NM Hunter Safety Rule Topic... WOW!!

OCHO

I clicked this the other day thinking it would be a good read... Oh boy, it was a youtube video of the commission meeting. I have not been able to watch the whole thing but it took less than 10 minutes to see how many people continue to scam us and the system The amount of kids 6 years old alone blows my mind and baffles me even more than parents are putting in their 1, 2 and 3 year old kids all the way to 6 years old and them successfully drawing! The amount of people using their name and a SR or JR to draw basically a second tag or a tag period is crazy! I hope we can get this under wraps! This is sad but boy humanity as a whole makes me shake my head!

Here is the video link...

I believe he said the youngest was a 3-year-old, which is still extremely shady and doubtful that this kid completed online hunter ed on his own.

I believe he said the youngest was a 3-year-old, which is still extremely shady and doubtful that this kid completed online hunter ed on his own.
3 kids under 1 years old and 1 year old. Either way its extremely disappointing and after watching the whole thing there seams like it will be a bit of an up hill battle to actually have a legal plan to combat this with real solutions.

3 kids under 1 years old and 1 year old. Either way its extremely disappointing and after watching the whole thing there seams like it will be a bit of an up hill battle to actually have a legal plan to combat this with real solutions.
That's friggin ridiculous. I'm sure those 3 year olds were hiking deep into the woods looking for a big bull!!

Maybe they need to consider some sort of penalty on the parent that applied the 3 year old, same goes for the 1 year old applicants parent. Seems pretty obvious to me this is just another chance in the draw for the parents.

I once talked to a girl who was in ABQ around 2:00 on the last day of her Gila archery tag. I asked her how her hunt was going. Also what bow, arrow, broadhead, etc she was shooting......she had no idea. Interestingly, she was still planning on tagging out bc her boyfriend was currently out there "scouting" for a bull for her while she was finishing her appt with me. He had been "scouting" for her the last couple of days too. Seems pretty reasonable to me that she would leave ABQ at 3:00 on the last day of the hunt and plan to kill a bull in the Gila...... or maybe show up (in the dark) to wrap her tag around one that her boyfriend "scouted".

Same crap happens with 80 something year olds (maybe even 90?) applying in the draw under their kids (or grandkids) guidance. No offense to all 80 year olds, some may still be able to get out there and do it, but I'd argue most will end up "donating" their tag to a family member.

This crap tics me off way more than non-resident quota issues. It's also not debatable like private land quotas. It's flat out people abusing the system, at the expense of others.

Last edited:
Of course a 3 year-old couldn't pass an online exam, but the parents could......how you gonna check it? Bet the parents could also load and shoot the rifle for the kiddo too.

If this is in fact true, that 3 year old's are being entered in the draw, it's absurd and should be addressed.

I'm just started looking at hunter safety options for my 9 year-old son. Maybe I could have fudged some numbers and got him entered as a 3 year-old under the mentored youth system??

Good thing I've got a 5 year old too. I've really been wanting to draw.....I mean, HE'S really been wanting to draw some of those awesome youth tags. He's been talking about it non-stop since the day he was born.

Last edited:
Wow, this is really discouraging. I do think there should be some type of punishment for those scamming the system.
My son passed at 8 years old and killed his first buck that year as well. We worked at it hard to get him ready to hunt at that age. I really cant imagine a kid being much younger than that.

Wow, this is really discouraging. I do think there should be some type of punishment for those scamming the system.
My son passed at 8 years old and killed his first buck that year as well. We worked at it hard to get him ready to hunt at that age. I really cant imagine a kid being much younger than that.

My oldest did hers at 9 and killed her first deer later that fall.

She was almost too little...

image000001.jpeg
image000000.jpeg
image000002.jpeg
My 8 year old Nephew passed his hunter Saftey last year, and scored his first buck.
My son passed when he was 9 , now my daughter is 8 and will be taking hers.
The system should have an automatic flag for a 1 year old kid that’s ridiculous. Then again people who are 130 years old are still voting so what do we expect ?
The parents should ? be held accountable

Every kid is different, mine started at 8 and killed his first deer. Looking back now I say it was too young for him. A age needs to be picked and IMO should be 9-10

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom