NM Urraca Wildlife Area

silasd

Has anyone hunted this area? I drew a cow tag and would be interested to know some info before I go up scouting next month. Appreciate any info anyone might have to share. Thanks.

Have had a cow tag there in the past, saw nothing but Bulls... but that's how it goes sometimes. # 1 you need horses to get up high, you can hope to catch one down in the sage but not very likely. They will leave the sage before light and head up... if you don't have horses try hiking up to the benches in the dark and catch them before they get to high.
Jack

Sage flats down by the Hwy 522 then very steep country all the way to the upper eastern border. A lot of alfalfa fields across on west side of 522, northern and eastern boundary are RCCLA private lands. Generally a lot of folks wait for the herds to cross back from feeding in the alfalfa fields but this is hit n miss depending on pressure and traffic. I live in Questa and have never applied for this area, not what you'd typically think of as a "wildlife area" but Good luck, i have seen plenty of animals come out of this area.

Thanks! We're going to go up to scout next weekend. I had horses lined up, but it doesn't look like they'll pan out, so I'll be hoofing it. Looks like I'll be getting up early to hike in!

Thanks! I'd heard the fields had been fenced off. We'll be up there scouting next weekend, so we'll know for sure. Appreciate the info!

Save your time, scouting this early does no good for a late cow hunt. There is only one road so no need to come look around. Just show up the day before the hunt. If there is snow the elk will come down if not hiking up to the top for a COW and packing it out on you back is for the birds. Lol.

We'll, I respect your opinion, but I see it differently. I don't know the area, so doing a terrain walk now saves me time during the hunt. And tells me what I'm in for, too. As for going g deep, I've got five days to get meat for my family, so I'll do what I have to.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom