NW Colorado update

elks96

Long Time Member
I covered a ton of ground on Saturday and Sunday coyote hunting in the NW Region from Meeker to Rangely. It was absolutely amazing what a difference a couple weeks made. The last time I was out it was unreal and by far some of the worst conditions I had seen. Things have gotten much better.

For example one area we were rabbit hunting had snow high enough for us to walk on the snow crust above the top wire of the fence. This same week had the snow only about 6" deep. It was a hard solid 6" but feet of snow had to melt. I also witnessed on Saturday morning a pretty good mass migration of deer. The deer were traveling from areas where they had been trapped on steep south slopes into areas where they would "traditionally" winter. Those making it into these areas were able to completely pig out since all the feed had been covered. I was able to watch the deer feed nonstop for a 1/2 straight with out expending any energy.

I saw a a lot of deer in areas where there were not even tracks before. It also felt like a lot of last years fawns were still around and looking good. In many cases there were twins running with the mothers still. In all the deer I saw none looked horrible, but they were all light in the weight. They seem to be getting along just fine now.

I am still concerned that some may have gotten stuck and not able to escape the deep snows. I am not sure what the total mortality will end up being but I really feel like we dodge a major bullet.

It did seem like there was significant road kill lately as the animals are moving and crossing more. Also wonder how the closure of I70 effected things when traffic in the NW went crazy as the interstate was closed.

As for the Colorado River Basin. Things are much the same however our snow depth was not nearly as extreme and the crust on the snow not nearly as bad. The deer around Rifle are doing pretty well and are starting to move away from the lowest country and back into better feeding area. This holds true from New Castle area to Debeque areas. My yard here in Rifle went from 2 feet of heavy wet snow to 90% bare ground.

The final indication will be the number of permits they draw. I bet we will see some reduction in total tag numbers, but nothing like the issues we were facing a month ago.

Now we just need a few wet storms to come through and help prevent a summer drought. LOL!

Road kill is always bad going into March and into April. I think some early greenup along the roads has a lot to do with it.

Glad to hear conditions have improved, that is good news.

Awesome...thanks for the report Rob! Glad to see things improving.

Cancer doesn't discriminate...don't take your good health for granted because it can be gone in a heartbeat. Please go back and read the last line. This time really understand what it says.

So my notes were all about the white river area and south! The news is not nearly as good for the yams river area further north. I was at a meeting tonight with the Division of wildlife and they are still expecting a bad winter kill on both elk and deer. Antelope will be even worse.

The snow was just deeper and temps have stayed cooler in the area. So maybell, Craig, Hayden, Steamboat all looking bad. They are expecting tag reductions in most of the NW corner to some extent but definitely higher in the Yampa areas.

Great info! Do you think this will cause a lot of guys to dump points elsewhere?
Any idea how south of I70 is?

I plan on doing some hunting arround Rabbit ears Pass but may look alittle further south after talking with the forest service yesterday.

Thanks. I appreciate your efforts to keep us informed. Sounds like things are better than was feared, but still not real good, especially farther north.

Rob,

Hello from Montana. Thanks for taking the time to keep us informed on conditions.

Mark
muledeer.jpg

My hunting spot is so secret, not even the elk have found it yet.

We were up Roan Creek today. We saw hundreds of deer in good health and about 200 elk. Lots of turkey too.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom