NM Unit 36 Deer

I was fortunate enough to draw a Muzzleloader tag for Unit 36 dates 19-23 Oct. I know that this is not the best unit for mule deer, but its my first mule deer hunt and I'm going to try my best to make it a success.Im delpoyed right now but I will be able to scout in October before my hunt. Does anyone have any tips or locations to start at? Thanks.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-22-19 AT 02:30PM (MST)[p]GET OFF THE BEATEN PATH! Go at least 3 mls in and set up camp, then hunt out from there everyday. Most people wont put in the effort. Find a good vantage pt. and glass around timber line, the bigger bucks will be up high. I drew a tag for unit 34 rifle in Nov. Down load the New Mexico Pocket ranger on your phone.

Good Luck !

I was on a backpacking trip with my daughters in 36 this weekend. If you are just looking for an opportunity to hunt you will have a good time. If you are looking for a 180"+ buck, you will almost certainly be disappointed. Just driving through Ruidoso, you will see "urban deer". The urban deer hunt experience wouldn't be very good and dealing with private property boundaries would be a headache so I wouldn't recommend trying to hunt too close to Ruidoso.
You can find deer anywhere in the unit but in general the low desert country will have lower concentrations of deer.
Are you stationed in Alamogordo?
Send me a PM and I could give you a few ideas.

>LAST EDITED ON Apr-22-19
>AT 02:30?PM (MST)

>
>GET OFF THE BEATEN PATH! Go
>at least 3 mls in
>and set up camp, then
>hunt out from there everyday.
>Most people wont put in
>the effort. Find a good
>vantage pt. and glass around
>timber line, the bigger bucks
>will be up high. I
>drew a tag for unit
>34 rifle in Nov. Down
>load the New Mexico Pocket
>ranger on your phone.
>
>Good Luck !

I'll keep this in mind, thank you! Good luck in 34 that will be a tough hunt as well.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom