Non res combo hunt info

Dirtymule

Hi everyone first time poster here, I'm looking to do my first out of state hunt next year and looking for some suggestions. I'm going to be hunting between Lima and Dillon on a combo hunt if I draw which in the past it shouldn't be a problem I archery and rifle hunt if I do the rifle it would be in November towards the end of the season some of my questions are which is better archery or rifle ? What is the hunting pressure like around that area. Any other info would be much appreciated

I live in Dillon. Not to be discouraging, but pressure is high on public land during both archery and rifle season. Elk are quick to head to private ground in some areas, even during archery season. Good mule deer are few and far between in general tag districts. Public land spots for whitetails are few. That said you can get it done with either weapon. Just don't expect a trophy, and be prepared to hike and hunt hard and smart if you want success. It took me 14 days to kill a public land bull this year, 8 days last year, and have never seen a shooter muley on public land in a general district here (but then again I don't target muleys here).

Thanks for the feedback I may have some permission to hunt / trespass through some private property but I don't want rely on just that I'm not looking for trophys just an opportunity we have good equipment and like to get after it looking to hunt between 10-13 days would it be worth it to buy a wolf tag ? I've also thought about buying an bear tag and heading up in the spring for kind of a scouting trip to learn the area and have a chance at a bear any thoughts would be much appreciated

You can't shoot a wolf if you if you don't buy a tag, so why not? It will almost certainly go unused but you never know. I bought a lion tag for years and never saw one, but then I spotted one on a kill during bow season and stalked to within 10 yards, so you never know...

Spring bear is probably the best quality public land hunt you can have in MT. Yes to it and yes to using it for learning the area. Absolutely great idea.

Thanks for all the info I've definitely heard that it can be a challenging hunt and most of the elk hang out on private property most of the hunting season. I've also been told that archery season has the best chance at harvesting elk so I've been just trying to decide what season to hunt. If I do a spring bear hunt do you have any suggestions on best time to come up or the bear quality and numbers ? Thanks for all the replys it's been great help

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom