Not in my forest, birdie.

B

BlackRock

Here?s another bird question. Which bird would you be LEAST likely to see when hunting in the mountains of the west? What are they?

124258.jpg

124254.jpg

124255.jpg

BlackRock

Retiring should be upfront-then at about age 40 get a job and pay back Social Security! Think about it!

I guess this is going to be a good website!
If you can take time to take in nature while out hunting that's GOOD

I have hunted with some people who could not see the forest for the trees

OK,

First Pic: Your standard old cedar fence post sittin' Meadow Lark

Second Pic: Some sub-specie of the only bird that can fly backwards (Hummers)

Third: A small flock of the good old Cedar Waxwing.

Least likey to see out hunting, I'd have to guess it is the Hummingbird.

I hope I didn't just prove that Hound Guys Know absolutely NOTHING about EVERYTHING.. KattKrapp

The first, obviously a meadowlark, but western or eastern? I am sure someone on here knows how to tell the difference...:)

The second, ruby-throated hummingbird.

The third, Cedar Waxwing.

No idea which would be least likely to be seen out west, probably the meadowlark, as it is a bird of the plains.

Nice photos, KattTraxx is correct but I think the humming bird is a "ruby throated". Depends where you live. You won't see ceder or bohemium (sp?) waxwings here in UT in the fall. In fact I haven't seen a waxwing here for years. I think the starlings finally forced them out by filling their nitche. Too bad to. Steve

Smalls, you beat me to the punch. We have lots and lots of meadowlarks here in the west. Steve

Here where I live you will see lots of Rubythroated hummingbirds and Cedar wax wings but I have never seen a meadow lark in the woods at least not on this side of the mountains. Steve

LAST EDITED ON Mar-25-04 AT 08:12PM (MST)[p]The most obvious thing that distinguishes the two species are the song but since this isn't a video clip....

Visual differences are more subtle, but the yellow of the throat extends higher up onto the face/cheek region in the Western Meadowlark. Hard to tell from the picture but I think its an Eastern Meadowlark.

OK--

Since the Meadow Lark is sitting on a juniper post--I would say that it is indeed a western. Ladd is right without an audio clip it is almost impossible to tell the two apart although there are some differences in the tail feathers.

The second bird is a calliope hummer and a male.

the third bird is the cedar waxwing as it has no gray or rufous under parts.

What is my prize........

Todd

Yes, the subtle differences indicate a Eastern Meadowlark, although song is the key. I've heard them sing in east Texas. So, it is the least likely to be in the west. Calliope hummingbirds and Cedar Waxwings are commom if not abundant in most mountain and valley areas of the west.

b Boy:
I'll think about the prize.....Why don't you throw out a fun question or two?
BR

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom