NM unit 27 Coues Hunt

N

NMhuntnutt

Have any of you every hunted unit 27 in NM ? One of my buddies dad and the DR. he works for went down and killed two beautiful bucks , my friends is a super buck , he was un officially scored at 90 Boone AND Crocket but I thinks thats a heck of a buck .The other is a little 2x3 , but beautiful just the same . I live way up north of there but have always toyed with the thought of putting in . Whats the area like and are there plenty of deer ?...NMhuntnutt

NMhuntnutt,
27 is an awesome area. I conducted a jaguar survey for the G&F in '98 and saw hundreds of deer. The survey took place in early summer so I didn't see big racks, but there were huge sheds everywhere. Much of the survey was on Nat. Forest, but we also were on the Gray Ranch. The Animas mtns. were full of sheds, but they are contained within the Gray Ranch.
The area is very rough. The hills aren't that tall but the canyons are a challenge. Lots of oak covered hills. I'd say it is probably much like a lot of coues habitat in AZ. There are desert bighorns there, as well as lions, so you get a pretty good picture of what the area is like. Let me know if you need help, I might can help.
Josh

hey nmhuntnutt

how's everything with you? hope good...as for unit 27...before it became a drawing system...i always go down there to hunt deer and tough place to hunt, big bucks are there...i harvest hybrid coues/mule ..its mounted ...i shot when the mule deer buck was with 6 coues doe...ill try snap a photo and scan it so can get an opinion what people say...the tail is wide but mule tail...like josh said...tough terrains lots of rocks...canyons...we like to hike up and glasses down the hill

i hunt around skelton canyon, skull canyon, geronimo canyon down at coronado nat. forest..

i applied 3 years now with no luck....good luck

vinihunt

Larry-

You might want to contact crazyaboutcoues...I think he knows that area and might be able to help you out. Good luck!

Scott G.

Josh,
I would like to hear how the Jag survey went. Also I have a question about the Elk banquet email me if you get a chance.
Dave

Dave,
The jaguar survey was pretty cool, no jags, but lots of lions everywhere down there. I'll tell you more at the banquet. What did you need to know about the banquet? It should be pretty good this year.
We have a lion hunt on the Double H Ranch to be auctioned off. The guide said last year they took 22 lions off of the ranch which is 211 sq. miles. That's more than one cat for every 10 sq miles!!
We also have another deer hunt with Chuck Daggett on the Best Ranch. The guy last year shot a nice one, but passed up a 36"!! So he is still out there! If anybody wants to come to our RMEF banquet let me know, or if you want to bid on either of these hunts, I can help get you set up to bid by phone.
Dave, if you need more info email me at elk4you @hotmail.com
thanks,
Josh

Thanks for all the in sight guys , I'm actually looking at the muzzleloader hunt and have heard great things about the unit .elk4you when and where is the banquet ? I love those deals , a couple years ago we went to a NWTF deal , not many people showed up and we walked away with two Tom Monzanares paintings for 150.00 , and won a couple raffles .Let me know , if any thing maybe I could get some drawing tickets ....NMhuntnutt

NMHuntnutt,
The banquet is March 8th at the Landing on CAFB in Clovis. The price is $60 for a couple, $45 single. We are going to have all kinds of goodies. Giving away a safe for $20/ chance. We 'll have several "card tricks" where we sell a deck of cards one at a time for $20 a playing card. We also have a big raffle for several rifles where you don't have to be present to win:
1st: Browning SS 338 ultra mag
2nd: Win 70 SS 300 ultra mag
3rd: Colt Light Rifle 7mm Rem mag => ~6 1/4 lbs!!
4th: White SS 50 cal ML
5th: Win 70 30-06

Tickets for these guns are 5 for $20, or 20 for $70. We will also have a ton of other things that are cool ie. knives, log cabin furniture, prints, bronzes, etc...
Let me know soon if you want tickets, we will sell out here within a week or so.
Thanks,
Josh

Josh, Got my question answered on the banquet today.
Look forward to meeting you there. Will definately be sell out as I have got several people coming that had not even heard about it or the chapter. One more question though. The 60 bucks does that include a chance at the rifles or do you have to purchase the tickets seperately?
I am Ben Smiths uncle by the way . Dont hold that against me.
See you March 8
Dave

elk4you , heres my e-mail address ,[email protected] , shoot me over some info on that nice rifle raffle , i'll put a check in the mail .I'm up in Santa Fe , it'll get to you in plenty of time , so I could get back my raffles ....thanks ...Larry G

Pinyon,
Man it's a small world! I went to HS with Ben. Are he and Albin going to come this year?
The $60 is for your membership and meals. To have a chance at the raffles, you must purchase tickets. You can do this now or even at the banquet. See you at the banquet.
Josh

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom