Nonresident Unit Recommendation

Jmide

Hi, Some friends and I are looking to apply for an elk hunt this upcoming season. We have all hunted elk before, but are still relatively new to the sport. We are in good shape and not afraid of rugged terrain. We are wondering if anyone could point us towards some units that might be easier to draw but still hold a decent number of elk. We don't need to shoot a 350" bull to be happy. Also, we would prefer a rifle hunt. But, not opposed to bow or muzzleloader if it provides better opportunity. Any advice anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-08-17 AT 03:37PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jan-08-17 AT 03:36?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Jan-08-17 AT 03:35?PM (MST)

Are you guys trying to apply as a group or individually?
How many people?

One thing I would recommend is looking into each unit and see how many tags nonresidents are allocated.

Lets say you have 6 friends in your group (attached) but the unit only gives 5 NR tags, then you're shooting yourself in the foot.

Another thing I'd recommend is always shoot for the moon with your number 1 choice.
Drawing as a NR is hard enough, but if you do draw... it would be sweet to get something killer like 16D. Oh and there are no elk in 16D ;)

Then taper down with your second and third pick using higher draw % units.

There will be 3 of us. I appreciate your advice. I will do some digging into different units draw percentages etc.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom