Not sure which to choose

4_Plesur

I'm torn which broadhead to go with. I'll be hunting elk and I'm looking for the one that will cause the most damage and be the most likely to leave the bloodiest trail.
I think these are all good broadheads because of what I've heard from people on forums like these. They all fly really well, thunderhead seems like it's a little more maintenance, but fly's nice.
Obvisouly shot placement is the most important! Keeping that in mind, I'm not sure which broadhead is best for elk.

I really like the crossfire and the wac-em BUT it seems like the cutting diameter is so small. As for the thunderhead, I'm not sure - some questions about the flight of the arrow. Magnus Stinger I like but it doesn't seem to be real popular with elk (could be wrong). The goldtip, I killed a nice buck a couple of years ago - it did it's job, but the broadhead seems like it's fading out. I'm not sure if gold tip still makes broadheads.

I hate having a 4 or 5 different broadheads of each kind. I would like to find one and stick with it for a couple of years. Although there is another post about how many kills with different broadheads and it seems like there are many who keep switching different broadheads.

4678a6af1e57cb14.jpg

Crossfire
Thunderhead
Wac-Em
Mangnus Stinger 4 blade
Gold tip expandable

those magnus stingers would be at the front of my list for elk out to 30 yards. any farther and they might plane a bit especially if there is some breeze. if you cant get within 30 yds. of a rutting elk then go home. that said, i will shoot the new piston point mechanical this year. they look deadly.

I have taken 3 elk with stingers from 32 to 52 yds and they fly with my field points to 70. Every one went less than 100 yds and fell over. Didn't even know they were shot. But, you do have to touch them up IMO so they are sharper than they come out of the box.

I use to use Thunderheads, and Grim Reapers on elk in previous years. Last year everyone in my hunting party switched to G5. All I can say is WOW. We took 9 elk in our party last year, all with G5 heads, mostly the Montec and a couple with the Tekan. These heads are awesome. I won't shoot anything else!

G5 FOR LIFE
www.g5outdoors.com

}}-SLIVER-->

You cannot really go wrong with any of those heads.
They are all proven.
Put 4 names in a hat and draw one.

John

I have not yet killed an elk with my bow but have seen evidence from some of the broadheads of your concern.

I shoot the thinderhead because of performance results I have seen. My Bro-in-law killed his elk at 55 yds with the thunderhead. Bull went 50 yards and left nearly a solid line of blood the entire way. As the bull splashed out of the water, the water was bright red from all the immediate gushing of blood from the bull. His deer he killed this January went fifty yards and once again results were a very good solid blood trail.

I have also seen the wac' ems at work with some of our clients, and my outfitter no longer allows hunters to use this broadhead, and puts that in his contracts when he books a bow hunt. We have had three hunters that had complete pass throughs with the wac'ems right in the sweet spot and only one deer was recovered. All three shots we found a total of ten or twelve blood spots. Spent two days looking for each of the deer. Clients did not like performance. They have not worked for us but I have hears several people swear by the wac'ems.

I would suggest the crossfire or the wac em.
I used the thunderheads on an elk last year and had no blood trail on a low chest hit at 35 yards, quartering away and caught the cow right behind the shoulder. There was a pool of frothy blood 25 yards out from where she was hit because she coughed it up, but only 3 drops of blood after that.
I will be using montecs this year.

I am also going to be hunting elk and am looking for a good broadhead to shoot. I am leaning towards the Rage 2-blade. With the blades deployed from the rear, it is a fail free design. Plus I have heard that with the blades expanded to 2" your blood trail is going to be amazing. Good luck on your hunt!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom