Non-Res Colorado Experience

Muleys24Seven

I am a non-resident from Idaho and 2011 will be my first year hunting bucks in Colorado. I've been wanting to hunt mule deer in Colorado for a while now and can't wait for this coming fall and the seasons to come.

Would like to hear stories and pics of your first non-resident Colorado hunting experience...good or bad.

Beware of deer hunting in OTC elk units! Although unlimited number of elk hunters brings lots of $ to the Colo economy the quality of experience and number of decent bulls in these units are often lacking! Our deer herds are also a fraction of what they were several years ago due to predation, CWD, and severe winters. I hate to chase you off because Colo is such a gorgeous state to hunt but just be aware that you may have to work harder than normal to find a decent buck.

My first year was by far my worst. I saw alot of deer but very few bucks let alone good bucks. That has slowly changed as ive got to know the unit over the years and now in that same unit our party usually takes some nice bucks and we have chances at good bucks about every year. So I guess I would say unless your packin points for a great unit/season be prepared to pay your dues in order to have succes on solid bucks. But there is always a chance to harvest a great buck as that first year although didnt see hardly any bucks my freind did score on book typical, thats kept us going back ever since.

I hunted 421 during the third season a few years ago. I saw very few deer and not a single buck.

>I am a non-resident from Idaho
>and 2011 will be my
>first year hunting bucks in
>Colorado. I've been wanting to
>hunt mule deer in Colorado
>for a while now and
>can't wait for this coming
>fall and the seasons to
>come.
>
>Would like to hear stories and
>pics of your first non-resident
>Colorado hunting experience...good or bad.
>

+1.

Absolutely beautiful country. After waiting 5 years to draw a third season tag my expectations grew higher and higher, then the reality of competing with OTC elk hunters to fill my coveted deer tag set in!

Can't wait to hunt CO again, waiting for a 4th season tag.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-24-11 AT 09:43PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Feb-24-11 AT 09:41?PM (MST)

1st year we did well during 3rd season. Opening morning we seen a very nice buck but, over the next few days we seen a number of smaller bucks. Then on Thursday night just as the sun was setting I found this guy.

WallHuntingetc057.jpg

My hunting partner connected on a decent buck the next morning.

The last time we were there we went 2 for 3 on 4x4's. Again, with one nicer than the other.

IM002534.jpg

IM002542.jpg

Haven't been back in 3 years due to the reduction of permits, which caused the points needed to draw to go up.

Smokepole

hunted second season deer on public land unit 12 & will NEVER do it again. I felt like I was hunting in a pumpkin patch with all the orange hats. Crazy how many hunters were out there. Was thinking it was going to be some great wilderness hunt in the wide open wild west, WRONG! People on top of people. Save your money & plan a hunt on private ranch with guides. My advise.

I have archery deer hunted a couple of times in OTC elk units and haven't had a seconds trouble with overcrowding. In fact, on one of the hunts I saw decent bulls daily and one really nice 340ish bull. Amazingly, I never saw another hunter until I got back to the main trail.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom