nm jerky

Jacob,
If you're referring to the stuff you can buy in ABQ and stores, I can't help. However, if you mean NM-style Carne Seca (dried meat), the trick is to hang it to dry on string, not an oven or dehydrator. We use nothin but pepper, salt and chile pequin (sp?) and hang it. If we are in a hurry, we'll start it in a dehydrator...

I've had a few really good batches with the following recipe:

Marinate the meat in a combination of liquid smoke, worcestershire (hardest word in the enlgish language to say and spell..ha ha)and your normal spices. I use a light comination of all the following: salt, red pepper, garlic powder and basil. I usually let this sit overnight covered and then throw it in the dehydrator the following morning. Has come out really well on elk, oryx, deer and barbary sheep. A fellow MM members' mom taught me this, although she also mixes in a touch of brown sugar and uses soy sauce along with liquid smoke and worcestershire. Usually turns out a little sweeter and is a awesome for those that don't like peppered or spicy jerky.

MM member Ungulate Foe makes a really good green chili jerky as well. Not sure of his recipe but he's brought it along on a few of our adventures and it was dynamite!

Im interested in trying the other spices you guys mentioned as they sound pretty dang good. I am a jerky fan and it makes a great munchie for the pack or road trip!

id like to hear some good green chile recipies! making room in the freezer as we speak for the late seasons harvest...

Chops...

salt meat and rub in...

take your roasted peeled green, dice it and saute in butter and olive oil, salt and garlic...set aside

dip(thoroughly coat) salted meat in REAL maple syrup and place in casserole dish 1 layer at a time...divide meat layers with a good spreading of your sauteed green

top off with last of chile and drizzle with maple...cover and marinate overnight in fridge

next day, add just enough pilsner or lager beer to cover jerky mixture and marinate an additional night

lay flat on medium/fine dehydrator screens and redistribute chile mix over meat

dry just until chewy...if you do happen to over-dry it just brush jerky with beer and let sit at low drying temp an hour or two to reconstitute

good stuff!

and i think that thin, crossgrain sliced flank and brisket make the best jerky

cheers

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom