NV unit 211N sheep Question

silverstatehunter

Hey Guys,

I posted this in the Nevada forum also. I have done a ton of research on unit 211N for the desert bighorn sheep. What is the deal with this unit. It holds one of the biggest populations of Desert Sheep (estimated at around 270 animals) There has been 16 rams taken since 2006 and the biggest ram taken is a 148 class Ram. My question is why isn't there any big boys coming out of here. Is it a lack of Mass or have they broomed there horns down to stumps. I have 13 points going into this season and it may be my last season as a resident. So I need to draw something ASAP. I would love to talk with anyone that knows this area or has hunted it in the past. Thanks for the help. Shoot me a PM thanks.

nvnative is a great resource. He sent me the check out summaries for NV Deserts this year and I noticed that most of the sheep harvested in that unit were not real old 4-6, which may have something to do with their scores, but it also appears that the genes in that unit are stunted. Kind of like we have in Utah. At any rate, good luck on drawing a tag. After 13 years you ought to be close to a tag.
If you move out of state in Nevada, do your points transfer with you to NR status? And vise-versa? Or do you have to start over?
That would be the pits!

LB,
You keep your points when you leave Nevada (took mine when I moved in 2008). You do have to contact NDOW and switch the points from resident to non-ressy.

I'm sure nvnative already answered your question but I'll give it a shot too. I think it's generally agreed that those sheep in 211 and 212 are slightly genetically different than the "bigger" sheep. Several other units with native sheep have exhibited the same characteristic smaller horns. I heard a biologist say once that he felt a case could be made that those sheep on the northern fringes of historic desert sheep range in Nevada may be a distinct separate race of sheep, genetically speaking.

Back in the 1980s before the days of "any ram" being legal to harvest the regulations stated that a sheep had to be at least 7 years old OR have score of 144 points (using the horn with the most points doubled, which is where the term "Nevada Score" originated). Even under that ruling it was sometimes difficult for sheep in 211 and 212 to make the minimum score even if they were 7+. I believe the minimum score in those areas was lowered to 138 before they went to any ram.

There have been several attempts to put rams in those areas from herds with bigger horns. I'm not sure I agree that they should have been "improving" genetics but I think it came from pressure from hunters that felt the sheep needed to be bigger. The sheep from those areas have also been moved to other areas in the hope that they had adapted better to mountain lion pressure. I don't know if there was any merit to that but a good argument could be made for it.

Over the years there have occasionally been some very big rams harvested in those areas which were likely rams who had immigrated in from a nearby area containing transplanted sheep that originated elsewhere.

I do know that the rams from those areas are beautiful little animals and in their own right they are surely as good of a trophy as any.

NVBighorn has some good points about that area. And like he said if score isn't a big issue then there are some good looking rams in there.

NVBighorn I was out in your neck of the woods today. I had to get a buddy out of the house so his wife could get his surprise birthday party ready. We saw some sheep in the eastgate hills and there is one less coyote running around out there :)

Looks like everyone is pretty busy out there. I saw alot of guys haulng stock trailers around didnt see you though. Have you been busy also?

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom