NY 1st to fall- new gun laws.

jodog

Very Active Member
Wheres John Wilkes Booth, Lee Harvey Oswald or James Earl Ray when you need them ? Like a theif in the night it is starting in NY and will probably steam roll through alot of other states.....IMO Just the begining.

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) ? New York lawmakers agreed to pass the toughest gun control law in the nation and the first since the Newtown, Conn., school shooting, calling for a stricter assault weapons ban and provisions to keep guns out of the hands of the mentally ill who make threats.

"This is a scourge on society," Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Monday night, six days after making gun control a centerpiece of his agenda in his State of the State address. The bipartisan effort was fueled by the Newtown tragedy that took the lives of 20 first graders and six educators. "At what point do you say, 'No more innocent loss of life'?"

The measure also calls for restrictions on ammunition and the sale of guns. It is expected to pass Tuesday.

"This is not about taking anyone's rights away," said Sen. Jeffrey Klein, a Bronx Democrat. "It's about a safe society ... today we are setting the mark for the rest of the county to do what's right."

Under current state law, assault weapons are defined by having two "military rifle" features, such as folding stock, muzzle flash suppressor or bayonet mount. The proposal would reduce that to one feature, including the popular pistol grip. The language specifically targeted the military-style rifle used in the Newtown shootings.

Current owners of those guns will have to register them.

Private sales of assault weapons to someone other than an immediate family would be subject to a background check through a dealer. New Yorkers also would be barred from buying assault weapons over the Internet, and failing to safely store a weapon could lead to a misdemeanor charge.

Ammunition magazines would be restricted to seven bullets, from the current 10, and current owners of higher-capacity magazines would have a year to sell them out of state. An owner caught at home with eight or more bullets in a magazine could face a misdemeanor charge.

Stores that sell ammunition will have to register with the state, run background checks on buyers of bullets and keep an electronic database of bullet sales.

In another provision, a therapist who believes a mental health patient made a credible threat to use a gun illegally would be required to report it to a mental health director who would have to notify the state. A patient's gun could be taken from him or her.

The legislation also increases sentences for gun crimes including the shooting of a first responder that Cuomo called the "Webster provision." Last month in the western New York town of Webster, two firefighters were killed after responding to a fire set by the shooter, who eventually killed himself.

The measure passed the Senate 43-18 on the strength of support from Democrats, many of whom previously sponsored bills that were once blocked by Republicans. The Democrat-led Assembly gaveled out before midnight and planned to take the issue up at 10 a.m. Tuesday. It is expected to pass easily.

The governor confirmed the proposal, previously worked out in closed session, also would mandate a police registry of assault weapons, grandfathering in assault weapons already in private hands.

It was agreed upon exactly a month since the Sandy Hook Elementary School tragedy.

"It is well-balanced, it protects the Second Amendment," said Senate Republican leader Dean Skelos of Long Island.

"Cuomo said he wanted quick action to avoid a run on assault weapons and ammunition. He estimates there are already about 1 million assault weapons in New York state"........

Republican Sen. Greg Ball called that political opportunism in a rare criticism of the popular and powerful governor seen by his supporters as a possible candidate for president in 2016.

"We haven't saved any lives tonight, except one: the political life of a governor who wants to be president," said Ball who represents part of the Hudson Valley. "We have taken an entire category of firearms that are currently legal that are in the homes of law-abiding, tax paying citizens. ... We are now turning those law-abiding citizens into criminals."

In the gun debate, one concern for New York is its major gun manufacturer upstate.

Remington Arms Co. makes the Bushmaster semi-automatic rifle that was used in the Connecticut shootings and again on Christmas Eve when the two firefighters were slain in Webster. The two-century-old Remington factory in Ilion in central New York employs 1,000 workers in a Republican Senate district.

The bill was the first test of the new coalition in control of the Senate, which has long been run by Republicans opposed to gun control measures. The chamber is now in the hands of Republicans and five breakaway Democrats led by Klein, an arrangement expected to result in more progressive legislation.

Former Republican Sen. Michael Balboni said that for legislators from the more conservative upstate region of New York, gun control "has the intensity of the gay marriage issue." In 2011, three of four Republicans who crossed the aisle to vote for same-sex marriage ended up losing their jobs because of their votes.

___

AP Writer Michael Virtanen contributed to this report from Albany.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-15-13 AT 07:10PM (MST)[p]Yep, I posted this in the long thread of Piers Morgan vs Alex Jones earlier today when it went up on the net and stated it may be more of a worry that individual states will do what NY is doing, rather than worrying about our do nothing Congress up in DC. Cuomo is pushing this through in NY and just may be the #1 Lib to try and succeed Obama in 2016.

Concerning the background checks for buying ammo or guns. The N.Y. Gov. stated that he wanted more severe punishment for anyone lying on a background check.

When you fill out the ATF form 4473 for buying a gun from a licensed dealer. One of the questions is, "have you been convicted of a felony crime". The U.S. supreme court has already ruled years ago that a ex-felon lying on that question could not be charged with the crime of perjury as it was in violation of his 5th. ammendment rights of "self incrimination". Good possibilty it will set the scene for anyone else lying on the background check and there goes the criminal walking again.

New York was the first state to inact the 10 round rule for mags, now they are dropping it to 7 rounds. Some poor honest citizen who fails to count right ends up going to jail on a misdemeanor charge. Whoopee!! Common sense would have dictate them to have left it at 10 rounds. When does a liberal Democrat ever have any common sense.

I look for some states, CA. for one, to charge high fees to register hi-cap mags if grandfathered in, and to buy ammo. It will be a yearly fee instead of a one time deal and they will see it as a means to rake in millions of dollars per year on fees.

The one thing good is the mental health reporting, but lets say a mental health worker fails to act and and report. How are you going to know it if the mental health worker invokes the patient-doctor rule where their conversation is protected? Many health workers are against having to report one of their patients. I look for this one to end up in the supreme court and possibily going out the window.

RELH

RELH,

I agree and hope your right about this going to the Supreme Court and eventually getting thrown out. I also think a few states will be following suit. I feel bad for California!

Anxiously waiting to see what is proposed by Obama tomorrow, but it appears as though it will be high capacity ban and stricter background checks. Guess we will see.

What scares me is this passed in NY with a pretty strong following. Wasn't even close!

"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

In CA. there is a lot of Democrats that own guns for hunting and self defense. There may be a backlash if our state law makers try and collect a 50 dollar fee per year to register in order to just perchase ammo. I am hoping that enough citizens see it as a fee grab, in leu of taxes, and voice their opinion to their law makers Democrat or GOP.

So far one Democrat lawmaker has stated he is for writing a bill to charge a 50 dollar fee per year for background checks and to register in order to purchase ammo. Leave it to a damn liberal Democrat to combine gun laws with a way to make money for the general fund coffers.

RELH

Been lurking for years now, most of the time daily.

I am against gun control as much as anyone. however, the comment made by the OP about John Wilkes Booth, Lee Harvey Oswald, James Earl Ray, could be the most ignorant post I have ever seen.

What exactly are you trying to say? That two men who assassinated presidents, and one who killed a civil rights leader, should be around, to help us keep our 2nd amendment rights? BTW, all three used firearms. Yeah, way to prove we should keep our rights.

You sir, are the poster child of why the gov will take away our rights. I can see the posters now with your quote, as a reason, an ultra liberal battle cry to take every gun away from the citizens. Downright stupid.

Go back to lurking... This isn't the time for crying or tucking your tail between your legs. It's people that want to "nice" liberals into changeing their way that are wasting their time..
God - Guns and Guts made America...Lets keep all three !!

Fricken NY PUZZIES!

No,not all of You!

But Most of you!

"""Supporting Speed Limits doesn't make You Anti Car"""

No & You'll never Fix STUPID or WACKO'S by changing Gun Laws You Dumb BITTCH!

The lurker was exactly right because it was an assinine statement to make here or anywhere else for that matter! I guess you think tirades like Jones made on the Piers Morgan show and the Nuge with his BS half the time out in public really help our cause with fence sitters too!

No one is crying or ticking their tale between their legs. It is a ridiculous statement, at best, and completely dismisses any credibility you might have.

Continue to fight the good fight, but I doubt you will ever make anyone make an informed decision with such comments.

Topgun

I question where your loyalties lie. Look, we understand that you think Jones and Nuge are idiots. No one disagrees with you, but they are not the enemy. They want to protect our 2nd ammendment rights the same as you and me. Unfortunately they choose to do it in a distasteful way.It's their right to express their voice in the manner they choose. I can assure you the left has their babbling idiots (aka Biden, Pelosi, most of hollywood), and it sure didn't seem to hurt their cause. The reason the left is winning on almost every front is they band together, whilst we argue and name call amongst ourselves.Is it really any surprise Cuomo and the people of NY allowed a bill such as this to pass.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-16-13 AT 11:09AM (MST)[p]Not to worry Travis, as some can't see the forest for the trees!!! Those two may not be classified as our enemies, but they sure don't do anyone any good who is trying to look at things in a logical manner and see them go hell bent like they do. The people like us and them are for the 2nd Ammendment and all it stands for. It will take logic and reason to convince those who don't hunt, don't shoot, or don't know a deer from a rabbit to come to our side and defense and not some raving guy that comes across as one that would have shot Piers Morgan during the interview if he got the chance. Sure the Libs may have their differences, but it's only on how much they want to take or think they can get away with taking.

Hey Travis---How are Duke and Audrey doing and how's the weather your way?

We all have our weaknesses and mine are usually on display.... but back to the thread content....

How many freedoms are we willing to relinquish in the NAME of "safety"? We're going to "safety" us right out of our basic freedoms!

Too bad NY went this way but it's the time for all the antis to make their move. So sad.

Zeke

I'm sure Topgun is a great person. I just don't see how bashing people who are already on our side helps our cause.We can't anymore control the actions of Ted Nugent than the left can control the actions of Joe Biden. Both sides of the isle have their idiots. I just tend to tolerate our idiots more than those on the left. You can't use logic and reason with the left and come out on top. I believe many of these so called fence sitters are already on the left. Seriously, look who we re-elected, and it stands to reason that the very fence sitters we talk about are the ones who re-elected him. I'm sorry if I have offended you. I just happen to think Pierce Morgan is an A1 certified Moron, and when you chose to go off on Jones instead of Morgan it was kind of kick in the guts.

No need to go off on Morgan as we all know what he is and it's too bad we can't just send the SOB back to UK where he came from! This country is so polarized now and there are so many Libs and minority that think entitlements are the way the US should be that I don't think we will ever see what I was sued to in the first 1/2 of my life! I hate to say that, but I can't be very optomistic about our country's future the way things have been going the last couple decades.

Some of you guys are a little to ..PC.. for me. Do you really think I want J.W.B, L.H.O. or J.E.R. around ? Kind of a play on words.......right over your heads. Also the people of NY didn't have a say in this. This is just the start of things to come, investigate it a little. We need to stand up just like the hispanics did when the govt. decided they were going to deport a few million...they stood together and stood up...Didn't happen.

Look at the Travon Martin killing in FL. Black and white people didn't worry about being PC they stood up, took to the streets and got what they wanted.

So stop worrying that someone will be offended, stop being so PC and ...Stand up.

I don't see anyone else on TV every day like Ted Nugent trying to protect the 2nd ammendment.
So far I have spent $500 on NRA memberships for people that told me they would join but really didn't have the extra cash.
Do something, anything, buy your grandma a NRA membership but worrying about offending or not looking/sounding like a fortune 500 excutive isn't going to get us anywhere.....THE TIME HAS COME FELLERS AND IT'S RIGHT NOW !!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom