New

albubba

LAST EDITED ON Aug-20-07 AT 09:41AM (MST)[p]My son wants to try hunting with a muzzleloader.
I have never owned one and don't know much about them.
What would be a good starter for him? Cal., make, price.
I think he wants an in-line.
He is 18.

First we need to know what state or states he hopes to hunt. The regulations for each state differ and some muzzleloaders are illegal in some states for hunting. Then we need to know what he wants to hunt (deer most likely). As far as inlines there are a wide variety of them but at this time my favorite new one available is the Knight Rolling Block which I do not have but would add to my collection if I didn't already have four inlines, two sidelocks, one flintlock, and two pistols. The new Knight RB will shoot both sabot loads (usually pistol bullets of less than bore diameter in a plastic bore diameter cup that the bullet fits in) and conicals (solid lead bullets that are bore diameter). It appears to be well thought out for design and function and several are reporting excellent accuracy and ease of cleaning. As far as caliber the first and really only choice that make any sense is .50cal. as the selection of bullets for it make it the way to go. It will do anything that the .45cal rifles will and some of them are very picky as to what they will shoot accurately. Many will recommend the T/C Omega which I have one. Personally after several years of owning it it is not my favorite rifle. It shot great at the start then the accuracy became erratic. I think it is due to plastic stock variation from shot to shot and from stock removal and reinstalation. The Omega plastic stock is a fairly weak link in an otherwise great rifle. The Knight RB would not suffer from that condition.

I think the only restriction in Utah is that you cannot use telescopic sights so a scope is out unless it is a one power.
As far as the costs both the Omega and the Knight Rolling Block are around $300 or a little less depending on where you shop. The Omega comes in an economy version Z5 which has cheap sights and a fairly cheap blue job and the plastic stock. There is a laminated stock Omega but it costs more. I would get the Knight as it will shoot the heavy conicals that would be best for the Elk hunting. I am switching from sabot loads to conicals as I have had elk walk too far after double lung shots with 300gr. sabot bullets. I am working loads up for the 465gr. No Excuses bullets. I would consider a peep sight or one power scope as I have problems with standard iron sights at much over 50 yards.

The Remington 700 is a great starter gun too, 50 cal, much more accurate. Remember not to go to cheap cause a lot of times you get what you pay for. I hunt both deer and elk with 50 cal and just ramp up the grain size for elk. Practice practice practice. Lots of fun though.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-23-07 AT 08:13PM (MST)[p]IF I were in the market for myself or my son, this is what I would be buying:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...chall&Nty=1&Ntt=knight+muzzleloader&noImage=0

I am pretty sure that you could beat this price on other retailers.

Just bought a green mountain barrel for my T/C renegade because my Omega won't shoot conicals. Even though this is a sidelock, this barrel is shooting rings around my Omega, and the KRB has pretty much the identical barrel. I hear it shoots sabots well too.

Good luck, all sons should be so lucky.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

lyman 54 cal is great one of the best to me its a 1-32 in twist so you can shoot round balls and maxis i'd go with that thats my choice

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom