NM Southern units/Caution

RioHuntNutt

Drug Cartel Infiltrating Key Arizona Hunting Areas
by Brian McCombie - Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Drug Cartel Infiltrating Key Arizona Hunting Areas

More
SUBSCRIBE
?Hikers, campers warned about assassins in parts of Pinal County? was an attention-grabbing headline last week as ABC15 reported that the Pinal County Sheriff?s Office (PCSO) had just issued a warning to outdoor recreationists?especially those traveling on back roads and wilderness areas?that drug cartel ?assassins? were potentially roaming the area. Sheriff Paul Babeu recommended extreme caution, and suggested carrying a firearm in any wilderness areas.

As reported by the station, ?Mexican cartels are sending the ?sicarios??groups of assassins?to kill rivals trying to steal their drugs. The armed enforcers are expected to target ?rip crews,? who ambush other transport gangs to take their drugs and money.? According to PCSO, deputies have reported seeing a rise in armed encounters with cartel drug runners.

?We are taking this threat seriously and believe that the public and my deputies deserve to know that there is an elevated risk of encountering gun violence in certain areas of Pinal County,? Babeu said.

Click here to read the full story

Of course, had it been the fall, the warning would equally apply to hunters, especially as Pinal County?located directly between Phoenix and Tucson?is home to some pretty good Coues and mule deer hunting, as well as dove and javelina hunting.

Fear that border areas with Mexico could be unsafe may result in leftover deer and javelina hunting tags in these hunting units, admits Mark A. Hart, public information officer for the Arizona Game and Fish Department.

?However,? Hart adds, ?we typically sell most if not all leftover deer and javelina tags for the borderlands units over-the-counter after the draw. That has been the case for at least the past five years. The hunting is good there.?

Hart also notes that the U.S. Border Patrol suggests the traffic in illegal aliens has shifted from the Arizona border east into Texas. Even so, illegal drugs are still very much moving through Pinal County?amid hunting season, too. Last November, the U.S. Border Patrol and PCSO detectives seized 1,737 pounds of marijuana and arrested 21 drug smugglers, 19 of them Mexican citizens, in western Pinal County. That's the good news.

The bad? An estimated 40 additional smugglers eluded capture.

Deputy Mark Clark, PCSO public information officer, says he knows of no violent confrontations between hunters and illegals in Pinal County. Yet, he adds, ?There are not any direct threats to hunters, but with the inter-cartel violence potential raised, the indirect threat [of violence] is there.?

With the fall hunting season coming up, what is the best solution to preventing the potential for inter-cartel violence in these areas? Sheriff Babeu asserted, ?Our heroes in the U.S. Border Patrol deserve the full support of the President and our government to fully enforce immigration law and secure the border at the border, not 70 miles north where these smuggling crimes occurred.?

Maybe Mr. Trump?s much criticized wall between the United States and Mexico would help safeguard some of our hunting opportunities?including our ability to hunt without fear of being involved in a drug cartel gun fight?

IN THIS ARTICLE

I can tell you first hand that it is bad. I coues hunt and lion hunt down that way. One of my sons is a BPA out of the Douglas sector so I get that point of view as well. People are oblivious to the issue.

I haven't hunted deer in southern AZ for over a decade, and even back then I regularly (like multiple times per day) glassed illegals marching north.

I sat water one day and had a dozen illegals with a leader holding GPS come by. When they saw me waving fletching out the window of my pop-up blind they backed off. But I sure wished I had a pistol on me. As soon as they were out of sight I folded up the blind and hauled arse out of there.

Other friends saw a line of "mules" with bales on their backs and notified BP. Within few minutes a chopper landed, intercepted the drug runners and burned the bales.

Can't imagine what it's like now and definitely wouldn't go anywhere unarmed.

And this is why "a little harmless weed" really is a crime against society, not just a commercial transaction between the dealer and the pot-head. Because the anarchy down there makes it so that I can't take my kids out in the desert for a simple stink-pig or mineral hunt. The injustice of that really chafes my shorts.

Amen, Reuben_Soady and Smarba.

I lived in Tucson until my move to ABQ in 2006, and I thought it was bad then. At the time, I thought twice about where I hunted and we even "packed" illegally before the laws changed. I've got buddies that still hunt in remote areas south of Tucson and even camp in those areas! No thanks. It's a damn shame we can't enjoy our sovereign country anymore. On a lighter note, I just got a Zen-Ray 20-60 82mm spotter delivered today and I'd love to join NMPaul on that wall!

Phil

>Amen, Reuben_Soady and Smarba.
>
>I lived in Tucson until my
>move to ABQ in 2006,
>and I thought it was
>bad then. At the
>time, I thought twice about
>where I hunted and we
>even "packed" illegally before the
>laws changed. I've got
>buddies that still hunt in
>remote areas south of Tucson
>and even camp in those
>areas! No thanks.
>It's a damn shame we
>can't enjoy our sovereign country
>anymore. On a lighter
>note, I just got a
>Zen-Ray 20-60 82mm spotter delivered
>today and I'd love to
>join NMPaul on that wall!
>
>
>Phil

I think we insist on glassing stations if Trump builds a wall.

Simple....if you want to end that chit vote Trump in. He will probably send a Battalion of Marines down there and clean it up like it should be and send all illegals back to where ever they came from or vote for Clinton and have more of the same plus trans gender rest rooms in church, school, Wal Mart etc. WTF....Pretty simple.

This is really disappointing. I want to hunt for a good coues one day and now it sounds like it's getting more and more sketchy to do so.

Lucky for you they are well north of the border these days.
Only deer population that seem to be increasing in NM that I can see.

There are criminals everywhere! To say you need to be careful while hunting along the border is a no brainer. I have had things stolen out of my truck both in unit 16-A and in unit 15. I've been harrased by stick wielding hippy thugs in the heart of 16-B with the message that wolves belong while I was elk hunting. I've had individuals aggressively try and take deer that I rightfully harvested in unit 38 when it was just region K a few years back. We just heard about thugs chasing down a guy in the Jemez. We had a park ranger shot a few years back in El Vado or Herron state parks for doing his job. I've been told to stay out of areas by armed individuals in unit 43 who were growing pot in the national forest. We have all read about thieves in unit 51 stealing anything left out at camps. The criminal element is everywhere. Everywhere!
Vigilance is the key no matter where you hunt! Use commonsense, stand your ground, stay calm and stay alive!

Couldn't agree more Muleywisper. If you think you are in so much danger down south and safe up north you need to watch the news once in a while. I feel a thousand times safer in the desert down in 25, 26, or 27 than I do in Albuquerque, Roswell, Farminton, or most any other city in NM.

It's all preception. I for one love it that a lot of guys are scared to go down there. Makes it easier for me to draw a tag. Now if we could only get some drug runners and a few border jumpers into unit 16 to scare away a few people up there maybe I could draw a tag.

Shhh!
Let folks stay in Albacrackie,SF,PHX,Tuscon, etc. and think their safe...

...I am nice and safe in the middle of no where SW NM amongst the lions & tigers & bears...& locals,oh my. LOL

Seriously, I have never had my stuff messed with in NM hunting,etc. Just on my way & in the cities.
I am cautious by nature.Retired LEO etc...but common sense practices are useful.

NMPaul....
Best post I've read on MM in months!!!!
You know damn well that you, me and the rest of the rednecks would love to glass off the wall..... Might help to wear a shirt with a red and white bullseye on the back though!!!!!

Last season I hunted whitetail just north of Douglas Az which is right on US/Mexico border....after 6 days of intense glassing I never saw one illegal.....did see quite a few border patrol through.....and a few good coues bucks.....just saying.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom