NR burned through Colorado PP's in 2022?

buckhunter64

When you look at the number of NR preference Point holders going into the 2022 draw on Colorado DOW Website, the highest point holder was 1 guy with 32 points. If you look at the post draw table to the right of it the highest NR point holder going in to the 2023 draw is 1 Guy with 28 points? And, if you look at each of the point totals from 32 points down to 12 points the number of tags drawn by NR in 2022 is astonishing. I have 9 points and only 950 people are ahead of me now? If this continues the top dog NR point holder will have 15 in a couple years? Am I reading this right? This is for deer

There's 1200 people with 10 points ahead of you. Plus all the rest. Sorry, man. I was just looking at it this morning and it caught my eye. The nonresident side is more top-heavy than the resident side.

Looking at the draw recap, just rough estimating without calculating exactly, but looks like there's roughly 20000 NR ahead of you in points after last year's draw.

Make sure you are not just looking at the number of people buying points, without applying. You also have to add in all the people with more points than you that actually applied. They break them out into two separate groups, and you have to add the numbers together at every point level to have the complete picture.
Bill

There’s only 10,000+ NR ahead of you that put in for only a PP.
617ADE11-A4FE-4756-9593-69F644E1990D.png

My opinion on Colorado is to learn a unit you can draw every year, or every other year, and go hunting. The point game is a joke. I never let my Colorado points get above 3. You can kill a big buck on almost any unit if you get the tag and it snows. Ultimately, snow kills big bucks, not the number of points it took to draw.

One reason there are fewer deer than elk applicants with high pts is because deer is all draw units rather than otc. There aren’t that many limited draw elk units in Colo compared to otc.

That’s one reason I’ve been lobbying to go to all draw for elk for so many years!

Converting to all limited hunters burn pts for just about every tag drawn rather than building pts and hunting otc every year.

The cpw would also finally be able to manage hunter and elk numbers.

My opinion on Colorado is to learn a unit you can draw every year, or every other year, and go hunting. The point game is a joke. I never let my Colorado points get above 3. You can kill a big buck on almost any unit if you get the tag and it snows. Ultimately, snow kills big bucks, not the number of points it took to draw.
Used to be the case… not so much anymore. I think you’re going to see a significant drop off in the number of quality of deer coming out of Colorado in the years to come with the season date structure and the amount of harvest there’s been. Not a lot bucks living past their 3rd birthdays anymore when it’s been open season practically the whole month of November these past couple years.

It’s really a shame what the CPW has done for the sake of selling more tags. The CWD excuse is pathetic!

Used to be the case… not so much anymore. I think you’re going to see a significant drop off in the number of quality of deer coming out of Colorado in the years to come with the season date structure and the amount of harvest there’s been. Not a lot bucks living past their 3rd birthdays anymore when it’s been open season practically the whole month of November these past couple years.
I live in a winter range corridor. I have seen a total of three bucks, and probably 100+ does. And I don’t think I’ve seen anything that I would call big all winter either. Much different times, the late hunts are a joke. Im a little worried what it’s gunna look like next year. The deer situation in my opinion is much worse then most think.

I live in a winter range corridor. I have seen a total of three bucks, and probably 100+ does. And I don’t think I’ve seen anything that I would call big all winter either. Much different times, the late hunts are a joke. Im a little worried what it’s gunna look like next year. The deer situation in my opinion is much worse then most think.
What part of the state ?

Well, I never planned to have 17 deer points. Every time I was ready to use them there was a massive winter kill. Wanted to archery hunt the Gunnison basin. Now that I have all those points I’d like to experience one good November rifle rut hunt and then I will never have those points again and concentrate on archery.

Oz, my buddy and I are in the same situation. Ended up with way more deer points than we ever intended. Now there seems to be few places worthy of the points. Really hate to pay the fees for a private ground hunt. What a dilemma!

Well, I never planned to have 17 deer points. Every time I was ready to use them there was a massive winter kill. Wanted to archery hunt the Gunnison basin. Now that I have all those points I’d like to experience one good November rifle rut hunt and then I will never have those points again and concentrate on archery.
The ship really sailed the last couple years… gonna be a few good one running around but you can read report after report of 3rd and 4th season hunts from last year and you’ll get the jist of what the reality of it is. Colorado is headed in a bad direction

I hunted the entire 66 3rd last year and talked to lots of guys in town hunting the other units. lots of long faces and no big bucks taken anyone had heard about. I'm sure a few were but the bottom line is don't get your hopes up, by the end of season 3 year old bucks were pretty scarce.

We had a great time but the Gunnison basin will be years coming back if it ever does.

The Gunnison basin has a rough enough time with just winterkill. When you throw in the mix higher tag quotas plus the late rifle rut season dates its pretty much assured that older age class bucks will be a long time recovering....if ever.....unless the CPW gets their act together!

I can pretty much guarantee a lot more deer die from winterkill in the Gunny Valley than will likely ever happen from CWD! CWD is a horrible excuse for almost eliminating the older age class bucks across Colo!

The Gunnison basin has a rough enough time with just winterkill. When you throw in the mix higher tag quotas plus the late rifle rut season dates its pretty much assured that older age class bucks will be a long time recovering....if ever.....unless the CPW gets their act together!

I can pretty much guarantee a lot more deer die from winterkill in the Gunny Valley than will likely ever happen from CWD! CWD is a horrible excuse for almost eliminating the older age class bucks across Colo!
Alot of us who guide/live in the Gunnison Basin are in agreement that after this winter concludes and the last good slaughter this November concludes the deer herd will ultimately be in toast. How can you expect that upping tag numbers, adding doe tags and hunting them the whole month of November is going to create a sustainable deer herd? Colorado Parks and wildlife has ultimately destroyed its greatest resource in the pursuit of profit. Once the wolves settle in, the currently thriving moose population will be eliminated from the West Elks and the already struggling and declining elk herd will be crushed.

Alot of us who guide/live in the Gunnison Basin are in agreement that after this winter concludes and the last good slaughter this November concludes the deer herd will ultimately be in toast. How can you expect that upping tag numbers, adding doe tags and hunting them the whole month of November is going to create a sustainable deer herd? Colorado Parks and wildlife has ultimately destroyed its greatest resource in the pursuit of profit. Once the wolves settle in, the currently thriving moose population will be eliminated from the West Elks and the already struggling and declining elk herd will be crushed.
Spot on. The wolves will decimate the remaining game. It’s been 20 since they were re-introduced in WI. The deer population on public land in northern WI has become nonexistent. Where our crew used to harvest 2-3 bucks per year, a successful year is to “see” 2-3 deer.

Spot on. The wolves will decimate the remaining game. It’s been 20 since they were re-introduced in WI. The deer population on public land in northern WI has become nonexistent. Where our crew used to harvest 2-3 bucks per year, a successful year is to “see” 2-3 deer.
The elk hunting is already pretty brutal in Gunnison. When I first started guiding it in 2011 it was pretty standard to kill 30 bulls a season. Now days it takes a hell of an effort to kill a dozen. A fellow outfitter and myself did a podcast on the decline of Colorado and the bad road we are heading. It’s opened a lot of eyes for those who have the mindset of “oh let’s ride it out and pray it gets better” kind of people we don’t spend 100 plus days a year on the mountain watching everything we love being destroyed

The elk hunting is already pretty brutal in Gunnison. When I first started guiding it in 2011 it was pretty standard to kill 30 bulls a season. Now days it takes a hell of an effort to kill a dozen. A fellow outfitter and myself did a podcast on the decline of Colorado and the bad road we are heading. It’s opened a lot of eyes for those who have the mindset of “oh let’s ride it out and pray it gets better” kind of people we don’t spend 100 plus days a year on the mountain watching everything we love being destroyed
You definitely better use your moose points if you can, they will be the first species to decline substantially….
Wyoming doesn’t even issue a tag in an area they used to give over 80 a year pre wolf…
other areas give 3-5 tags where there used to be 60+….
anyone who thinks wolves won’t decimate your hunting opportunities is flat out WOKE

That’s odd that the wolves only kill the deer on public land and not on private. Interestingly enough, WI somehow still manages to lead the nation in B&C entries even topping wolfless states like Iowa and Kansas.

In 2018 I decided I wanted out of CO's ridiculous preference point system for deer. That year I burned 15 pts on an archery deer hunt. No regrets either.

In 2018 I decided I wanted out of CO's ridiculous preference point system for deer. That year I burned 15 pts on an archery deer hunt. No regrets either.
So do you not hunt deer anymore? No one likes a quitter

I'm still hunting everything I can anywhere I can get a tag. Just will never let myself get that many pts for deer in CO again.

I'm still hunting everything I can anywhere I can get a tag. Just will never let myself get that many pts for deer in CO again.
Oh ok. Your last post made it sound like you stopped hunting CO. Good luck in the draws!

I would agree with old man on deer in northern Wisconsin. On private land , the wolves don't live as long.

That’s odd that the wolves only kill the deer on public land and not on private. Interestingly enough, WI somehow still manages to lead the nation in B&C entries even topping wolfless states like Iowa and Kansas.
The counties providing the majority of those B&C entries are Buffalo (#1), Vernon, Trempealeau, Crawford, etc. The thing they have in common is no wolves. Most of the land is private and if wolf were to venture into these trophy counties, they’re life expectancy would be _____

Living close to the Iowa/Wisconsin border I can tell you two things - there are no wolves in the main deer counties of WI and Wisconsin deer hunting is 10X better than Iowa. People don't realize that 70% of Iowa is farmed fence row to fence row. The big deer in Iowa are coming out of 10% to 15% of the counties. Unfortunately, Iowa was peaking about the time superstar hunting was exploding and lots of them landed here.

I burned my 9 NR deer points on a hunt that only took 6. And I don't regret it a bit. The timing of the season and my available vacation made last year "the" year for me to do it.
Now I have to decide what to do with my 13 elk points. I'm firmly entrenched in no man's land there.

I burned my 9 NR deer points on a hunt that only took 6. And I don't regret it a bit. The timing of the season and my available vacation made last year "the" year for me to do it.
Now I have to decide what to do with my 13 elk points. I'm firmly entrenched in no man's land there.
Did you shoot a buck?

Hey Sambo. Been a few years since talked with you about your colorado elk hunt. Glad you got it done on your deer last year. Hope it was fun and some good memories like your elk hunt.

Did the same last year with one of my boys. Put in with 8 points for a unit that took 6 point and had a blast and took a great 3x3.

I had a great time. I'd never hunted the unit before. I scouted 2 days and got him on the afternoon of the opener. I had also found a 24" wide 5x4 that didn't have as much mass. I didn't turn him up opening morning, and with the other hunter pressure I wasn't going to hunt exclusively for him. I'm very happy with my buck.
I'm glad you and your son had success too!

That & Now They Have The WINTER OF 22-23 EXCUSE!

Which Took A Hit On Game Herds!

They Never Mention Their Over Hunting Tactics!

It’s really a shame what the CPW has done for the sake of selling more tags. The CWD excuse is pathetic!

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom