OFF RANGE ORYX CHANGES

Amiehunt

To whom it may concern,

I believe making the off range Oryx hunt OTC year round would be a mistake. I have only participated in this hunt once but I believe it affords hunters with a very unique opportunity to hunt this animal in a true free ranging manner. I believe the population will be destroyed in a short period of time taking this opportunity away all together. I would much rather have to take my chances with the draw and have the opportunity to see one of these great animals than be able to buy a tag over the counter. If this initiative passes it will make this hunt more of a local thing with people living in close proximity to the range. I also believe this will up the populations on private land where the owner can limit hunting to benefit themselves and not the general hunting population. It would be hard to justify spending the money to travel a longer distance to try to hunt an animal that is relentlessly pursued year round. Let's keep the most unique free ranging hunting opportunity in the United States in tact for New Mexico.

Thank You

My dad sent this to Game and Fish but the eamil was undeliverable. Post your thoughts.

Amiehunt,

We had a thread on here a little while ago addressing the same issue and it looks as though you are on par with the majority of the opinions stated in that thread (btw, where did it go?). Not sure if they are still taking input but the email address is as follows: [email protected]

Oh yeah, post a picture of your oryx!!

I put in my .02 on a few issues and hunts that I stand to be affected by but that was some time ago. I know a few others did so as well and I hope that they gave some weight to our input. I came off sounding like quite the tree hugger but I did so knowing a little bit about the arguments behind the movement to eradicate oryx off-range and did so with the specific intent of keeping off-range oryx a draw only hunt. Here's what I said in my email to Fish and Game:

Regarding changing off-range oryx fom draw to over-the-counter status:

While the first year of OTC hunting would be great and people would be able to harvest simply by putting in enough time, I do not believe this to be a viable means of both continuing to provide a viable opportunity for off-range oryx hunters or for controlling the numbers or habitat impact caused by off-range oryx. I spend 35+ days a year hunting oryx with whichever of my buddies draws an off-range tag or quail hunting around the boundaries of the Stallion Range.

Firstly, there are relatively few animals that can consistently be found off range. Many of the off-range animals merely move back and forth between the missile range and off-range under the cover of dark due to hunting pressure and will continue to do so. The impact to habitat by so few of these invasive species on the surrounding lands is minimal due to the low numbers of animals that actually stay off-range without being harvested.

Secondly, while there would be an increase in revenue due to off-range OTC tag sales in the first year, I am certain that in the long term, as it becomes nearly impossible to harvest an off-range oryx and people lose interest, that there would be a noticeable drop in the revenue currently brought in by oryx license application and license fees. Then, after a few years of lesser pressure, oryx would begin moving off-range again and the cycle would repeat itself

Thirdly, there would be more damage to the fragile desert habitat in the region due to increased motorized traffic than there is currently caused by the few oryx that do move and live off-range. Sadly, oryx hunting has become synonymous with road hunting as hunters try to cover as much country as possible looking for what few oryx might have crossed off range. There is already too much damage cause by motorized vehicles leaving the designated roads in the off-range vicinity of the Stallion Range and this will only increase with the onslaught of human pressure put on these fragile lands by OTC oryx tag holders. The result will negate any positive benefits gained from completely removing oryx and their minimal impact on this environment. It simply is not a viable means of protecting native habitat. I've seen too many tire tracks going over burrowing owl mounds and roadkilled box turtles, and can only imagine the extent of what increased human pressure on these lands would do the native flora and fauna. Though I do not reccomend it as I come from an old cattle ranching family, removing or decreasing the number of cattle in the region would have a much greater impact on improving native habitat (specifically native grasses and plants) than removing the oryx. These lands are overgrazed not because there are too many oryx, but because there are too many cattle. Take a walk off the roads in November through January around the range and you will find areas where there is nothing but bare-earth, rock, cowpies, erosion, and shrubs.

Though I would selfishly like the opportunity to hunt oryx every year I would rather put in for off-range tags and draw every few years with the knowledge that I will be able to have a quality hunt and harvest more than just my on-range animal (assuming I harvest one next March).

While oryx are a non-native species, New Mexico is unique in that it offers this rare hunting opportunity that would otherwise only be available once in a person's life, or to those who would pay to hunt oryx on a high-fenced game preserve. To be able to effectively hunt oryx only once in a person's life would be a sad loss to the Sportsmen and women who enjoy New Mexico's unique and quality hunting experiences.

To both of you, is there a way I can just add a "+1" to what you've both already compiled and submitted to G&F?

Good job.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom