NM Unit 17 Muzzleloader Oct 17-21

Jasp_NM

I'm hunting Bull Elk in Unit 17! I have never hunted this unit. It looks like interesting terrain. I'd rather stay out of the steep and deep, as I'm getting older. Anyone hunt the P and J regions, 7K - 8K elevation during the tail/end of the rut? I'm looking at the NW end of the Withington Wilderness area for starters.

I'm hunting Bull Elk in Unit 17! I have never hunted this unit. It looks like interesting terrain. I'd rather stay out of the steep and deep, as I'm getting older. Anyone hunt the P and J regions, 7K - 8K elevation during the tail/end of the rut? I'm looking at the NW end of the Withington Wilderness area for starters.
I hunted 17 last year during the first archery. Never hunted the NW part of the unit, I split my time between the West side of the magdalena mountains and the San mateos near the Apache kid wilderness. Saw lots BIG bulls in both areas and few people compared to the NW end from what I heard from others, even though a guys cousin killed a great bull in that area. I was able to kill a good 6x6 in the PJ’s but in a pretty steep country, it gets steep on that country real quick. The elk would funnel into the flats at night and head back up the mountains at first light so intersecting them worked pretty good if you could pin point their bugles. It’s a great hunt and other guides I met back there said the muzzle season is their favorite and a better chance at killing a really big bull. Message if you have anymore questions, you’ll have a blast! I can’t wait to get back some day.

Congrats on the tag Jasp_NM. I'll also be hunting there this year but for the second muzzleloader hunt, after yours. Good luck on the hunt.

I hunted 17 last year during the first archery. Never hunted the NW part of the unit, I split my time between the West side of the magdalena mountains and the San mateos near the Apache kid wilderness. Saw lots BIG bulls in both areas and few people compared to the NW end from what I heard from others, even though a guys cousin killed a great bull in that area. I was able to kill a good 6x6 in the PJ’s but in a pretty steep country, it gets steep on that country real quick. The elk would funnel into the flats at night and head back up the mountains at first light so intersecting them worked pretty good if you could pin point their bugles. It’s a great hunt and other guides I met back there said the muzzle season is their favorite and a better chance at killing a really big bull. Message if you have anymore questions, you’ll have a blast! I can’t wait to get back some day.
Thanks for the note! I scouted this last weekend before the archery hunt got started. Met some really nice hunters up there. I see what you mean about getting steep quick! I plan hunt the flats and the P and J. I also saw 2 big bulls up top of Whithington. This looks like a great opportunity for me to possibly get my first bull.

Congrats on the tag Jasp_NM. I'll also be hunting there this year but for the second muzzleloader hunt, after yours. Good luck on the hunt.
Cool! I can pass down some information to you if you want it. I have been scouting and I'm really liking what I see! This looks like a really good opportunity. Good Luck. I'll let you know how my hunt goes and what I find.

Sounds good. I'm in Florida and will be flying out for the hunt, so no preseason scouting for me! From what I've heard there is still a chance for some late rutting action during your hunt, but by the time my hunt comes around it should be strictly post rut. The fact that the hunt dates for both muzzleloader hunts are extra late this year, I'd say there is a pretty good chance that you don't encounter much rutting activity and the bigger bulls will be found more in secluded areas.

Sounds good. I'm in Florida and will be flying out for the hunt, so no preseason scouting for me! From what I've heard there is still a chance for some late rutting action during your hunt, but by the time my hunt comes around it should be strictly post rut. The fact that the hunt dates for both muzzleloader hunts are extra late this year, I'd say there is a pretty good chance that you don't encounter much rutting activity and the bigger bulls will be found more in secluded areas.
Agreed on the all that! It is hotter than hell here right now. I didn't see any activity in the lower areas. Elk are still way up high. The burn scars are amazing! The area was somewhat wet this last weekend. I'm in Rio Rancho, just North of ABQ. We have been really hot and dry this year. I was surprised to see green grass and washed out, rutted roads in the Whithington Wilderness area. Soil was still damp. I hope that continues. I'm fine with the post rut hunting for this unit. I think it will work out well. It's rough country! I'm going to use my quad to get around, then boots on the ground. My truck took a beating this last weekend.

You guys have a tag I have applied for my whole life and never drawn. There are elk, and some absolute stud bulls. They can be secluded after the rut. Will be an awesome hunt. I have seen elk in some places you would never expect to see elk in that unit (hunted it ten plus times for deer, which I can’t draw there anymore either, lol).

My 15 yr old daughter has the Oct 10th youth hunt in hoping she can kill a bull it doesn't need to be big but she does want to kill a bull in hoping she gets the opportunity to hear them scream

My 15 yr old daughter has the Oct 10th youth hunt in hoping she can kill a bull it doesn't need to be big but she does want to kill a bull in hoping she gets the opportunity to hear them scream
I hope she gets one too! I'm willing to bet they will still be rutting for the Youth hunt. Best of luck and congrats!

You guys have a tag I have applied for my whole life and never drawn. There are elk, and some absolute stud bulls. They can be secluded after the rut. Will be an awesome hunt. I have seen elk in some places you would never expect to see elk in that unit (hunted it ten plus times for deer, which I can’t draw there anymore either, lol).
This was the first time I put in for this unit. I had never been there until this summer. My first impression was, "where the heck are the Elk going to be besides way up there?" I'm also hearing that I can find elk in odd places. I'm hoping to find a good bull in the lower lands. I'm getting older and I don't move up and down the steep and deep so well. I'm very excited about this hunt.

Keep bragging about the unit, and it will be a long time before you draw it again!...lol???

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom