NR 7PTS MUZZ HUNT FOR '13?

adubs

I realize it's a little early to be talking about applications for next year but I'm planning on using my points in Colorado next year and will have 7 pts going into the draw and would prefer a muzzleloader hunt. I will be hunting with my two brothers and father (he will be 65). We've hunted several states with archery mainly and a couple rifle hunts in New Mexico, Colorado OTC, and Utah last year. We also realize its Colorado and that 7 pts isn't going to get us many looks at 350+ bulls but would like to have a realistic chance at 300-320ish class bulls, with low hunter numbers if possible, and would prefer something other than sheep country!

We are seasoned DIY guys and don't mind putting in plenty of time and effort so I'm not trying to do all internet scouting, but general units to consider would be helpful.

Thanks,

Adubs

Here is the place to start:

http://monstermuleys.hunterstrailhead.com/huntsearch.php?ST=CO

Put in "elk", click the nonresident button and put in your points. Stop there, do not enter unit or weapon. Then click submit.

That will give you a list of points required for all units. Go to the muzzy section and you can narrow it down a bit by looking for the units that require close to 7 points. Good luck

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Yes unit 40 is almost all private. Great bulls get taken out of unit 40 every year but people pay a high price for big bulls in unit 40.

Whatever u do-use your pts before you end up like me and my brother. We have 19 NR and continue to chase the pt creep game-can't hardly opt out at this time. If we had to do it over we'd be trying to just go every 3 or so years with other states/tags between. Good luck with your decision
Riggo

Riggo,

Our thoughts exactly! It wasn't even our plan to end up with 7 pts but it's just how things have worked out. Drew back to back years for rifle hunts in NM ('08-'09), Rifle tag last year in Utah for our dad, and Sprinkle in two archery hunts in MT/breaks this year and '10, and here we sit. I would rather have all of those hunts, over any 3 pp unit in Colorado so no regrets. We'll be in good shape at max points for our desired unit in Wyoming in two years and after '13 we'll start making things interesting for enough points in AZ/arhcery and then it all starts to cycle again...So we are ready to burn our CO points next year. We are thinking about taking CO off the list of apps for elk, and just applying for deer/sheep. Just doesn't seem to make a lot of sense to hunt with the army of hunters every 2-3 yrs in colorado for what we would consider to be average bulls...Great state for the OTC guy (which we were from '98-'07) but we (myself and two brothers) started building points a few years ago in every state we can for elk, deer, sheep, and speed goats. It's over 30 seperate hunts/PP we apply for each year so eventually we'll just be able to start picking the hunts/states we want to to go and I'm not sure CO is going to be a place we'll want to burn our 1 hunt a year on, every 2-3 years...sad to think of it that way but as you stated point creep in CO will make it nearly impossible for us to draw unti 2 or something of similar quality. Too many other great hunts out west for "big" bulls that don't take 20 years to draw!!

Good luck and thanks for the tip, we're on the same page.

Adubs

66, 67, 49 are units to look into. There are some 330 type but youll have to put in effort cause these are higher country hunts.

we've looked closely at 49 but our father is in his mid 60's and that hunt will pretty much be impossible for him in that terrain at those elevations. What do you guys know about 21/30? I've heard there are some good bulls in those units, lower elevations,mainly oak brush, but have read that there are a lot of archery elk/muley hunters with the easier access...Just wondering if those units would be a decent hunt and if it's possible to get away from the crowds during muzzy season?

adubs

21/30 is an otc unit. Although muzz licenses are not otc but that is the same for all CO otc units. You would be wasting points on an area that you can hunt archery or 2 rifles season by just buying a tag. That being said it has the same quality as most other otc units.

You may consider unit 20 muzz. It takes about 6 NR points to draw. It is right next to Rocky Mountain National Park and there are good bulls in the park.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom