NM Off-range Oryx

countryboy300

1915img0595.jpg

3539img0597.jpg

7519img0590.jpg

This is the first off-range tag i have had. I already got my OIL on base. I did a lot of research, talking with people and map studying. But getting super lucky is what I'm chalking it up too. I was able to get out Aug. 31st right before my hunt and do a little scouting for the next day. I had the whole month of Sept to get it done. Luck had it, i found a couple oryx off base. Came back the next day looking for them with rifle in hand and couldn't find them. Now i can feel a cold creeping into my body. Then next morning felt like crap with a full blone cold and headed home.

A week and a half later dad and myself headed down. Set up camp that evening. About a 20 mile 4 wheeler ride that took 2.5 hrs. Then rolled out of the tent before first light and started glassing. We found some oryx on-base south about a mile. They were close to the fence and looks like they were heading off range. I was working in that direction. I found a spot in the fence where oryx were crossing and busted the bottom wire. When about half way there, i looked over the fence and there is the joker face working his way over to me. I sit right down and he keeps coming. Then i loose him as I'm waiting behind the weeds. While waiting, something told me to get the bi-pod ready. Then i was prompted to look behind me at the crossing to see where he might cross. Then that is when i spotted this guy, she came right in from behind me. She was about 15 yds on the public land looking at the fence. Having my bi-pod down already made the 125yd shot standing broadside a little less difficult.

At the shot she ran like a bad out of hell. Missing the crossing in the fence now she is running to me and at a angle while still off range. Then i hit her a second time with my .300 win mag and put her down for good. Could have not turned out any better. Luckily we packing in a ton of ice blocks. Got her back to camp caped, quartered and skinned her out at camp under a sun shade. Boy it got hot!!!!!!! right at 100 degree. So blessed with a typical horned, with length @ 34" and no frost bite ears. Sorry for the long read, just pumped now on to the other hunts we have. Thanks Danny

I spent some time down on the white sands missle range a few years ago. saw a few of those rascals. except for the heat, that sounds like a pretty fun hunt, but plenty challenging!!
way to go!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom