NR's heading to AZ for the Jan bowhunt

BigPig

Very Active Member
What are you guys doing about the new OHV sticker requirement? They are not going to be available until Jan 1 and you need an AZ Title to get one in the first place. So what are the guys heading out to AZ on 1/1 for the bow hunt supposed to do? Stop at a MVD office and waste 3 hours? No thanks. Do they not realize that beginning Jan 1 there will be thousands of hunters pulling quads into AZ from out of state? Sure makes it hard to follow the law.

http://www.azgfd.gov/outdoor_recreation/ohvFAQ.shtml

i asked the AZGFD how do i get a sticker for my OHV on 1/1/09 when it is a holiday and they dont work and you cant get a sticker ahead of time? they emailed back saying "check the web site, there may be an update".

Azsagebrush

Don't take this for gospel, but I'm guessing there will be some leeway given for an unspecified period before they issue citations. This is probably especially the case with NRs who are unaware of the new law.

I'll try to reach one of my contacts at the AZG&FD to find out more.

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

Okay, I just spoke to one contact, and he told me that there will obviously have to be some probationary time involved. So at first, it will be more of an information/education thingie if you get stopped.

Also, you do not need an ARIZONA title/plate, but you will eventually need one from whatever state you live in order to use the OHV in AZ.

I also have a message in to the head of the department's OHV program because I want to ask him a few other questions about the enforcement of the new law. The other contact said any of the agencies -- G&F, BLM, USFW, USFWS -- will be enforcing the law. As such, I will ask if they will also be giving an education rather than a citation.

Stay tuned.

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

Okay, here's the latest from the AGFD director of the OHV program.

IF you already have an OHV decal/license from your home state, you will NOT need to buy one for AZ. IOW, it's just like the boat decals -- one from any state is good in another. The period of use this way is 30 days. The one caveat is that the rider MUST own the OHV and be from the same state where the decal is from.

According to him, the only adjacent state where it should be a problem is Nevada, where there is no OHV program. In that case, they will be tolerant early on. He said that he realizes a lot of people won't even know about the OHV decal requirement at first, so the enforcement agencies will be passing on that info rather than citing riders early on.

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

LAST EDITED ON Nov-25-08 AT 02:33PM (MST)[p]Thanks Tony. Get your buddy to post that info on the website because it clearly states the opposit of that information.

So we're good for the first 30 days, but after that, then what? We get a one month "grace period" after Jan 1st, did I read that right? How do out of staters get an AZ title and license plate? A license plate? That seems wrong. It's not street legal. Does that mean I have to register my quad in AZ even though it is already registered in CA? You don't have to do that with regular vehicles, why with a quad? Where the heck would you even put a license plate on a quad? This is lame.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-25-08 AT 03:57PM (MST)[p]No, all you need to do is get the CALIFORNIA OHV permit, i.e. a red or green sticker mentioned in the rules below. Once you have that, you're good to go here. Anytime you bring it to AZ, you can use it OFF ROAD for 30 days.

They will update the web site shortly with more info. Heck, they don't even know what the OHV decal will cost as of right now. :eek:

The need for the AZ title/plate is for AZ RESIDENTS ONLY and only if the OHV will be used on the roads. For strictly off-road use, there will be a special exemption rule as mentioned on the web site.

As long as the OHV complies with the laws in the state you live in and it's registered in their OHV program, nothing else is needed here.

Here are rules for CA. Note the bolded part.

All vehicles which are operated on public lands must be registered with the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). The registration fee is $50 per vehicle, and is valid for a two-year period. The OHV fees are used for acquisition of new OHV areas, development and operation of existing OHV areas, enforcement of the rules and regulations, and protection of the natural resources.

DMV will issue a Green or Red Sticker for off-highway vehicles. Vehicles which can be operated both on- and off-highway will be given a street-legal license.

OHV Registration Requirements
In order to operate any type of motorized vehicle off-highway on public land, you must have one of the following:

Street-Legal License Plate: If you want to operate a 4-wheel drive vehicle or dual-purpose motorcycle on-highway and off-highway, you must have a street-legal license plate.

The Green Sticker Or Red Sticker: If you are going to operate a motorized vehicle off-highway only, you must have either a Green Sticker or a Red Sticker that has been issued by the DMV. The Green Sticker allows vehicles to operate on public land all year. The Red Sticker is for motorcycles and ATVs model year 2003 and newer that do not meet the emission standards established by the California Air Resources Board. If the vehicle has a 3 or a C in the eighth position of the Vehicle Identification Number, then it does not meet the emission standards and should be issued a Red Sticker. The Red Sticker is exactly the same as the Green Sticker except that these vehicles can only be operated during certain times of the year.

To learn more about the DMV's Red and Green Sticker OHV registration, please click here.

To find out when you can operate your vehicle, call the specific riding area that you want to visit or you can follow the link to the Red Sticker Open Riding Schedule.

Closed Course Competition: Some race courses can be designated as a closed course. A Transportation Permit must be obtained from DMV to transport your vehicle to and from a race course.

Nonresident Permit: You will need to purchase a special Nonresident OHV Permit if you are not a California resident AND your off-highway vehicle or snowmobile is not registered in your home state. Your state's plate or sticker must be clearly visible on the vehicle.

To find out where Nonresident OHV Permits can be purchased, please download the following PDF:

Nonresident Permit - Vendor List (PDF) - as of 11/19/08
To get more information about the program, please contact a local Ranger or the OHMVR Division at:

California State Parks ? OHMVR Division, Nonresident Permit Program
P.O. Box 942896 Sacramento, CA 94296-0001
(916) 324-4442; Email, [email protected]

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

I've got a CA green sticker. Your explanation makes a hell of a lot more sense than the website's. Why doesn't it just say that out of State OHV permits are valid in AZ for a period of 30 days? Case closed, no need for interpretation. The bureaucrats must need to overcomplicate matters to justify thie jobs.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-26-08 AT 10:10AM (MST)[p]Then you're good to go!

The page you're looking at is probably the one that addresses RESIDENTS of AZ. Senate Bill SB1167 at http://www.azleg.gov/legtext/48leg/2r/adopted/h.1167-se-nrps.pdf contains ALL of the regulations in rough form. See below.

28-1178. Operation of off-highway vehicles; exceptions
17 A PERSON MAY OPERATE AN ALL-TERRAIN VEHICLE OR AN OFF-HIGHWAY VEHICLE
18 IN THIS STATE WITHOUT AN OFF-HIGHWAY VEHICLE USER INDICIA ISSUED PURSUANT TO
19 SECTION 28-1177 IF ANY OF THE FOLLOWING APPLIES:
20 1. THE PERSON IS PARTICIPATING IN AN OFF-HIGHWAY SPECIAL EVENT.
21 2. THE PERSON IS OPERATING AN ALL-TERRAIN VEHICLE OR AN OFF-HIGHWAY
22 VEHICLE ON PRIVATE LAND.
23 3. THE PERSON IS LOADING OR UNLOADING AN ALL-TERRAIN VEHICLE OR AN
24 OFF-HIGHWAY VEHICLE FROM A VEHICLE.
25 4. DURING A PERIOD OF EMERGENCY OR IF THE OPERATION IS DIRECTED BY A
26 PEACE OFFICER OR OTHER PUBLIC AUTHORITY.
27 5. ALL OF THE FOLLOWING APPLY:
28 (a) THE PERSON IS NOT A RESIDENT OF THIS STATE.
29 (b) THE PERSON OWNS THE VEHICLE.
30 (c) THE VEHICLE DISPLAYS A CURRENT OFF-HIGHWAY VEHICLE USER INDICIA OR
31 REGISTRATION FROM THE PERSON'S STATE OF RESIDENCY.
32 (d) THE VEHICLE IS NOT IN THIS STATE FOR MORE THAN THIRTY CONSECUTIVE
33 DAYS.

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

At my suggesstion, AGFD added the following to the OHV web page at http://www.azgfd.gov/outdoor_recreation/ohvFAQ.shtml#Are

The info for nonresidents is under:

SAFE, ETHICAL AND RESPONSIBLE OPERATION

Are there any OHV Decal exceptions -or- I'm from out-of-state do I need to purchase the OHV Decal?

A person may operate an all-terrain vehicle or an off-highway vehicle in Arizona without an off-highway vehicle user indicia (OHV Decal) if any of the following applies:

*The person is participating in an off-highway special event
*The person is operating an all-terrain vehicle or off-highway vehicle on private land
*The person is loading or unloading an all-terrain vehicle or off-highway vehicle from a vehicle
*During a period of emergency of if the operation is directed by a peace officer or other public authority

or

All of the following apply (For non-residents):
*The person is not a resident of Arizona.
*The person owns the vehicle
*The vehicle diplays a current off-highway vehicle user indicia or registration from the person's state of residency.
*The vehicle is not in Arizona for more than thirty (30) consecutive days.

Note: If your state does not title or register OHV's then you would be required to get an Arizona title and purchase the OHV Decal.

TONY MANDILE
48e63dfa482a34a9.jpg

How To Hunt Coues Deer

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom