Northern Idaho Whitetail Hunting

L

lucaar

I will be heading to Couer D? Alene in November for a few weeks to do some work for my friend's family. I thought it would be a a very good excuse to hunt whitetails for the first time. Would anyone be willing to give me any advice on where to go? Are there any public lands in the northern part of the state that hold good number of deer? I am willing to go as far north as I need to go. Any input or advice would be very much appreciated.

no need to head far north. good hunting right from cd'a. hit wolf lodge. cant really go wrong there. backside of hayden lake, signal point out of post falls just to name a few. all places are national forest ground.

Madmoose-

Thanks for the info. If I can ever return the favor, let me know. I live in central Utah. All I have ever hunted is mule deer so I am not exactly sure what to expect or what the best way to hunt whitetail is. Any pointers or advice? Thanks again!

Hey First off i am jealous you are going to CDA that is were i am from and lived most of my life until i moved to price utah, in the last two years my dad has killed a 171 and a 165 buck in north idaho, i killed decent 4 points both years, north idaho is amazing and you will love it, pm me if your interested in getting some good hotspots and what to expect.

Later

Andy

personally i just do alot of still hunting... even though i have treestands havent used them yet. alot of folks use them. i have made temp. ground blinds out of branches and such in spots that were heavy with traffic, and that has been fruitful.logging is prevelant in this country, so the woods can be a patchwork of clearcuts and timber patches. pushing patches can be productive. really just about anyway you want to hunt them. snow helps you figure things out.

havent been out as much as usual.. closing on a house tomorrow, so the wife and i have been packing etc. elk hunt down in 37 was a bust.. terrible time. but i'll make up for it this coming month... hopefully. :)

Madmoose-

Kind of a funny question for you. I am from Utah and am used to shooting at realatively long distances hunting Muleys. Right now I have my rifle sighted in so I can shoot out to 300 yards withought having to hold high (3" high at 100 yards, 3.5" low at 300 yards). What do you think is the average shot distance in that area. I understand it is heavily timbered so my guess is that we won't be shooting very far. I just want to make sure my rifle is ready for the type of shots I will be taking. Thanks for all your help.

dont see any problem.. i sight in around 2.5 to 3 inches high also.. even though it is thick you can deff. shoot long distances in this country. due to the geography and logging cut and thinned areas.. long shots are not uncommon. dont mees with your set up.

season has been going slow for me. wife and i just closed on a house a few days ago so were in the process of packing and moving.. but only 10 mi. away. which is nice. got 10 acres this time, pretty jacked about that..

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom