nv 14 deer advice

N

nvribsplitter

i have an early season rifle 14 deer tag i have an idea where to go but need some advice

If you are talking unit 14, not 014 I would spend the night before the season sleeping on Diamond Peak.

Or wait til the last week and glass from the bottom with quality optics. It's only 2-3 hours to the top.

thanks for the advice i was thinkin the back of roberts or table mtn i've also been scouting frenchies

I have hunted this unit 3 times. We have had good luck in 141 in the head of sheep creek. Also during a scouting trip in 2001 came across 2 really good bucks next to the buckhorn mines in unit 141.
I have hunted the Diamonds on those trips and all I have run into there is big 2pts. 26in plus, I did see one really nice buck come out of telegraph canyon to the north up on top.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-03-09 AT 07:59AM (MST)[p]I will also be going up there on the last week of the muzzy hunt I have only hunted the diamonds in the past.My problem is my girlfriend has the tag and the places I have been I dont think I can get her into them she hurt her knee a few months ago and its still not well.If anybody has sugestions on some low country we could glass it would be appreciated you can PM me thanks.
NVribsplitter I will let you know what we see after our hunt, also Two years ago my friend had the muzzy tag and I saw plenty of decent bucks in the diamonds mostley 4x4s.

the other day i went out behind roberts mountain looking to scout an area my dad took me when i was around 14 yrs old i didnt find the exact place. but i did find some good country where the deer could be found once the weather starts cooling and there was good access for low land with not so many trees and higher.

A long time ago we hunted the tops just south of Telegraph, think it was the head of Horse Canyon and the one to the south of Horse. Tons of deer and 2 legit 30"ers. About 5 years ago a friend drew and I tagged along. We packed out after two days. Saw less than 20 deer. Walked up Diamond in the dark several hours the next day and saw 2 he woulda shot. I think he ended up eating his tag.

In 144, take the Cottonwood Ranch Rd. up along the west side of the Diamonds, keep checking the access roads to the Mtn until you find the "old Charcol Kilns".
Then start walking back in there and you will have two or three different trails to follow up into the back country.

The best time though is when the weather starts to change like "SNOW" and cold. Found some really nice Bucks in there back in '96......the kicker was we were hunting late in Oct. and season then ended in the first part of NOV.

Found out later that after we left...heavy blizzard came and the town of Eureka was right in the way of the deer migrating down out of there to the south in 145 & 131. Must have been a sight to see like the old days.

Good luck,

Brian

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom