Nosler Long Range Accubond. Anyone?

Coloradoboy

Very Active Member
Hey guys,
Looking for a little first hand knowledge on the new Nosler LRA. I've been a religious berger shooter the past few years and love the accuracy i get with them along with the high BC and retained terminal velocity. I currently shoot the 185 grain Berger VLD out of my 300Rum and have had some great results along with some absolute nightmares. For instance, on a bull three years ago I had a very basic 280 yard shot. Instead of taking the bull high shoulder I sent it behind his shoulder. Needless to say the bull proceeded on and I found myself having to shoot him 3 more times.. 2 two the lungs and 1 to the neck. I know good and well that elk are extremely tough animals but I felt a good bonded bullet that had good weight retention would of done better for me. Most, if not all the animals I've shot or have seen shot with the bergers that did not drop immediately and proceeded to move did not leave a single drop of blood and Im truly not a fan of trying to recover animals in the dark without a blood trail. I've shot the nosler accubonds out my other rifles; 270, 25-06, 280AI etc and have had great results out to 400-500 yards Im just not sure about their performance past that point. I would appreciate any advice, pros and cons, or other alternatives for a solid long range hunting bullet.

Coloradoboy

Oh ...A bit of this has been going on in the gun's,bow,shooting forum. I have been trying my best to stay out of the fight.
But your assumption are right when it comes to Bergers on large big boned game.
I have been trying to get some Nosler long ranger bullets (LR). But for now I am sticking with my Barnes. I am shooting a fast 3600 fps 30 caliber long range rifle. My daughter took a cow elk at 780 yards with it this year.Our families longest kill shot by the way . A perfect broad side shot threw both lungs . It walked twenty yards forward and fell over.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-02-13 AT 11:04AM (MST)[p]
Load the 190 ALR'S identical to your Bergers. My 7STW went from .750" @200 with 180 Bergers to .6" with the 175 ALR's. Most of the early reports I read were shooting into wet phone books and such. Starting to see some real game kills now.

Thanks guys. I think I'll try out the Nosler LRA and perhaps the barnes tsx this winter and spring. I just have a hard time wanting to load up a pile of rounds and shoot, shoot, shoot. RL25 is hard to come by now :( any one else have any good powder suggestions for the 300 RUM?

Coloradoboy

I just went from RL 22 to Retumbo. The Extreme powder is suppose to be more consistent . Even going from where I live 107 in the summer. To up on the mountain temps of 40 at night and highs of 70.
Most of us here have been shooting the Barnes ttsx not the old tsx. I have a box of Barnes 200 gr LRX bullets. Barnes answer to the other company's long range bullets. Haven't loaded any up yet to try.I hear from others they have been all over the place. I would also like to load up some of the Nosler LR's and see how they group. I have been shooting a 168 gr Barnes ttsx.But want to go up in bullet weight and bc to help out with the wind.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-02-13 AT 03:08PM (MST)[p]I've been using Retumbo but have tried the RL-22 and it's OK too I guess.
I've used the Barnes TTSX and the 200 AB (.588 BC) with great results.
I can't possibly see a reason why the new LR accubonds wouldn't be a great bullet!
My 270WSM will soon be trying the 150LR AB. A buddy picked up 4 boxes for me.

Zeke

I took 2 bucks this year one at 285 yards one at 440 and both bullets passed through and dropped the animals in their tracks I shot the 285 quartering away went in behind the shoulder out the front shoulder. The buck at 440 was quartering towards me and the bullet went in between the neck and front shoulder and out the back just behind the vitals both had large exit holes and I was very happy with the groups they produced.
Shooting a .280ack 150gr Nosler Accubond LR 3100fps.
I also had mixed results with the Berger bullets I shot one buck broadside at around 100yrds behind the shoulder and had 2 exit wounds one out the neck one out the opposite side of the guts. Too explosive for me too feel comfortable with anymore but boy do they look good on paper.

Has anyone even seen any 30 cal Nosler LRAB's out there. I had a custom 300 RUM completed earlier this year and was unable to find the components. I've since managed to locate some Retumbo, Nosler Brass, and a 1000 Fed GM primers. The LRAB's are the missing piece of my puzzle...

LAST EDITED ON Dec-06-13 AT 08:30AM (MST)[p]Triple-BB,
I think they make a couple different weights. What do you want and I'll keep my eyes open.
I also have a buddy who hits every gun shop from western Nevada to eastern Kansas. I'm sure he'd help out too. He's the guy who found my .277 LR AB bullets for me.
Zeke

Me too D-punch!
I have yet to actually see them with my own eyes on any store shelves. I had a buddy find 4 boxes for me but I don't have them in my hand yet.
They've been so rare (and new) that most who want them haven't been able to get them. I suspect it will be after next hunting season before we have some results and opinions.
My suspicion is they'll work just about as advertised.
Zeke

I cant help you with the Noslers but I switched to the 175 Barnes LRX's and have been very pleased.
The LRX's have all the normal Barnes good, (or bad), qualities but with a little better BC.
My 300WM shoots them MOA or better.
I lung shot a management buck on the Henrys last year at a little over 400 yds and he took about 5 steps.

I've got a extra box, 100 ct., of 150 gr LR .277's if anybody wants to give them a go.

I could push them up to and bit over 3200 FPS with my old WSM but nothing i tried got consistently tight groups.

I think they are about $50. a box, plus shipping...

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I worked up a load for the 210 ALR in my .300 RUM over the summer. Took a mule deer at 364 yards. Broadside shot, golf ball size entry, about the same size exit. Real dead deer. Shot a bull at about 60 yards. No problems with close range impacts either it seems. I prefer the 210 ALR over the Bergers I've used. Pretty unhappy with them in the RUM. mtmuley

I also shoot the 300rum. I loaded up some shells with 91.5 grains of retumbo and the 200 grain accubond. Killed my deer and my elk this year with no problems!

The long range version is going to perform the same on game as the standard accubond. so if you like the old ones you'd like the new ones.

Question is will they expand enough for the ultra long range shooters? I have my doubts. we're back to the quest for the perfect bullet at any velocity and it will never exist.

Stay thirsty my friends

Supposedly the minumun velocity to expand reliably is 1300fps for the LR compared to 1800fps for the regular AB. That pushed the max range out there a long ways!

Depending on the cartridge, the difference will allow a guy to shoot at ranges at which most of us have no business shooting.

I can't wait to try them. However, my impact velocities will never fall below 1300fps since my shots will be at more "conservative" ranges.

Good luck to us all,
Zeke

LAST EDITED ON Dec-09-13 AT 01:12PM (MST)[p]
I don't shoot a 300 but I do shoot a 7 rum. With the higher velocity speed my gun was producing, the Berger hunting bullets were not doing the trick. Too many animals walking away. No bueno. I emailed Berger about the issues where in, I was sent some target bullets to test out. The metal jacket is thicker on the target rounds so supposedly at higher velocities it should be more effective. I have yet to test them out to see what they would do. Needless to say, I'm a little Leary. I have however set up some loads with the nosler lra 168. I would post m/v and precise accuracy, but knowing the attitude of some of the guys here, I'll just say that with a 34 inch barrel, I have these bullets moving at speeds that are just unheard of. The accuracy is exceptional. At 1050 yards the load I'm using put a 500 lb hog down in his tracks. The entry was your basic bullet hole at the shoulder, the bullet lodged in the thick armor shoulder on the opposite side after shattering both front shoulder blades. Combine with the accuracy and damage i witnessed out to 1000, I'm pretty much sold on the nosler bullets. I just see no reason to put more time and money into the burgers if there's a chance a buck of a lifetime may just walk away from me after being shot. This is my two cents. Hope it can be useful.
"I've hunted almost every day of my life, The rest
have been wasted"

Zeke, if you like the original Accubond, stay with it. I'm going back to it after one year of the 210 ALR. I'll be honest, my longest shot on game has been 703 yards. Longer than most here I bet. The 210 ALR worked for me this year, I just think the original does everything I need it to. mtmuley

Trophymuley,
Why did you go with the 168 instead of the 175? I would think the additional energy, higher SD and higher BC would be welcomed.

I have a box of 175's for my 7mm Dakota but havent had a chance to shoot them yet.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-16-13 AT 12:12PM (MST)[p]Might I add I am no expert with these bullets.I Have played around with the 175s and have been trying to get a good load together for them but out of a 7 rum it just starts to get real finicky the longer your bullet gets. I managed to get a good load together with the 168 that's accurate and surprisingly fast. The overall data I've gained from reloading just comes in better with the 168 at the time being. I have only seen one animal taken down with these and am still hoping for the best out of them. Time will tell. However if you are looking for a bullet that truly stays bonded the Remington sciroccos out of the box are not bad. I started off shooting them and had awesome results with roughly 5 inch 8 shot groupings out to 650. Get any farther than that and your accuracy starts to drop out.
Mtmuley feel free to come to the range with me any time.
"I've hunted almost every day of my life, The rest
have been wasted"

I keep hearing that they're a little fragile. I'm going to stick with the original accubonds and partitions in my rifles. Almost all of my shots are 400 or less and they're working for me. I'm really not shooting far enough to take advantage of the high bc.

Lots of DRTs and 1 shot kills with my current setups so I'm just going to stay happy with what I've got. Regular accubonds have been good to me for several years.

I guess if i was a 600+ yard hunter LRs might be great.

Lots of great input here guys.. I enjoy reading everyone's opinions. Now if i can just find some boxs of LRAB's I'll have some time to time to dink around with loads over the off season.

Coloradoboy

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom