Observation

GotBowAz

Very Active Member
Im curios if any of you have noticed or have observed that rifle hunters appear to have the same or similar issues with bullet/cartridge selection as we do with BH?ds and arrows? I have been reading several issues folks have had with their bullet selection and bullet performances, be it close distances or long and some of the debates make me laugh. It sounds like they even have more issues than we Archers do. With that said it also appears they lose animals because of failed performances as well. The debates seem endless, the bullet didn't mushroom, it didn't pass through, they don't want it to pass through etc. etc.. I will be the first to admit I know absolutely nothing about ballistics and performances. I try to educate myself by reading these threads about it. But wow, it somewhat seems a little overwhelming with all the choices of caliber, manufacturers, type of bullets and what performances they get out of those bullets, and depending on who's opinion it is on what they feel a bullet should do as far as pass-through or all the energy stored in the animal, it can be a pretty tough crowd. I think I will stick to Archery. :)

GBA

I have noticed the same thing too.

Bullets or broadheads, it all comes down to placement. If a bullet doesn't mushroom, or a mechanical doesn't expand, it wont matter if it is a double lung shot.

LOL, Good observation GBA. But you have to admit it would be a quiet place without a little variety though.

If you consider that you get one, maybe two tags per year to hunt your state or multiple states if you are fortunate enough. If you are successful, that results in one post on MM. There are currently 11,558 active members on MM. A average of a 10% success rate of one animal per member would result in 1,156 posts of animals taken over a given year. If it takes three minutes to read through a post, that adds up to 3,467 minutes spent comparing everyone elses kill to yours, I mean congradulating our fellow MMers on jobs well done. There are 525,600 minutes in a year. That leaves 522,133 minutes per year with nothing to do but talk about stuff related to the outdoors. When that runs out, it's time to recycle previous topics. When that is exhausted, then it is time for people who enjoy the outdoors to talk about stuff completely unrelated to the outdoors. When every concievable topic is beat to death and every opinion has been expressed, then it is time for personal attacks and trash talk. Just before founder purges half of the membership to avoid violating numerous codes of conduct and decency laws, hunting season rolls around and the cycle repeats itself.

This explains how it is that in june and july we can read about things like ideal bullet jacket thickness, the recommended viscosity for bow wax, or how a blood blister affects trigger pull at higher elevations. It also explains how perfectly rational people can post something like, "....just shot me a mess of grasshoppers with my .17" or "...gopher at 60 yards with my bow!" This behavior is commonly the result of "cabin fever."

However, not all MM posts are not without some degree of merit. It has resulted in educational and spirited discussions on topics like proper grammer, all things related to sports, animal husbandry, home medical remedies, critical thinking, what to wear for halloween, inductive and deductive reasoning, and human anatomy.

The best posts are the ones are when guys spend countless hours shooting out to 700 yards and wind up shooting a deer/elk at 40 yards. Hey, even I can do that! From what I can put together, the perfect rifle is a 12gauge necked down to a 7mm with a scope that costs more then the rifle. If I shot as much with a rifle as I do with my bow, I would be out a couple of hundred a week! The one thing the rifle guys can agree on is to not hunt with a bow.

By the way, can you tell that archery season is over, I'm tagged out and now just trying to kill some time until 2012 rolls around? Time well spent!

I'm with you on "sticking" with a bow.

Good luck to everyone who still has a tag to fill.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-07-11 AT 01:35PM (MST)[p]Yep, I've noticed that too. You can take either, gun or bow hunting, and make it as technical as you want. There will always be nerds of both types, and I'm probably the poster boy! :)

LMAO BigPig. I'm actually glad there is folks out there like you as you and many others are a huge help in some very technical areas.

Dingo, great post! Between you and BigPig I got a good chuckle this morning. You pretty much summed up the MM world in one post. How true it is, good one! LOL

GBA

i say its even. archers make good and bad shots/choices and rifle hunters make good and bad/ choices to,

I think all hunters (both archery and rifle) tend to get wrapped up in gear performance. I even tend to get geekish about it when I get to shooting.
WVBOWAK

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom