Nikon Spotter XL vs. Wind River Sequoia

Daxter

Very Active Member
Looking for an affordable mid-level spotter. I have been looking at the Nikon Spotter XL and Wind River Sequoia. I am looking for pros, cons, or any other suggestions. Thanks.
Dax

Opticaly, the Nikon XL is better than the Wind River. I think the Wind River has more eye relife if you wear glasses.

Out of the two, spend a bit more for the Nikon. I have the Wind River and can't stand it. It is heavy and dark when used past 20 power and it isn't very clear. I know some folks thoroughly like theirs. Ultimately, it will come down to what your eyes see when you look through them.

Good Luck,

Garion

LAST EDITED ON Aug-10-05 AT 04:35AM (MST)[p]The Nikon XL II is only multi coated but has an awesome set of lenses in it. It also has a nice lens shade built in to it. I assume you are looking at the new XL II listed on opticsplanet.com for $449.

The XL has less rubber armor and no sun shade but its optics are fully multi coated and give you the best picture out of the two Nikons but it costs too much at $695. Also listed on opticsplanet.com.

Honestly, the Bushnell Elite 15-45x60mm is the old Baush & Lomb model from last year when Bushnell bought out B&L. The optics are fully multi coated, it has every feature of the Nikon XL and XL II except the sun shade. It actually looks like the XL exactly. Difference physically is nil. Difference in price is significant as opticsplanet has it listed on sale for $359. This is absolutely the bust buy on a spotting scope right now.

Be careful with the Leupold Wind River Sequoiah. I want to say that I will always fully support American products for a few extra bucks but this product is not what it is said to be. Opticsplanet lists this as "all air to glass surfaces are fully multi coated." This is misleading. To be truely fully multi coated each lens should be fully multi coated on each side, not just the "air to glass" surfaces. This is why it appears dark above 20 power. It is listed for about $280 on opticsplanet.

If you want a Leupold go with the Gold Ring. This scope has the optics you are looking for and the world famous Leupold quality. But it will set you back $850. And at that price you might as well start comparing it with a different class of optics.

So, for the money the Bushnell Elite is the best scope out there. Compare it to the drastically more expensive Nikon XL and you will see they are probably made at the same plant as they look exactly the same. The difference is in the coatings and for some reason the Bushnell got the better coatings and a far cheaper price.

* as a last note. after reading my post it appears that I am associated with opticsplanet. i am not in any way shape or form. good luck deciding on a scope.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom