Non-resident AZ Supplemental class January 3, 2015

DonMartin

Very Active Member
For those non-residents who are looking to get a permanent bonus point to help your odds in drawing an Arizona big game tag, the Kingman team will be holding the one-day class on Saturday, January 3, 2015 here in Kingman (100 miles south of Las Vegas in northwest Arizona).

Only requirement is that you must have taken hunter ed in your home state (or any state) since 1980 and you provide a copy of your card to Dave Williams at AZ G&F. Any one 10 years or older can take this class!

Williams can reached to sign up for the class at 623-236-7434. FAX your cards to him at 623-236-7903.

Class will start at 7 a.m. (Arizona time) and will end about 6 p.m.

We will do a "working lunch" to try and get folks out early.

Take this class and graduate--and almost all do--and you'll walk out with a permanent bonus point that WILL be added to your accumulated points for the 2015 elk and antelope draws!

We will talk about how the AZ draw works in detail and explain to you the "new" way that NR's will see bonus points applied starting in 2016.

If you need a good, clean and reasonably priced motel to stay at while attending this class-either Friday or Saturday night, call the Silver Queen Motel at 928-757-4315 and tell them you are there for the AZ Hunter Ed class. You'll get a small discount off the regular room prices if you do. They are right next to the freeway and have a Denny's within 200 yards.

If you have any questions, call me at 928-303-9481 and/or send me an email at [email protected] or call Dave Williams.

Don Martin
Chief Instructor
AZ Hunter Education
Region 3

...and what if a hunter education class was taken circa 1964?
Where does that leave him in the process?
Thanks,
Zeke

Yes my hunters safety was taken in 1974 in California. What do we have to do to get a bonus point?

I took my first Hunters Safety Course in 1954 and to get the AZ Bonus Point would not be worth the effort at this late stage of the game for me. Would still never be able to Hunt the STRIP.

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

Thanks for the heads up Don. I won't be able to make it down for that class, but I do need to get this done eventually. So I appreciate the updates on when these classes are available.

For those who took Hunter Ed in another state PRIOR to 1980, the rule does not allow them to take our 1 day class.

Remember, the reason you get to take the 1 day class is because you have already had hunter ed in another state in the last 34 years!!!!

NR's will get the same bonus point as do resident who take our 32 hour class!!!!

And remember, in 2016 there will be a new rule in effect that says those NR's in the top bonus point pool will only get up to 5% of the tags, with the other 5% being available in the general draw. That means those folks who have less than max points will have the opportunity to draw the premium deer, antelope and elk tags that they are now locked out of.

The point is permanent too. If I were a NR and wanted to seriously hunt in AZ, I'd make sure I got this class and that point!

Don Martin

Why the discrimination for those who took Hunter Education before 1980? What justification was used to establish the rule at 1980? Can it be appealed/challenged before your January class?

It's wrong you know and needs to be corrected.

Thank you.

>Why the discrimination for those who
>took Hunter Education before 1980?
> What justification was used
>to establish the rule at
>1980? Can it be appealed/challenged
>before your January class?
>
>It's wrong you know and needs
>to be corrected.
>
>Thank you.

It is definitely a reversal of the way things usually work when us old farts are grandfathered in on stuff. I guess under this deal they now think we're so old we don't know which end of the gun to point where, LOL!!!

I wonder why.
Age discrimination?
Hunter ed was no good back in the day?
Old dudes are killing too many people?
Huh,
Zeke

DonMartin,

Are there ever any classes for NR's offered in the Phoenix area? Is the class ever offered out of Arizona?

copple2

The AZ class isn't about "safety", it covers the rules in AZ. To be able to even have this one day, NR only class come about concessions had to be made. Thus the requirement that a participant have hunter ed from another state within a reasonable amount of time. 30 years is plenty reasonable.

Wapiti Bob:

I think you are right. My gosh 34 years???

By the way, even though I am a Chief Instructor, I didn't have any input on that rule, (way above my pay grade) but I think it is fair.

And Bob is right, this class has little about hunter safety--yes there is some-- but that's why you have to have had Hunter Ed in your home state--cause it is believed you are aware of the tenets of safety as far as hunter education is concerned.

This class is all class room, not shooting or outdoor activities. It is mostly about Arizona rules, regulations and how the Bonus Point Draw is really done!

I'm not aware of any other places where this kind of class is held in Arizona. I know other teams in AZ were certified to do them, just not sure if they are.

I would check with the web site or call AZGFD's Dave Williams at the number above to see if other classes are available.

You all have the option of taking the on line class and then coming out to do a field day.

However I don't think there is any question that as far as information on the above subjects are concerned, you'll get a heck of a lot more in our class than you ever will on the online class.

Don Martin

Don,

How many of these a year do you plan on doing? I just checked Airfare and with the short notice and holiday the rates are crazy......

Thanks

Don

My team is doing two this year--just like always.

We always do one on the first Saturday of January, for those those who need the extra point for elk and antelope AND we do one, usually in the first week of April, to accommodate those who want a point for the deer/sheep draws.

Don Martin
Chief Instructor
Hunter Education
Region 3
928-303-9481

So I guess to qualify I need to take a online class here in Utah before that date. I have a 12 year old daughter that want to take hunter safety . I guess I can take the class with her.

Big John T: That's a great idea! Then after you both graduate from the Utah class, bring her down with you to take our 1 day class.

Get her started applying for Arizona's YOUTH big game tags!--not called junior's tags anymore!

Arizona may the most YOUTH friendly state. We charge just $5 for a Non-Resident COMBINATION Arizona hunting a fishing license.

We have youth deer, javelina, turkey and antlerless elk tags.

Plus you can start applying them for other big game tags like sheep and/or they can accumulate bonus points for future hunts.

I think the class is well worth your time and effort.

Don Martin
Chief Instructor
Hunter Education
Region 3

I was notified today that the January 3, 2015 class is FULL!

Next class will be in early April, exact date TBD..

Don Martin
Arizona Hunter Education
Region 3

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom