NM unit 30 Barbary sheep info

elk_crazy

Just looking for a little info. I've put tons of posts on monster muleys with grateful help from all members. I'm in need of some sheep info for this unit for sheep I've hunted mule deer in the unit but not once seen sheep. I will be goin for the February hunt. I'm not looking for any honey holes just some general info and a point to start scouting. Any help would be appreciated.

general info? i can definitely help. theres no sheep in artesia. very few in hope. none in carlsbad. however within 5 miles of the carlsbad city limits small groups have been seen on rare occasion. within 10 miles of the carlsbad artesia highways theres hardly no sheep except the area just west of brantley. basically the whole unit has them. wanna know how to find them???? wear high heels and have the best spotting scope money can buy. for the stupid people out there that means sheep are found with optics not boot leather. it usually takes me an hour or less to be on sheep anywhere in unit 30 but ive learned to see them anywhere from 1.5 to 5 miles out. they hide when u get under a mile. thats a fact. good luck walking up on them. ive done it but only a few times. 99% of my sheep are found in the spotting scope over a mile away.

if u walk into a canyon that looks like it has sheep and u see none look for a hill that looks into it that canyont thats at least a mile away. walk to that hill and once the last public land hunter leaves the canyon u think should hold sheep, and u are on your 1 mile away vantage point give it 30 minutes and watch the sheep start popping out.

Sorry about that--not sure how my post that was intended for the other thread ended up cluttering this one.

sorry about mozey. if u ever meet him in real life just be nice to him. hes handicapped and in a wheel chair. he had a real bad accident and his mind aint right anymore. he lives with his mom and shes the one who posts for him on the internet and shes not the most computer savy gal. hes super cool to be around and hunt with but he cant control his bowel movements and if his nurse isnt with him to change his diapers he can get pretty rank but we all love mozey even though hes special.

Oh no problem at all Stomper. I've been on this forum for at least 10 years and have come to realize that there are a lot of great people on here that have fun and enjoy being part of this forum as much as I do. Glad fellow hunters and future hunters can be a part of such a great forum.

That's a little harsh about the wheelchair, Stomp...

2106index.jpg

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom