Nr Elk

IdBghrn

What does a guy do with 12 non-resident elk points? Probably never catch up with max point pool but really want to go hunt elk. Open to any weapon type and any terrain type.

Do not split them with someone for a general. You didn’t build points for 12 years to hunt the general. You can do that after you burn these points and build some more. There are a bunch of options depending on what you are looking for.

Well that depends on who you would be splitting them with. The original purpose of point sharing is for family and close friends. In that case it might be a reasonable option to consider.

I think you get into some good wilderness units in NW part of state that effectively require a guide for nonresidents.

Like others have said don't burn 12 points on a general tag.
I see you are open to archery. There are several good archery tags that you can get with 12 points.
Are you open to hunting in grizz country? That also opens up a couple options.
If you are open to paying the higher special tag fee that also opens up some options.
Go on the G&F website and look at drawing odds. That will narrow down your choices and then you can research units that are within your reach.

I only have 9 points. If I had 12 I know exactly where I would be putting in for if I wanted to draw a tag but I won't say anything on a public forum.

What does a guy do with 12 non-resident elk points? Probably never catch up with max point pool but really want to go hunt elk. Open to any weapon type and any terrain type.
You waited 12 years for something special. If you cash in now, you will never be in this position again due to point creep. There are some good hunts you can draw right now but the hunts you have been dreaming about are still a few years away imo. No, you won't reach max but you can make a pretty big jump up in hunt quality by waiting a little longer imo.

That said, the increase in special tag price will likely place some more tags within reach for next fall if you are willing to spend 2k on the tag.

Yeah don't bother with any general units. Definitely not worth having an epic hunt with a couple of your closest friends or family. Definitely not worth finding some one really awesome with horses or lamas to pack in with for a week.

Seriously a WY general elk tag is likely better than 70% of the limited draw tags in other states. It will take some homework, but there are some great elk to be had on general tags and with a little work the archery hunt in the general can be pretty phenomenal.

Sure you could look for a mid tier hunt in a unit that has tricky access, you might look at units with bears, but since you are not sharing points then dealing with a bear and a dead elk solo could be a bit of nightmare.

Just for reference see recent thread about 45... 14 points...

Also as a another point... Between scouting and hunting for my sons sheep hunt we spent 24 days this year in a unit that less than 50% odd in the regular draw with max points. We only saw 2 elk better than my general bull. And the majority of the bulls we saw were about the same as my sons general bull last year...

The point, do not discredit the general tags especially if you have the opportunity to hunt with someone who knows an area well and has a proven track record.

Meat Bull.jpg

will bull.jpg

I would not use 12 points on a general tag and I have hunted WY general a bunch. The bull in my avatar is a 320+ WY general bull. There are units that you can draw, some I have hunted, that would provide a much better hunt. By better I don't always mean a bigger bull. Sometimes better is the same quality with much less hunting pressure and a lot more elk action.

My son has 10 points right now and if he had 12 he would be hunting next year. He might be with 10.

I'm just glad I finally got moved to WY and won't have to worry about all this NR point stuff once my 12 month wait is over :)

With 12 NR points you've got some options. Check the Wyo F&G website for the pertinent stats. Also, decide what terrain and how hard you wanna work for an opportunity. If time is limited and finances allow consider a reputable outfitter within the unit(s) you can draw. Wyo NR elk application deadline is end of Jan. 2024 so now is the time to do your homework. Temper your expectations as you won't be hunting a blue chip unit but you can still have a quality hunt experience.

I'll be cashing my double digit points in 2024 and jumping into the general NR hunt cycle going forward.

Thanks for all of the replies. Some great advice. Looking at points and odds. The bighorns pretty nice. I don’t have an issue with bears and would love a quality tyou 9 tag. Would rather deal with bears than private.

Thanks for all of the replies. Some great advice. Looking at points and odds. The bighorns pretty nice. I don’t have an issue with bears and would love a quality tyou 9 tag. Would rather deal with bears than private.

remember wilderness requires a guide

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom