Nine mile anthro Myton pronghorn

Bux n Dux

Hey all! I drew this muzzleloader tag with 0 points. I have hunted the bookcliffs bittercreek unit and south slope vernal for goats, but never been in this part of the state. Curious what an average size goat is for this area? Wasnt too impressed with the books unit quality, vernal was good-decent. just wondering if this one is about the same as the books on the other side of the river or if it’s different? Either way grateful for the unexpected opportunity.

I have checked out the hunt planner on the DWR website. Seems like most info there is on that is copied and pasted across all species and hunt types for the whole unit. Searched here for info, but all info seems to be outdated with how old it is.

anyone that might have areas to look at while scouting the area or other info they’d be willing to share, I’m definitely all ears. But certainly not the purpose of this post. Mostly looking for an idea on what to expect. Thanks and good luck to all who drew tags this year!

Yep, should hold out for a good one up there. My wife and daughter have had that tag and both shot high 70's bucks. With the right amount of patience I think 80" is an attainable goal for sure.--------SS

80” might be tough by the time the muzzy hunt comes around but definitely doable.
If I’m being honest, if there’s a legitimate chance at a 75” or better potential opportunity, that will exceed my expectations for this hunt. I’ve killed a couple big goats, I’m just really looking for a good hunt experience and a nice buck to possibly go with it

I shot this one on that unit in 2019

8985B457-8EE5-4055-8B81-A1FB7700C9DB.jpeg

I also have it this year, any weapon, I was there in 2011 with my brother on his elk hunt, I saw a few nice bucks that is why I have been putting in for it, I would love to hear how your hunt goes, and would also appreciate any helpful info anyone is willing to pass on! Good luck to everyone this year.

How did your hunt end up going? I’m hoping to potentially draw this tag next year, would love to hear how it went for you.

Been down there on the archery hunt. Seen some goats but no where near what was down there last year. They must of had a pretty good winter die off. Don’t get me wrong, we seen 30 to 40 bucks but not like in the past. we shot a 73” goat. Seen some bigger ones but getting too old and tired to chase them.

Last edited:
About what you’d expect on that type of hunt. Due to some work, family obligations and another hunt that weekend, I ended up with just 1 day to hunt, which was the opener. I drove around all morning in the pouring rain, covering all the areas you’d expect to see goats. Looked over 50ish bucks. At noon I went back and shot the best one I had seen a few hours earlier at about 50 yards after he let me drive right up to him on a 2 track. He was O.K. Nothing to write home about. I didn’t see another hunter the entire time. I’d do the hunt again for sure. But I wouldn’t dump 5 or more points into it.

On a side note, I hunted south slope vernal this year on my dads archery hunt. That unit has taken a dive from what it was just a few years ago. There’s still a couple keepers though. If anyone has that tag and needs some current info, send me a PM.

I got it done this morning with the smokepole Didn't see huge numbers. But I also didn't see anyone else. This guy was rutting hard and didn't see anything else following the group. Happy I was able to at least get out as busy I as I have been lately.

PXL_20230927_145335971~2.jpg

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom