NM Oryx

huntswnm

I live here in SW NM, but have never applied for one of the Oryx hunts. I know there is two styles of hunts, off and on range. Could anyone give information as to which of the on range areas/dates are good ones to apply for? How bout the off range hunts. Thanks,
Jeff

Well the animals on range are plentiful. You will see animals. You will have a chance at an animal. If you can find someone that has gone before either with a friend or hunted. Or contact friends that put in for hunts so that if they draw you can tag along. Success ratio is probably over 90%. As far as off-range I have not been yet. I drew my tag a couple of years ago and have been applying for the off-range hunts every year. I believe that scouting is the key. Topo maps and doing your homework would be needed but it can be done. The fence line around the base with a good water hole would be what I would look for. I have been hunting or with friends the past 2 years and get to go again this year on the Stalion Range. I got a 36" bull with 7" bases last year. They are bigger ones out there. The meat is very very good. If I could be more help let me know.

Thanks 30inch,
Is there a certain time of the year that is better than others, obviosly cooler the better?? Which range is preferred?

you should start apply...maybe luck first try and draw..i know some people have been apply for 15-20 years with no luck...i have been trying for 12 years before i drew...my wife drew first try...

my cousins have been trying for 5 years now with no luck...my brother have been trying for 7 years now with no luck..i hope they will draw soon! some of friends of my drew on first try..lucky them!

try apply in range first..so u can get more acknowledge what oryx method..then u can try for off range...

what part of sw do u live...

Stallion range is near Socorro..
Rhodes Canyon..by Tularosa
Red Canyon...near Oscura
Tularosa canyon..by Tularosa
Small Missle range by Las Cruces..

so Good luck! hope u draw and have a good hunt

vinihunt

LAST EDITED ON Jan-05-05 AT 01:36PM (MST)[p]I have only been on the Stallion Range. I beleive that they are all good. They issue the most tags on the Stallion Range. That is why we always go there. Time of year I have always gone on the Jan. hunt.

Vinihunt,
I live in Silver City. Any of them sound good to me. Are you allowed to bring one person along with you on the hunt, or is that extra. The range charges an extra $100 on top of the tag right?
Jeff

*Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, weapon in one hand, calls in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"*

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom