nigh time in the back country

schoolhousegrizz

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Jan-18-15 AT 10:01PM (MST)[p]So the last couple years i have gone on a couple solo overnighters scouting for deer. It gets dark way before I am tired. I'm not going to lie I get feeling lonely and bored. I have read books to pass the time. I have wanted to start a fire but worry it will scare off the game. Have you guys experienced this same thing. Have you found things that help pass the time. Would appreciate Any Advice. I really want to get into overnight backpack hunting. I have done it a little but not much.

What a great question. I've had the same problem. I generally go to bed as soon as it's dark, cuz I get bored and lonesome. If I was in a cabin, I'd read, carve a stick, study my maps, clean my weapon, snooze by the fire, bake a batch of raison cinnamon rolls, build a stew for tomorrow, write a letter, read a history biography, etc. etc. But when I'm out under the stars or in a tent, I'm in bed at dark, to ward off the blues!

I'm very interesting in the other's comments on this one.

DC

God invented wine for this problem. They sell these little boxes that fit nicely in your bivy pack for this exact situation. A good playlist on your MP3 player works nicely as well :)

Cheers,
Pete

Yeah, this is a good question. Something I've had to address as well on my own solo hunts. What I've started doing to pass the time at night that works really well is that I bring my portable iPad mini and watch a few movies I have downloaded.
I never thought I'd be taken portable movie devices on my backpack solo hunts, but they are so small now and so lightweight (usually only a few ounces) that they fit easily into my backpack/daypack with no problem. At night after the sun goes down and I have a couple of hours before going to bed, it has worked really good to slip into the tent and watch some of my favorite hunting videos or just some old favorites recently dowoaded from iTunes.
I recommend this to anybody going into the backcountry alone for a few days.
It's has worked really well for me. Keeps the "lonelys" from setting in at night!
Thanks for the Good question!
Kip
Keep other answers and suggestions coming!!

Thanks guys. Glad to hear I'm not the only one that has had these experiences. Wouldn't mind a buddy coming along, but hard to find guys willing to do it.

I've dealt with this for years now.

I take my iphone and read books, or scriptures, or play games.

I always run my phone on airplane mode to conserve the battery.

I will have a fire, depending on the circumstances. Nice to have when it's cold. I'll usually cook and eat my dinner, most of the time its a braut with a tortilla shell for a bun. Sometimes 2 of them. Have a nice long drink of water with some kind of flavoring. Last, I take 2 Tylenol PM's to help me get to sleep and sleep longer. They really help me to sleep more soundly. It's the only time I take sleep aids.

These are a few things to consider.

It's hard for sure. But solo hunting/scouting is very rewarding.

Tylenol PM's are perfect, especially for us old farts, my bladder can do 8 hours but I sleep light and pressure on my bladder keeps me from going back to sleep, if something wakes me up. A PM, Exedrin or Tylenol is the ticket. It gets me at least 6 hours.

Like smitty, the only time I ever us them is when I'm out on the mountain and it'd too chilly to be wandering around, peeing in the dark, two or three times a night!

eel, pees in a bottle, but I'm scared to turn loose in my bed! I've alway been a bit of a coward that way. ;-)

First thing I would do is Build a Fire. Keeps some of the critters that like to eat you away. Think about things like Bigfoot, Mountain lions, Bears, Rattle Snakes looking for a warm place to cuddle, Remissness about stories like the night of the Grizzly, Hell I was there. You might google attacks on youtube and watch some video.

Rutnbuck

+1 on the Tylenol PM, only when camping. I have a hard time sleeping in the back country as every noise at night I'm sure is a bear. Most of the guys I've taken with me over the years never go back for this reason. They just can't take the nights and the lack of sleep really takes the fun out of it quickly.

This has got to be the gayest thread I've seen on here in a long time! No offense homo's!! J/k, well kinda lol

I have very little experience with these trips, only done one by myself. However, with the hustle and bustle of our daily lives and constantly being plugged in as a servant to email, phone, work, entertainment, etc... I truly believe that God gives us those moments of solidarity to listen and ponder about his Love. What a great opportunity to grow closer to our Lord. Even if you're not a believer, times of silence and reflection are always good!

Hunt Hard. Shoot Straight. Kill Clean. Apologize to No One.

For me, it isn't the night that is long and boring alone, it's mid day in the summer. Most bucks bed up by 9:00 am and aren't back up until 6:00 pm, so that 9 hours is a lot of down time. I get horribly bored during that time.

I'm a movie guy too. I either have a movie on my Iphone or Ipad. Usually rent one per day that I'm out. I also take a little whiskey to put me to sleep at night, but typically I'm up most of the night flipping and flopping.

Because I have trouble sleeping, I do my backpacking at night whenever I can. If I've been in on a trail in the past, then I often pack in in the dark. If I do that, and go 30 hours without sleep, I can often get some shut eye during mid day, and that next night.

Movies and podcasts are what I use to pass down time. I packed a book with me last year on a bunch of trips, but I'm not big on reading. I can't stick with it long.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com
Will you LIKE MonsterMuleys.com on Facebook! I need a friend....

I relish the peace and quiet of solo camping.

To me, getting away from the phones, TV, FAX, internet, texting, etc. is worth an occasional feeling of loneliness.

Glad I'm not the only one.
12-13 hr. nights are brutal!!!
If I do get to sleep pretty early, I'm often awake
at 2am. with nothing to do for 3 or 4 hrs. Drives me nuts!!

I download a ton of podcasts onto my phone and listen to then during the middle of the day or at night. There's a great podcast app I found called Pocket Casts.

http://www.shiftyjelly.com/pocketcasts

I also download a few books onto my phone and read them when I can.

I only use my phone for pod casts and books when I'm near my truck each night. When I am backpacking I bring a paper book due to the battery going dead so fast.

Procrasturbating.... Sorry I could not help it!

In all honesty. I prefer sleeping mid day and doing all my camp stuff at night including moving camp etc.

The fire thing is not really an issue, just do not burn trash etc. If they are smelling your fire well enough to spook they are probably smelling you!

I also enjoy having a journal and reading past journal entries and entering new ones!

LAST EDITED ON Jan-19-15 AT 09:58PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jan-19-15 AT 07:51?PM (MST)

Haha, that sure would get your mind on some pleasant thoughts...for about 30 seconds. Have you had fires and then the next morning seen some good bucks or bulls around? I would love to have a fire, seems like several of you do have them. Are you guys still seeing game in the area?

I purchased an AM/FM/SW/LW/SSB radio. About the size of a small paper back book, picks up radio stations nearly everywhere, operates for weeks on a couple of AAA batteries. Pretty sweet little radio...

"Courage is being scared to death but
saddling up anyway."

Glad I am not alone! During the archery hunt this year I backpacked in about 4-5 miles from the truck for around 5 days. I used my iPhone to watch a few movies at night and listen to podcasts/music in the afternoons. I carried a USB external battery pack (weights about 10 oz) that will recharge my iPhone 5s about 6 times completely. I turn it on airplane mode and that way I can use my phone all day to take pictures/phoneskope without having to worry about running out of battery. I normally just leave the battery pack at camp and charge my phone when I get back every night. The battery pack works better (for me) than the solar panels and it only costs around $30 bucks. I also have one that I keep in all my vehicles and a smaller one for my wife to carry in her purse.

They work great, I used mine for an August archery deer hunt in Utah, a September sheep hunt in Nevada, and a cold November Colorado muledeer hunt.

http://www.amazon.com/Capacity-1300...&ie=UTF8&qid=1421731611&sr=1-2&keywords=anker

LAST EDITED ON Jan-19-15 AT 11:40PM (MST)[p]I have the same problem. Love hunting alone, but not camping! I like to build a small fire for an hour or two before bed. But be careful, I almost started a forest fire last time. Woke up in the middle of the night to a smoldering patch of ground about 4' in diameter and I had to use all my water to put it out.

edit to add: lmao at some of these posts! and i like the podcast idea

I am too tired not to sleep on my hunts usually,but I will lay and try and relax and replay the day or plan for next.
I also nap during the day at times.
The PM pain killer is because I'm 60 and have 5 days to hunt.I don't have to remind myself I'm not 30,but I still try.
Fire is for warmth,in emergency.
I eat in the dark after getting in camp or set it up and the coffee is on by @ 4am.
I use a headlamp to hike & read maps or 1 book I take,maybe.
Funny how some folks will shave/cut every once they can,then fill it with stuff they don't need.

Yeah I still see deer around when I have had a fire. I have also had times when I have had a fire during the actual hunt and had animals not seem to care.

I tend to try and camp in areas where the animals do not seem to feed or bed but maybe travel. I really do believe that smoke and fire smell does not bother them much.

Ultimately I have never felt like my camp fire has ever really changed the behavior of animals in the area.

I take the ipod. Nights are long at home with only 6 hours of sleep. Those nights on the mountain ain't any shorter especially the 12 hour ones! Somehow I manage to get through it every year........it's only the BEST couple of days a year! I can easily put up with a few long nights! However........I am gonna try the Tylenol pm thing........

LAST EDITED ON Jan-21-15 AT 04:37PM (MST)[p]Instead of Tylenol PM, I take ibuprophen and Benadryl. Tylenol PM is just Tylenol plus Benadryl. Tylenol is a pain killer but not an inflammatory. Ibuprophen does both, and with sore muscles, I need both.

So, I take ibuprophen, Benadryl and melatonin. Helps me sleep. Throw enough for the trip in to a small ziplock and you are good to go.

Never thought I would own a Kindle, but it is great to have multiple books downloaded in such a small package.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

>LAST EDITED ON Jan-19-15
>AT 09:58?PM (MST)

>
>LAST EDITED ON Jan-19-15
>AT 07:51?PM (MST)

>
>Haha, that sure would get your
>mind on some pleasant thoughts...for
>about 30 seconds. Have you
>had fires and then the
>next morning seen some good
> bucks or bulls around?
>I would love to have
>a fire, seems like several
>of you do have them.
>Are you guys still seeing
>game in the area?

Hunters that don't have fires don't really have a clue, elk or deer could careless if you have a fire we have wildfires controlled burns the animals will feed in the middle of a controlled burn,they aren't bothered by the smell of smoke,burn the wood.Elk piss and smoke are the 2 best cover scents there are.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-21-15 AT 06:57PM (MST)[p]This is your lucky day. I have the solution to all your problems, because they have been my problems.

Audio books. You are gonna take your phone with you. Take some ear buds and put some good audio books on your phone from Audible. Time flys listening to a good audio book, and it will put you to sleep. If you wake up and cant sleep, just put it back on.
I even listen with one ear bud when I shed hunt.

Fire. No problem, I do not think it affects animals at all, compared to you being camped there. Have a fire, if that chills you out.

Keep things light, and stay mobile.

I'm with some of the others, nights are easy and much welcomed with some Tylenol PM. It's the days that kill me when I'm alone. A man can only sit in the dirt for so many hours before he gets bored.

If I move camp, it's during the daylight down time. Other wise it's small naps and reading on my phone or a book. I do always sit where I can see the most country though. Bucks often get up during the day for short periods.
Even with reading it's still hell some days. The biggest thing I tell myself is I choose to do this because I love it. I can hack just about any sort of prolonged torture for those few hours each morning and evening when the animals are up.

With all that being said, I do more meaningful thinking when on these solo trips. I have found much clarity and come across many needed answers while sitting the dirt.

I'll start having fires. Blazing, I was talking to my wife last night about being able to think clear and see the big picture when you're all alone in the mountains. I solo hunt all the time but have only done a couple overnighters on my own. You really think about what matters most. It has also been a very humbling experience for me to be on the mountain at night by myself. I think you truly realize that you are just a very very miniscule thing in this world.

This is a great thread. I also hunt solo most of the time, and the long nights alone are the only thing I don't look forward to. I don't have anything to add to make the nights more enjoyable; But, the last sentence of the last two posts are some of the underlying reasons why solo hunting is so important to me.

LOL Elkun--- I'm sure the first thing the ladies would want is some of that undercarriage stank after a long day in the backcountry

LAST EDITED ON Jan-22-15 AT 06:22PM (MST)[p] Are you hunters that don't like to hunt solo city boy's?
it's hard to imagine after 3-4 days you get lonely.
really you need all this high tech equipment to get buy, this thread makes me sad.if you can't find things to do i have nothing to help you with this. one hunt this year i hunted solo for 17 days one of my best hunts ever never once felt lonely.

People take iPads on backcountry hunts??? My god lol the last thing I'm worried about on backcountry hunts is my cell phone.

Coloradoboy

LAST EDITED ON Jan-22-15 AT 08:41PM (MST)[p]I struggled with that for years until I read "Sex and the Solo Hunter" by Jack O'Conner. Just Kidding!:)

I did a lot in my younger years. I think my longest solo hunt in the back country was 10 days. 14 day fishing trip one time. I had a little transistor radio but I don't remember ever getting lonely or afraid. There is always something to do. After about day 5, I got locked in and actually hated to go back to civilization. Now, that was lonely.

Eel

Edit: This is where I spent 10 days alone one time.

7528lakehooligan.jpg

It's written in the good Book that we'll never be asked to take more than we can. Sounds like a good plan, so bring it on!

Never get lonely. Never have trouble sleeping. I glass the whole day. The only electronics i have r my camera phone and gps. How can you be bored?!?!! I dont waste a second of my time. Theres alot of animal activity you r missing when ur watchn movies or whatever u do. But that means more deer for the rest of us?

Do you guys that cant sleep at night, cat nap to long during the day? During the day I will check out some new canyons,draws even if miles away. My spotter always goes with me. I don't give having a fire a second thought, if I get in early enough. Most of the time after I get in relax a little, get dinner, check equip, maps, plan for tomorrow, clean up, I'm ready for bed. But I'm still trying to so down when I'm in the back country.

By the second night of hunting I'm dead tired and have no trouble sleeping. I have only done solo overnighters though. That first night I don't sleep too well. When I'm laying there not tired at all I find myself wishing I was at home hanging out with my daughters and having a good time.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-23-15 AT 10:15PM (MST)[p]I gave up sleeping up and away from my camper truck long ago. We first just slept in our coats and ate from our pockets but when day bags started getting popular, i needed one of those so i had a good way to carry my spotting scope. Now, with the pack, i then could at least carry some food and a light tarp but still, way too many cold nights back in waiting for daylight so i could get up, move around, and maybe warm up.

With my little pop-up cabover on my old Chev 4X4, i can get back in close enough to decent hunting but have a nice enough place to lay down and rest the bones.

Scant on the electronic frills in my camp though other than there is a weather radio. Good Books are my favorite way to spend the down time though having that little bit of home away from home with you in that little camper, seems like there is just hardly enough time to do all the little chores need doing and get enough sleep before you get up before dawn and do it all over again.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

This is a good thread.

I had a few bad experiences with smokey fires pushing game out of the area when I was younger (I also used to camp closer to the animals feeding/bedding areas than I should have.) but may have to give it another try as the first couple nights can get long.

After a few days the mid day boredom and missing the kids becomes the hardest part, but I'm pretty good at powering through though. When I get bored I get up and move and start glassing again. It's amazing how many deer you can find bedded up against trees or in the shade during mid day.

I've got a little twist to this question. How do you deal with night time while hunting solo in grizzly country?

I back packed the Canadian Artic alone and that was before I ever heard of a cell phone. I never felt so alive.

2311idiot.jpg

I always had a campfire and thought nothing of it. In the above photo, deer would come in, in the wee hours of the morning, and paw around in my cold fire ring. Getting the charcoal, I guess.

Eel

It's written in the good Book that we'll never be asked to take more than we can. Sounds like a good plan, so bring it on!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom