NM Elk Hunt/Unit Opinions?

copple2

Howdy guys,

I'm looking at these 3 hunts as options to put in for in NM as a non-resident this year. If anyone here has hunted one of these hunts and/or has on opinion on quality of hunt, that would be much appreciated. I'm aware of the draw odds of each.

Here are the options that I'm looking at.
Unit 17 Second Season Muzzy (Oct 19-23)
Unit 17 Third Season Muzzy (Nov 16-20)
Unit 16B Second Season Rifle (Oct 19-23)

I've spent some time in 17, but always earlier in the year than these dates. I have no first hand experience with 16B, but have some buddies who have archery hunted it.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

copple2

All 3 hunts can be great! It truly depends on the effort your willing to put into any of these hunts. The very best elk hunters I know have never killed an elk in the rut. IMO these are extremely great tags to draw! Good luck in the draw!

I just call em as I see em!

Ditto, post rut hunts,steep nasty in spots,but great elk in both. I haven't hunted either but scout in them time to time,and they go on list. 16b did get cooked and will be better than ever in few years.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-10-13 AT 10:04AM (MST)[p]Hello Jon-

Hope all is well.

Not sure if the above was your order of selecting hunts or just hunts your looking at.

IMHO-If this is your order, needs to be re-arranged......

Jim
www.newmexicobiggamehunting.com

Hey Guys,

thanks for the feedback here. These 3 are the options I'm looking at for my third choice on the 'ol application. I've hunted 17 first muzzy last year and had a blast. Hoping I can pull that tag again! But, I'm looking for a solid third choice as well.

Keep the suggestions coming!

Much Appreciated,

copple2

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom