non resident wants leftover tag

sigfour

So this year I decided to finally put my father and I in for wyoming speed goat after years of wanting to. After doing some research our first choice was unit 27, which we didnt think we would draw on our first year putting in, so our remaining choices we ones with leftover tags from the years before; unit 7 then 6 and 5. I felt good that we would draw unit 7 and be hunting outta Newcastle this October, probably in the walk in area. Well wouldnt you know it... no tags drawn. Now I am wondering what units that have leftover tags should we try for. We would like to hunt public land, but if drawn would consider a tresspass fee if resonable. It seems there are red stars on everything leftover, meaning difficult public access. Any advice on our next choice ? Any help before july 6th would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

-Sig
Find 'em. Learn 'em. Shoot 'em. Eat 'em.

If I was in your shoes, I'd be looking at 29 right below 27. It has a decent amount of public land and you could also inquire about ranchers with an access fee. Incidentally, all the tags go up for sale on a first come-first served basis with no draw involved. Unit 27 generally takes a PP to insure a tag, but 7 usually has some leftover tags. The latter is the unit I told several different parties to apply for and I haven't heard back from any of them as to whether they drew it or not.

Thanks Topgun ! As a non resident just trying to hunt antelope in wyoming but needing help just applying for the opportunity, I found all of your posts, like I am sure many others have, extremely helpful. Thanks for your unselfish attitude and your willingness to help strangers with your knowledge. Your welcome at my camp anytime.

-Sig

This year was pretty strange to say the least, especially in Antelope area 7. Last year we drew 3 type 1 and 3 type 6 tags and there were a bunch of leftover tags. I don't think they ever sold out completely. This year we figured we would put in for the draw and then buy leftover tags once we drew our tags. I guess we were lucky to draw our tags. The quota went way down and the first choice applicants went way up and there are no leftover tags at all for area 7. We're checking to see if we can get leftover tags in another area close by. Don't know why the quotas were reduced so much.

I suggested unit 7 to "a few newbies to antelope hunting" on several websites figuring it was a shoein for a tag with plenty of public land and walkin acreage. I wondered what the deal was when I saw there were no leftover licenses in the unit this year. Last year there appeared to be plenty of goats throughout the area after the season was over. I just went in the odds for 2010 and 2011 on the F&G website and the tags in the random draw with no PPs went from 210 down to 88 this year. The area did not have any winterkill to the best of my knowledge, so I'd like to know what the F&G biologist's reason was for the drastic tag reduction.

That seems to be the story with a few units this year. Applicants and odds swayed dramatically. Strange, makes it tough to plan year to year when the odds are always changing.

That's for sure and even though the PP system has only been in effect for five years there already seems to be some point creep in some units for the various species.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom