Non-Premier Archery NR Elk or Deer areas?

MAT

I just found out I have a work conference in Phoenix this Sept 14-17 which ruins my plans to draw for a limited CO elk tag. AZ is too far of a drive so I've never considered it before, but I'm looking at hunting opportunities as long as I'm there and the transportation is free! The regs are a nightmare to figure out, but are there ANY archery draw opportunities for elk (or deer) for a non-resident with no points (I applied for a PP in 2002 but I think that might be gone by now? I also had a hunter safety class). Looking for any legal bull opportunities (not trophy) somewhere remote if possible for a solo hunter.

It doesn't look like the odds are all that good to draw in any unit but I haven't dug deep yet. I just need to know if the units with better draw odds are worth it, and if I can get there with a rental vehicle. Might consider a cow tag in a very good unit too if that is possible. Or any good mule deer hunts in Sept? Note I hunt with a recurve I need a bit more cover than most of you guys.

PM me if you wish, I'm not out to locate any honey holes just need to know if it's worth looking into the AZ draw this one time.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-05-15 AT 02:34PM (MST)[p]OTC archery deer will end Sep 11, so if you come early you could catch the tail end. You can apply for an early archery elk hunt but have just as good a chance of winning the Powerball as you will be in the random draw along with thousands of others.

Some of those units have draw odds around 25%, are you saying these are impossible to draw, or not worth it?

My buddy from CA called me one summer and told me he wanted to start applying for elk in AZ. I told him what units to apply for. He drew a premier unit as a non-resident with zero points. Someone has to draw. It may be a longshot, but if you are willing to part with the license fee, I'd do it.

>My buddy from CA called me
>one summer and told me
>he wanted to start applying
>for elk in AZ.
>I told him what units
>to apply for. He
>drew a premier unit as
>a non-resident with zero points.
> Someone has to draw.
> It may be a
>longshot, but if you are
>willing to part with the
>license fee, I'd do it.
>

This is not possible for the premium elk hunts in AZ. This is because the 10% non-resident cap is all used up in the 20% Bonus Point Pass by max or near max point holders.

In Arizona, under the current system, I would agree that the PREMIUM archery tags would NOT be available to one with few points.

However that being said, I personally know several NR archers who have drawn a Unit 6A archery bull tags with few if any points.

Lots of tags, lots of hunters though if you draw. Plenty of bulls too for those willing to work hard and spend the time.

FYI You DON'T lose a Hunter Ed bonus point, but any other bonus points earned are lost after 5 years of non-application.

Good luck!

Don Martin
Volunteer Chief Instructor
Hunter Education
Region 3

MAT - 19A is the only early archery bull tag that has a 26% draw statistic in the regs. That's a little misleading, in that the percentage is calculated on all 1st & 2nd choice applications and only 3 non-res tags are available which will probably go in the bonus round to applicants with more points than you. Should a tag make into the 1-2 pass, every applicant gets a random number drawn for each point they have, giving a guy with zero points very little chance to draw.

Could you draw an early archery tag? Sure, but highly unlikely. Your odds are much better for a late hunt.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom