassle for the rifles wasn't too bad, it would have been so much less stressful not having to worry about it. Especially if you plan to spend some time there after the hunt. Which I highly recommend. The shipping wasn't bad, seems pretty fair and transparent compared to getting trophies shipped from Africa (get the lube out). If you don't mind a little paperwork, you can clear them yourself once they arrive. As for the flights, if you can afford them, pay for the nicer seats. This was years ago but I paid for comfort class on Air New Zealand and I remember being pretty comfortable.

When are you going? We just booked our flights for end of May into mid June. Flights weren't to hard to book. Haven't started the gun paper work yet... I heard you should wear your hiking boots over. I heard if they are separate its harder to get your boots through than your gun.

I've only done foreign hunting travel to Canada, but following the regs to take your own rifle/ammo can be difficult, especially if you have to lay over and check it multiple times. That said, a big part of a hunt for me is using my own rifle/load, etc. If you do use a camp rifle I'd make sure it's a good one in a caliber you both want to shoot.
I would also make sure whoever you book your hunt and flight with will allow you to get your money back if something goes south. During Covid, there were lots of horror stories about people losing their outfitter deposits and the cost of their flights.

My best hunts have always been with my son! Good luck and have a blast!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom