NV sheep scouting

hezzy

4af6f7493f74d998.jpg

These first three are of a ram that we walked right into by accident. we had him at 140 yards. looks to me like he has great mass and great broomed off ends, but not real long.
4af6f65137b9764e.jpg

4af6f679382a3d45.jpg

4af6f68f38859ec7.jpg

These last few pics are of a ram i spotted way across the canyon.(the very first pic). I'm not great at judging rams but i think he is a shooter. please give me your opinion we're still learning. i wish that he was just a little closer so you could see him a little more clearly. the ends of his horns resembled that of the first one. about 2 to 2.5 inches across the broomed end. also the end of the curl ended above the bridge of his nose. if you had this once in a lifetime tag would you pin it to this bad boy or keep lookin around?
4af6f6b7391565f0.jpg

4af6f6cc3da16b68.jpg

4af6f6fd3e533097.jpg

4af6f72a3ef9983a.jpg

Hard to tell from those pics man. If your doing the whole camera through the spotting scope thing try zooming the camera all the way in. You should get less black crap and a way closer picture. that second ram looks pretty solid in the second picture and looking solid from so far away there is a good chance he's a shooter but the angles and distance of the photos make it real tough to make a call. Keep the pics coming though.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-08-09 AT 03:31PM (MST)[p]Hezzy;
Nimrod is right, it's a little hard for us to tell 100% but if I had to make a semi-educated (LOL) guess I would say he's a solid shooter. He's got a beautiful shape to his horns and a big ram look. Did you say broomed and still above the nose?
If I can see what I think I can see he's got good length but great mass. My answer would be "BOOM".
I've been on 2 Nevada sheep hunts where 162" and 168" rams were taken. This year in Utah my daughter shot a 163" ram.
The reason for bringing all this up is to say "I think you have a very good shooter here" IMO. As you know, everything depends on how much time you have and what looks good to YOU.
Cheap advise: Don't let the tape tell you if you had a good hunt! What have the recent hunters been shooting the last few years? What are the typical bases on the rams in your hunting unit? When is your hunt?
I'm going to show yout photos around a little and get more opinions for you. (I hope you were really asking our opinions, otherwise we will just be boring you to death)
Good luck, Zeke

As NVBighorn is questioning above, it's also going to depend on which area you guys are hunting and in turn what size sheep that area typically produces as well.

hezzy, what area do you have? That will more than likely tell me if he is a shooter or not.

I cant remember the area number but its called the arrows, or battleship, or maybe ute canyon/side canyon. We'll have plenty of time to hunt, we have about the first 9 days set aside. and then we'll see after that. We live about a half hour away also so thats good for scouting. next saturday we're headed to side canyon supposedly there's better rams over on that range, I'll let ya know if that holds true.

Sounds like they're hunting in unit 244. They have killed some good ones in there. If it was my tag and I only lived 30 mins away I would take my time and enjoy the hunt. Good Luck and dont forget to post pictures after the hunt.

I looked up the draw results for Nevada and I think that is the 272 area by Lake Mead. Last year there was a 172 and a 155 class ram that was taken. That is a very large area so I would glass long and hard, both Rams look very nice though.

its unit 244. oh and by the way its my dads tag. how do you guys look up what size of sheep have been killed in there in recent years? my cousin killed a mid 160's in there four or five years ago but thats all i know of.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-09-09 AT 03:30PM (MST)[p]hezzy they have been killing some nice respectable rams out of 244, the ram you found looks like a pretty solid ram for that area. But remember one thing, is YOUR dad gonna be happy with him after he pulls the trigger? It sounds like you have plenty of time, so looking more is not gonna hurt. Good luck and have fun, I know I did when I killed my desert!

My dad didnt end up killin this ram. we could never find this ram during the hunt. we're pretty sure we found him one of the first evenings of the hunt but it was darn near dark and quite a ways away. i'll post up all the pics and the story.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom