Northern RAC

elkfromabove

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Nov-27-19 AT 12:34PM (MST)[p]Disclaimers:
I'm giving you my update on the Northern RAC based on my meager notes and my memory, but if any of you were there, you're more than welcome to make corrections on the meeting agenda action item discussions if need be.

Also, I'm not going to give you my opinion on this thread about the issues discussed, so please don't ask! Go to my thread about the Statewide Deer Plan or the one on the CR (Central Region) RAC if you want that. I simply don't have time (or interest) to respond to every post on every thread where my name or opinion comes up!

Here it is:

#5: Statewide Mule Deer Management Plan:
- Amendment - Change the wording on the issue of importing deer parts from other states with CWD from "skull plate" to "skull" in order to allow European mounts. (At least that's the way I think it was.) In any case, it passed unanimously.
- Amendment - Change the late LE Muzzy hunts to HAMS hunts. (Handgun, archery, muzzleloader, shotgun) - passed 7 to 2
- Amendment - Change the number of tags on the late LE Muzzy/HAMS hunts based on the buck to doe ratio of the previous year, not the 3 year average. - passed unanimous.
- Remainder of plan as presented - passed unanimous.
There was also some discussion about muzzys not being primitive weapons anymore and thus a discussion of removing scopes, but there was no motion made.

#6: Bucks, Bulls, OIAL seasons:
- Amendment regarding the wording of the requirement to submit the skulls for CWD detection from "skulls" to "brain matter". (See amendment above.) - passed unanimous.
(I'm not sure how the 2 amendments regarding CWD were actually worded, but the idea was to make the skulls/skull plates available for mounting.)
- Amendment - Change the late muzzy hunts to HAMS hunts - passed 10 to 1 with 1 abstention. (We had some RAC members show up late.)
- Remainder of proposal as presented - passed unanimous

#7: CWMU & Landowner permits:
- Amendment denying one CWMU a buck tag based on the addition of some land below a cliff that hunters would have a hard time recovering a deer from. (It was complicated.) - passed unanimous
- Remainder of proposal as presented - passed unanimous.

#8: Rule amendments to address point creep etc.:
There was a lot of discussion regarding nearly all of the separate proposals, but there ended up being only one amendment (As I recall.).
- Amendment - At least 1 permit on the Paunsaugunt and Henry Mtn deer hunt to be a youth permit. - Passed 8 to 3.
- Remainder of proposals as presented - passed unanimous

#9: Big Game Application Timeline (Not an action item)
Lots of questions and discussion, but of course no vote.

All in all it was a very informative (and well behaved) meeting. If I missed anything or misunderstood anything, feel free to correct me. Otherwise, I'm done with this thread. But feel free to talk amongst yourselves if you so desire.

The Northern end of our state is a tough one.
Combine harsh winter kills and most of it is riddled with numerous CWMU's, it's a whole different beast.

Thank for the update!?

Im not sure I ever understood how we got to scopes in muzzy to start. And now with all the LR muzzy, how we haven't removed them.

As to the youth tags. There should be ZERO. There should only be TAGS, no points, straight up lotto.

From the party of HUNTIN, FISHIN, PUBLIC LAND.

>
>Im not sure I ever understood
>how we got to scopes
>in muzzy to start.
>And now with all the
>LR muzzy, how we haven't
>removed them.
>
>As to the youth tags.
>There should be ZERO.
>There should only be TAGS,
>no points, straight up lotto.
>
>
>
>From the party of HUNTIN, FISHIN,
>PUBLIC LAND.

So hoss?

You Shoot a Long Range Rifle?

Or a Long Range Bow?

People Kill Me When they HARP on One Weapon!

(((Gotta RAZZ Ya Buddy!:D)))

I know so many people in so many places
They make allot of money but they got sad faces

It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

I attended and spoke.
I thought the purpose of the HAMS was to make the late muzzy hunt, if approved, to be a primitive hunt. (No scopes)
I'm all for creating more opportunity but believe there is a right and a wrong time to do it.
Even Covy acknowledged our deer herds have drastically dropped. So I believe it's the wrong time to create more opportunity (late season muzzy hunts) when our herds are declining.
If or when our populations are increasing....then bring the idea back to the table.

I still think it's possible to find a way to release tag recommendations before the draw ends so hunters can make better choices while applying.
Last year the tag recommendations came out within a week of the end of the draw.

The state needs to either find a better way to count populations or they aren't being honest.

The deer in northern Utah have had their a$$es kicked for the last two winters. Something needs to be done.

I plan on attending the wildlife board meeting this Thursday although due to working Wednesday night, I won't have much sleep.

If the state wants to get serious about fixing point creep since they've made it an agenda item, put the 200 expo tags back in the state draw.

"Wildlife and its habitat cannot speak. So
we must and we will."
Theadore Roosevelt

I brought up the bad winter we had in northern Utah this spring and how it definitely effected the herd in a bad way, there were a lot of know it-all?s, calling it a designer winter,just average winterkill, wish they were right !!!!

Make the archery only area of the wasatch front it's own hunt. Matter of fact make 2 hunts out of it. 1 early season, and 1- late season. You just increased opportunity, helped with point creep and made more revenue. Some pretty simple ways to help with opportunity and creep. Just saying, not rocket science boys and girls.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom